My thoughts for the future iteration for BA cricketing series

flake

County Cricketer
Off spinners in Ashes bowl way too many balls that go the other way, I really feel an in depth attribute editor like in 14 should be brought back. In swing, and outswing, and like in Cricket 07, certain bowlers shouldn’t be able to bowl deliveries they can’t in real life.

graham

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
My thoughts being big cricket game fan like the rest of you, I would like to see a game that is playable out the box .
Simpler menus for starters,
for any new people getting the game it’s just so fiddly to sort out from correct teams ,correct grounds, correct tours etc..
Every time I want to say do West Indies v England tour it hours of setting up.
Ba are making decent cricket games but I still feel they are trying to please everyone , we need a game that works out the box not in 6 months.
It’s Alienates any new fans with its complex set up.
Cheers

D

Deleted member 9102

I just want DBC14 timing-based bowling length back... No matter how good the rest of the game is, if the bowling just boils down to selecting one of 12 lengths (with maybe a few mm of error) then I have no interest in it.

Hopefully any future iteration is extensively tested and released in an acceptable state. Seems a rarity for BA games these days.

Some competition from another developer would be welcome.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I just want DBC14 timing-based bowling length back... No matter how good the rest of the game is, if the bowling just boils down to selecting one of 12 lengths (with maybe a few mm of error) then I have no interest in it.

Hopefully any future iteration is extensively tested and released in an acceptable state. Seems a rarity for BA games these days.

Some competition from another developer would be welcome.
I'm regularly able to bowl variable length. I'd certainly say more than 12.

D

Deleted member 9102

I'm regularly able to bowl variable length. I'd certainly say more than 12.
I'm not saying you can't miss the 12 exact lengths and hawkeye would draw lines on the pitch (though this was the case in DBC17), my gripe is with how the controls work - that you select one of the 12 lengths and any variation from what you select is very minimal.

Putting the ball on your desired length in DBC14 was a skill and satisfying when you got it right, with slight differences in timing producing significantly different deliveries... Now you just choose the ball and try to get "perfect" timing to increase your "delivery quality" bonus points. Less tactile controls, less realistic results and generally just a big downgrade in bowling mechanics between 14 and 17, subsequently kept the same in Ashes.

Last edited by a moderator:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I'm not saying you can't miss the 12 exact lengths and hawkeye would draw lines on the pitch (though this was the case in DBC17), my gripe is with how the controls work - that you select one of the 12 lengths and any variation from what you select is very minimal.

Putting the ball on your desired length in DBC14 was a skill and satisfying when you got it right, with slight differences in timing producing significantly different deliveries... Now you just choose the ball and try to get "perfect" timing to increase your "delivery quality" bonus points. Less tactile controls, less realistic results and generally just a big downgrade in bowling mechanics between 14 and 17, subsequently kept the same in Ashes.
I can select four types of length, adjust them all with the bumpers. In addition to that I adjust the seam position which as far as I can tell gives at least additional two variations in length, throw in the fuller or shorter bumper options and I reckon that equals about 36 different lengths.

I try to get perfect timing and perfect jump but I consistently miss them because I don't look at the bowling HUD. So getting a Perfect/Perfect delivery is a challenge and very satisfying, particularly if it leads to a wicket.

I don't think bowling is ideal but it in my opinion it's better than it's ever been.

D

Deleted member 9102

I can select four types of length, adjust them all with the bumpers. In addition to that I adjust the seam position which as far as I can tell gives at least additional two variations in length, throw in the fuller or shorter bumper options and I reckon that equals about 36 different lengths.

I try to get perfect timing and perfect jump but I consistently miss them because I don't look at the bowling HUD. So getting a Perfect/Perfect delivery is a challenge and very satisfying, particularly if it leads to a wicket.

I don't think bowling is ideal but it in my opinion it's better than it's ever been.
I don't think you understand my point at all.

Being able to select even more lengths (36 as you suggest) is a negative. You shouldn't just hold a few buttons/modifiers to plop the ball down within milimetres of a target, this is not immersive or skill based at all.

DBC14 had 3 length options - short, good and full. Finding the perfect yorker length for a "full" ball required exact timing; too early and it's a full toss, too late and it's a half-volley. Trying to find the perfect length to hit the top of off stump was a similar challenge etc... It was an actual skill based gameplay element that added to the feeling of having the ball in your hand.

Now the bowling length is reduced to something you just predetermine before the run-up. To me this is an objective downgrade to 14's mechanics.

D

Dutch

Being able to select even more lengths (36 as you suggest) is a negative. You shouldn't just hold a few buttons/modifiers to plop the ball down within milimetres of a target, this is not immersive or skill based at all.

DBC14 had 3 length options - short, good and full. Finding the perfect yorker length for a "full" ball required exact timing; too early and it's a full toss, too late and it's a half-volley. Trying to find the perfect length to hit the top of off stump was a similar challenge etc... It was an actual skill based gameplay element that added to the feeling of having the ball in your hand.

Now the bowling length is reduced to something you just predetermine before the run-up. To me this is an objective downgrade to 14's mechanics.
The general area is pre selected.....the actual length is dependant on when you release the ball......although I do agree that I found the dbc14 controls more intuitive.....

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

Maybe it's because I haven't played DBC 14 for a long time but I don't see a great difference in the mechanics. The UI is different, more user friendly in my opinion, but the principles seem the same.

In terms of a immersion, if I'm bowling in real life I make my decisions on where I'm going to pitch it, what delivery I'm going to bowl and then I attempt to execute that. If I get it wrong what I wanted to do doesn't happen. That's how the game works. I do think there could be a greater penalty for missing the timing, possibly a random deviation in line or length and a more apparent difficulty when using lower skilled bowlers.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Maybe it's because I haven't played DBC 14 for a long time but I don't see a great difference in the mechanics. The UI is different, more user friendly in my opinion, but the principles seem the same.

In terms of a immersion, if I'm bowling in real life I make my decisions on where I'm going to pitch it, what delivery I'm going to bowl and then I attempt to execute that. If I get it wrong what I wanted to do doesn't happen. That's how the game works. I do think there could be a greater penalty for missing the timing, possibly a random deviation in line or length and a more apparent difficulty when using lower skilled bowlers.

The problem is that choosing the length beforehand and basing if it is a "good ball" or not on whether you get the timing correct doesn't really make a lot of sense in a bunch of situations. If I choose to bowl a half-volley right in the slot the T20 death overs it doesn't matter if I get Perfect/Perfect, it should be going over the fence.

This is why I'd prefer a complete overhaul in how the AI batsmen interact with player bowling. They need to somehow be able to play balls on their merit and per the situation, rather than just reacting to how well you time your stick flick (or just cheating and being able to tonk any ball they want) as I covered previously in this thread.

D

Deleted member 9102

14's bowling is massively different, go back and try it... Pick a length button, bowl a few balls at each end of the timing zone and look at the pitch map. Do the same in 17/Ashes and you'll see my point. User inputs have a fraction of the impact on the delivery compared to 14.

I'd honestly rather have the old mechanics where you place a circle on the pitch than what Ashes has at the moment. At least that way there used to be a difference in the consistency of line and length of different bowlers... Now you have minimal impact from both user skill or player attributes.

Last edited by a moderator:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The problem is that choosing the length beforehand and basing if it is a "good ball" or not on whether you get the timing correct doesn't really make a lot of sense in a bunch of situations. If I choose to bowl a half-volley right in the slot the T20 death overs it doesn't matter if I get Perfect/Perfect, it should be going over the fence.

This is why I'd prefer a complete overhaul in how the AI batsmen interact with player bowling. They need to somehow be able to play balls on their merit and per the situation, rather than just reacting to how well you time your stick flick (or just cheating and being able to tonk any ball they want) as I covered previously in this thread.
I definitely think an overhaul in AI batting and, more importantly, bowling and fielding is needed. I think that's the most important thing for the next game. Situational awareness is something that could be worked on in line with better AI strategy. Human players aren't really punished for poor strategy as much and you get a lot of those instances where it feels like they tonk the ball wherever they want.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
I definitely think an overhaul in AI batting and, more importantly, bowling and fielding is needed. I think that's the most important thing for the next game. Situational awareness is something that could be worked on in line with better AI strategy. Human players aren't really punished for poor strategy as much and you get a lot of those instances where it feels like they tonk the ball wherever they want.

I've never tested it. But I have a theory in Ashes that you could keep the powerplay fields through an entire 50 over innings and the AI would still reduce their rate as if you'd pushed 4 men back to the fence.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I've never tested it. But I have a theory in Ashes that you could keep the powerplay fields through an entire 50 over innings and the AI would still reduce their rate as if you'd pushed 4 men back to the fence.
I might give it a go.

I do often only put one more fielder out after the powerplay and feel that can be all you need. Although this has been using my 1990s sides which are more likely to have Conservative or Precise mentalities.

Users who are viewing this thread