Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....

rasdan

Club Captain
in the gameplay modifier menu,for ball friction it says increasing thie slider will increase the grip of the ball in ALL situations so im guessing this also refers to catches?the reason i ask is because i have noticed that hardly any catches are being dropped by the cpu.May just be me but i dont recall seeing any dropped recently

rasdan

Club Captain
doing a little bit of experimenting bowling as both england and australia using settings for aussie pitches but with ball friction on 45 from start to finish.Tbh i was happy with it at 70 on day one but admittedly there was a lot of big movement off the seam.Currently have ball friction on 45 and its playing well imo.still movement but not the extreme it was before.Again im just tinkering and i think the higher value will work perfectly well for english condition and maybe windies but im sure others will be better at perfecting this setup than me

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
doing a little bit of experimenting bowling as both england and australia using settings for aussie pitches but with ball friction on 45 from start to finish.Tbh i was happy with it at 70 on day one but admittedly there was a lot of big movement off the seam.Currently have ball friction on 45 and its playing well imo.still movement but not the extreme it was before.Again im just tinkering and i think the higher value will work perfectly well for english condition and maybe windies but im sure others will be better at perfecting this setup than me

Great stuff. That's kinda why I set this post up. I knew others would get more opportunity to try out certain settings and experiment with what I had as a starter. I think you're right about the friction sliders. A high number is meant to aid the batsmen, that was my original thinking, but due to the greater levels of movement it might actually be favouring the bowlers.

rasdan

Club Captain
Great stuff. That's kinda why I set this post up. I knew others would get more opportunity to try out certain settings and experiment with what I had as a starter. I think you're right about the friction sliders. A high number is meant to aid the batsmen, that was my original thinking, but due to the greater levels of movement it might actually be favouring the bowlers.

well ive only tried your settings in australia and we all know that aussie pitches are great for fast bowlers who hit the deck hard but doesnt produce a great deal of movement off the seam hence why england struggled over there so badly.I bowled 15 overs as australia with both ball friction 70 then 45.on 70 keaton jennings(sorry to have to highlight him lol) was being torn a new one by starc in particular,often seaming to the degree that he simply couldnt play it.on 45 there is still some movement but much easier for the batsmen to at least get bat on ball.i will play the entire match with bf 45 but will continue to stick entirely with your settings in all other areas.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I've got some more changes coming to these in the next few days. Some are around the basic settings for timing and windows (more my own preferences that have changed) and some are around lowering the friction levels so there's a low gap from day 1 to day 5.

Will share asap.

Parky

Club Cricketer
I was really intrigued reading this thread so I thought I would give these a go, I had messed about with sliders myself and was getting some good gameplay but never thought about changing them up to match different pitch conditions around the world.

I started up a test match between New Zealand (me) vs Australia (CPU) in NZ with your NZ settings and DJM teams and right from the start I could feel a difference in the gameplay. Australia won the toss and put me in to bat on an overcast morning, the first ball Starc bowled was a shortish ball that I went back to block and it just nipped away and beat the outside edge, I knew I was going to be in for a tricky morning from the get go.
A few overs in and this happened
I probably should've played at it in hindsight with the angle that Starc creates but it was good to see a ball move like that on just a seam up delivery

Two balls later and Starc was at it again, a beautiful ball that swung in slightly then nipped away to take the edge of Williamson. I have never seen a delivery like this take a wicket before in all my time playing this game

I managed to steady the ship a bit with a good partnership between Raval and Ross Taylor, I got a couple of freebies Pat Cummins to get Taylor going and he was 49* when I had to stop playing but just I did I lost Raval to pretty much just a full and straight ball that I was late on

Overall I loved the way these played out in this little session and can't wait to try out some more

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
First of all, thanks for taking the time to document all that, it's really awesome to see. With NZ having the same settings to England, it's a set up I've used a fair bit. I also really like that you have a decent balance of bat and ball. Even though you've posted the wickets, can see you've also been making runs and it's a compelling battle.

On the subject of movement off the seam, it's been covered in the last page or two that this is linked to the friction settings for both the ball and the pitch. It's fairly obvious that a higher friction level allows for more grip when bowling, and as such, more movement. Through my own play testing, I've come to see that whilst friction sliders may be linked to the amount/type of edges you see, having the slider too high does make for some exaggerated movement at times. The original theory was that a higher friction slider reduced the number of edges, making for more batter friendly conditions. However, with the ball doing more off the pitch, that advantage was probably negated anyway.

As such, I've just made some changes to the original post to reflect this thinking. I've also added additional commentary to reflect why I've made the changes and why some people might prefer to ignore them and keep using the original settings if they like that kind of challenge. There is also a legitimate view that it's better to just leave friction as a static value throughout. We're all guessing here to some extend anyway!

Also, apologies to anyone that looked at the original post in the last half hour. I just had an absolute mare with the BBCode and the whole thing became a complete mess of red text and random strikethroughs haha!

D

Dutch

Also, apologies to anyone that looked at the original post in the last half hour. I just had an absolute mare with the BBCode and the whole thing became a complete mess of red text and random strikethroughs haha!

Do you work for my local council?

Parky

Club Cricketer
First of all, thanks for taking the time to document all that, it's really awesome to see. With NZ having the same settings to England, it's a set up I've used a fair bit. I also really like that you have a decent balance of bat and ball. Even though you've posted the wickets, can see you've also been making runs and it's a compelling battle.

Yeah I really had to pick and choose which deliveries to go after which made the runs I scored all the more satisfying, so yeah there's definitely a decent balance between bat and ball, I couldn't just stand and hit any ball I wanted to the boundary

On the topic of the friction slider I think I'll leave it where it was for now, obviously I've only had a small sample size but I liked the seam movement, it felt organic for the conditions and it wasn't every ball. I had a few deliveries on a similar line and length to the Starc bowled me with and they just went straight through to the keeper
Will try and get some playtime with some of the other countries settings over the weekend and see how they play out

rasdan

Club Captain
really like how shot force feels at 20.I mean a cricket ball is not soft at all so unless a good amount of power/timing is applied the ball wont fly to the boundary and i feel this is reflected much better now.Batting isnt my strong point as i often mention but now im having to really wait for the bad balls which in a funny way is helping me.still havent managed over 100 in a test innings but im slowly improving,also noticed the ai is more cautious with its shots now.encouraging stuff

Last edited:

charles04

Club Cricketer
really like how shot force feels at 20.I mean a cricket ball is not soft at all so unless a good amount of power/timing is applied the ball wont fly to the boundary and i feel this is reflected much better now.Batting isnt my strong point as i often mention but now im having to really wait for the bad balls which in a funny way is helping me.still havent managed over 100 in a test innings but im slowly improving,also noticed the ai is more cautious with its shots now.encouraging stuff

Ive gone a bit further down with shot force at 15. currently playing test against England in England with the English settings , and im getting the feel of having to really time it (ideal) to get it away to the boundary , esp on drives, especially on slow paced wickets as is the case atm .

in my 1st test I had to chase 189 off 60 overs on the 5th day to win and at times it wasn't all that simple . with the 5th day setting and shot force . got there eventually with 6 down and about 10 overs left

PjPage59

Club Captain
Not sure if they are related but ever since I’ve started using these sliders, the ai actually bowls differently every match instead of following the exact same bowling order.

Users who are viewing this thread