OTHER Snooker 19

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
What struck me in that article, with my obsession on controls, was this part:

“My feeling on that is that the shot set up is the key thing. We tried out a system where if you were playing your actual shot, you were defining the power by pulling [the stick] back a certain amount and then pushing it forward, but you didn’t know what the power was, you were just doing it on the fly."

Well, figuring out how much power you're applying is part of the learning process of the game. Maybe they could have put both systems in, and given the player the choice.

It would be great if they're going to release a demo version of the game, but game demos a few and far between these days.

D

Deleted member 9102

It's probably because they're releasing on console... Analog sticks on a controller don't offer the level of fine control over cue speed that a mouse does; I think it would be almost impossible to play precise positional shots this way on a controller...

Hopefully they still keep the option for full mouse control on PC, and I guess it wouldn't hurt to allow this for controllers as a "hardcore" mode but I really doubt it's viable to play decent snooker like that.

I'm hoping the gameplay mechanics/aids lead to some realistic/tactical snooker, but I have my doubts... Seems like it might be mostly matching lines up with pockets and not much else.

Yes in single player you can probably turn the assistance down/off, but what about online play?... Will anyone play "manual"?...

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
WSC 2005 on console allowed you to use analogue stick to determine power and it was very difficult to get any consistency , I think later WSC games allowed this too

The fact you cannot create your own custom character is very disappointing, the career mode is my fav area and I don’t want to play as an actual pro but as myself :noway

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I wouldn't recognize any of the players anyway. Snooker isn't shown on American TV, so my memories are of watching Pot Black back in the 70's, with players such as Hurricane Higgins, Ray Reardon, John Spencer and Steve "Interesting" Davis at the start of his career. And, of course, Ted Lowe commentating.

I'm sure most people on PC weren't even born then, so please excuse my nostalgia ramblings. :)

Has anyone seen the film "The Rack Pack" about the rivalry between Steve Davis and Alex Higgins? It's pretty good.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I wouldn't recognize any of the players anyway. Snooker isn't shown on American TV, so my memories are of watching Pot Black back in the 70's, with players such as Hurricane Higgins, Ray Reardon, John Spencer and Steve "Interesting" Davis at the start of his career. And, of course, Ted Lowe commentating.

I'm sure most people on PC weren't even born then, so please excuse my nostalgia ramblings. :)

Has anyone seen the film "The Rack Pack" about the rivalry between Steve Davis and Alex Higgins? It's pretty good.
Yes I loved the guy who did Barry Hearn :p

D

Deleted member 9102

I watched that, loved it :). I wasn't born then but what an era that was for snooker, I have watched tons of footage - Jopesalmi's channel has loads of classic snooker moments if you want to feed that nostalgia. :p

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWofZEcX9Rg3YgUp6xFEpTw

Surely you must be familiar with the '85 final, Ronnie/Hendry etc? :)

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I'd moved to America by 1985, so I didn't see that final, unfortunately, but I'll check out that YouTube channel

D

Deleted member 9102

A bit off-topic, but I heavily recommend Shooters Pool to anyone looking for a snooker/pool/billiards game with super realistic physics, mouse cueing etc.

http://www.shooterspool.net/language/en/

It's online-only except for basic pratice/training modes in the offline version, with no single player AI and stuff... But purely for the feeling of playing shots like you would do in real life, nothing comes close to this. I have more fun just doing the line-up drill in SP than any of the single player stuff in Virtual Pool or other games. You can try it for free, theres Free2Play rooms in the lobby for various games like snooker, 6-red snooker, 8-ball etc.

I love playing these kinds of shots in real life and they feel very natural in SP with the excellent physics;

I'm hoping Snooker 19's gameplay will somehow encourage and reward realistic safety, shots-to-nothing etc... The extent of the safety in the old WCS games was just making the thinnest possible contact on the reds or rolling up dead weight (even on the break off :p).

Last edited by a moderator:

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
You persuaded me to give it a go, but I don't see how to do anything offline. I signed up, downloaded the game, ran it, and takes me to a web page. According to the guide, there's supposed to be a main menu where you can get to offline play, but I don't see it.

I'm clearly missing something obvious.

D

Deleted member 9102

Sorry I forgot to mention - you only get the full offline version if you buy the game.

The Free2Play element is kind of online-only. You can join any rooms labelled as Free2Play, and you can create your own with a limited selection of games/tables (only 6-red and 8-ball I think, not sure).

If you're in a room on your own, you can practice as much as you want but you can't do the drills, move the balls around etc. like the full offline version.

Currently there is a F2P room for 15-red snooker on a pro table in a tournament arena, but people might not like it if you hog it as your personal practice table :p. They will expect you to start a match if they join you in these rooms.

The best way to play alone is probably to create your own room named something like "just practicing". I don't think free users can password the room.

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Ah! Got it. I'll try your suggestion. If I like it I might buy it for the offline version. It's pretty cheap.

I looked at the game a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, there was just a monthly fee option, which wasn't worth it me.

D

Deleted member 9102

The offline version has always been a one-off payment - you could still play it after your membership had expired.

Thankfully though, they decided to remove the subscription model completely... I think it's great value now at 14.95€, or 24.95€ for the Pro version.

If the only thing you want is the offline, Starter pack is fine - the equipment/currency is only for online. The offline version is the same either way, but if you have any interest in online I think Pro is worth it for 10€ more.

Users who are viewing this thread