NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I do not care if Ashwin was right or wrong, I am glad he is no where near our Limited Overs team and hope he gets away from our test side as well. He has 0 sportsman spirit. Yes its within the limit of the law but the margin was way too less. I do not care if Jos was warned or not, Ashwin could have played the bigger player. This win at any cost attitude is what is harming him. I have found one team I will not be supporting this season and that is Kings XI Punjab.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Forget the warning. Ashwin himself said he didn't 'load up'

I can prove with video evidence he did load up and when his front foot landed, Buttler was in the crease. The intent from the start was to mankad.

https://www.hotstar.com/sports/cric...h-clips/omg-ashwin-mankads-buttler/2001628059

Watch this, and please watch Ashwin's post match PC.

Just to provide the proof ... this is a screenshot of a video slowed down 0.25 times.

Untitled.jpg
r42ZnH0

Three things are VERY CLEAR from this:
  • Ashwin had no intention of bowling this delivery, hence it was planned [and not in the heat of the moment as claimed by him]
  • He definitely did not load up. Look at his hand ... it never moved from the side [once again a false claim by him]
  • Butler is well inside the crease when the front foot lands

Anyone can view the same on this link - change the speed to 0.25

Last edited:

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Just to provide the proof ... this is a screenshot of a video slowed down 0.25 times.

View attachment 219147
r42ZnH0

Three things are VERY CLEAR from this:
  • Ashwin had no intention of bowling this delivery, hence it was planned [and not in the heat of the moment as claimed by him]
  • He definitely did not load up. Look at his hand ... it never moved from the side [once again a false claim by him]
  • Butler is well inside the crease when the front foot lands

Anyone can view the same on this link - change the speed to 0.25

I think Jacko, what we both mean by 'load up' is different. For me, his right hand definitely looks like he loads up. His left foot lands and his left arm never ever goes up. When his left foot lands, Buttler is safely inside the crease. He pauses, waits for Buttler to leave and then swiftly takes the bails off. Add to this, I saw Rahane and Samson back up a lot further from side on, but he doesn't dismiss them. Buttler was the man who could win this game and this was the means resorted to to dismiss him. It's very clear how some people choose to react under pressure. I know what a man in that yellow jersey would have done.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
By the way, aside from this incident which I want to forget, how well did KXIP bat with the former RCB batting line up? :lol

Someone logically explain to me why Mandeep was traded? Or why Sarfaraz was retained and then released?

This just shows to anyone, what a poorly run organisation Bangalore is.

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
I've no issue with mankading at all if done correctly and with a warning, batsmen are increasingly taking advantage backing up BUT Ashwin gave no warning and once he'd planted his front foot and then baulked in his delivery stride it should have been called dead ball. Similar in baseball I believe, a pitcher cannot baulk a throw to entice a runner away from base.

Properly underhand from Ashwin if you ask me BUT a mistake by the umpires ultimately.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Tbh, this one clears it all. Mankading is a completely different thing comparing with what Ashwin did.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Personally, I don't get the hoopla created around "mankading" someone. Giving it the "spirit of the game" tag seems to be just an excuse to blow things out of proportion. Whether Ashwin gave Butler the warning or not or whether it was premeditated or not doesn't matter to me. If the law allows the batsman to be given out in that fashion, so be it. There's nothing unfair about it. An example of breaking the spirit would be deliberately bowling an extra (when 1 run is needed to win and the batsman on strike is on 99) or allowing the ball to hit the boundary ropes on the last ball of an over to keep a set batsman off strike etc. This instance wasn't that simply because the rules allow it.

I may be the only one with this opinion but that's fine with me.

As a neutral, I see no problem with Ashwin's actions or anyone who indulges in the act of mankading for that matter.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
The thing is this is not the first time this has happened with Buttler. He has been out in this fashion against Sri Lanka in 2014 ODI series. At that time, he was warned firstly by Senanayke but Buttler still didn't rectify that and in the end got out in the same manner. So Buttler is not unfamiliar with this type of dismissal. I am posting a tweet that I saw which shows how Buttler was leaving the crease even before Ashwin actually did this.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
The thing is this is not the first time this has happened with Buttler. He has been out in this fashion against Sri Lanka in 2014 ODI series. At that time, he was warned firstly by Senanayke but Buttler still didn't rectify that and in the end got out in the same manner. So Buttler is not unfamiliar with this type of dismissal. I am posting a tweet that I saw which shows how Buttler was leaving the crease even before Ashwin actually did this.

+1000.

Its weird that people like Warne talk about spirit of cricket and integrity and all. :rolleyes Some even went to the extent of saying "what are we teaching the next generation by this". Seriously? Ashwin is actually teaching the next generation a good thing here, that "you uphold the law when the umpires cannot instinctively react and uphold it". And, Ashwin has done this a few times and so people should know that he has an issue with non-strikers taking advantage before the bowler delivers the ball. Him being a spinner and his speed, he gets into the positions to Mankad a batsman. It does not matter whether he loaded up and then stopped or if he didn't give a warning. Buttler (or all non-strikers) has no business to "leave the crease" until the ball is out of Ashwin's (or any bowler's) hands.

The entire "spirit of cricket" thing is rubbish. Just like a batsman should not be expected to leave his crease even if he knows that he has nicked it, a bowler should be expected to effect a dismissal like this without prior warnings or by stopping after loading up. All this hyper reaction, again, is only because Buttler was batting in that zone and his dismissal turned out to be a huge game changer. But that's where this rule gains prominent attention and future games will be played with more caution.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
I was impressed with the way Dhawan was timing the ball today. He was hitting the sweet spot more often than not. But having said that, cannot help but wonder if he was too slow in his approach. 50 odd runs in 40+ balls around the 15-ish overs doesn't bode well for a team looking for quick runs. And to make matters worse, he perished soon after that.

Users who are viewing this thread