Best delivery for a yorker?

bptuner

School Cricketer
How do you throw a good yorker in CR19? Is standard best or should you use swing/seam, or some other delivery type? Fast or slow? Is there really a trick to setting up a yorker?

I know its not a sure thing but I'm getting fairly inconsistent results compared to good, full and even short lengths, whether I use them liberally in T20 and ODI's, or as a variation in a test. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

adamrg

School Cricketer
I don't know the best, but I find that using a slower ball Yorker generally swings in (to a RHB) quite a bit, so don't just aim straight at the stumps for that.

bptuner

School Cricketer
Slower ball inswinging yorker is the best way.
Yeah I get some good results with that combo too; speed on yorkers seems to be too predictable to the batsman, or something. The slower yorkers seem more effective than fast ones..

WickeySticket

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
The one great thing about this game is that like in real life there are many, many ways to get a wicket. You'll be surprised at some of the wickets you get if you play enough hours.

Sahil70

Club Captain
The one great thing about this game is that like in real life there are many, many ways to get a wicket. You'll be surprised at some of the wickets you get if you play enough hours.

I must be doing something wrong then, cause in tests anyway other than bowled , lbw and large portions of catches being by keeper there's not much else , and in real life there's runouts and stumpings too

WickeySticket

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
I must be doing something wrong then, cause in tests anyway other than bowled , lbw and large portions of catches being by keeper there's not much else , and in real life there's runouts and stumpings too

Yes there is a over abundance of edges and catches by the keeper. I've been working on settings. I wish I took a video now but I've seen some crazy stuff. One time hit a batsmen in the arm or gloves, the ball went straight up maybe 8ft in the air bounced once then hit the stumps. Things like that I would have not expected. On a couple occasions I've thrown yorkers that were sliding down leg but the batsmen attempted one of those shots where they put there back knee on the ground, ball hit that leg and back on to the stumps. Feels very rewarding when you get a wicket in that manner.

As far as run outs go... I've only gotten one I can remember in 190hrs now. I use fully assisted fielding (so that the weird AI stuff happens for both sides), so that may be why. In Ashes 17 there were a few more runouts, I think because there was a running speed attribute, now everyone basically runs the same speed unless you add a perk or they're super tired.

Last edited:

bptuner

School Cricketer
Yes there is a over abundance of edges and catches by the keeper. I've been working on settings. I wish I took a video now but I've seen some crazy stuff. One time hit a batsmen in the arm or gloves, the ball went straight up maybe 8ft in the air bounced once then hit the stumps. Things like that I would have not expected. On a couple occasions I've thrown yorkers that were sliding down leg but the batsmen attempted one of those shots where they put there back knee on the ground, ball hit that leg and back on to the stumps. Feels very rewarding when you get a wicket in that manner.

As far as run outs go... I've only gotten one I can remember in 190hrs now. I use fully assisted fielding (so that the weird AI stuff happens for both sides), so that may be why. In Ashes 17 there were a few more runouts, I think because there was a running speed attribute, now everyone basically runs the same speed unless you add a perk or they're super tired.
And the stats/attributes that affect moving between ends are also not viewable or improvable by playing. :(

I just hit some guy on the knee with a full toss and got the wicket, I nearly laughed out loud. Went for a mistimed cover drive and it jammed in-between his pad and got stuck. Something about LBW in this game is so satisfying, sometimes even more so than hitting the stumps. I'm so over edges, it seems to be the only means of dismissal sometimes.

Pro-tip: if theres no reviews left or your not playing in a format that has reviews, you can look at the score in the bottom left straight after you appeal to see if the umpire will give it out for LBW.

bptuner

School Cricketer
Also having a lot of fun with the slow run-up/slow release or normal run-up/slow release inswinging yorker, really seems to catch them off guard and can end up on a pretty direct trajectory for middle stump and most of the shots the AI plays leads to atleast hitting the pads.

.Jambo.

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Also having a lot of fun with the slow run-up/slow release or normal run-up/slow release inswinging yorker, really seems to catch them off guard and can end up on a pretty direct trajectory for middle stump and most of the shots the AI plays leads to atleast hitting the pads.

What’s this slow run up/normal run up thing? Have I been missing something massive!?

bptuner

School Cricketer
What’s this slow run up/normal run up thing? Have I been missing something massive!?
You can decide how fast your run up is, and how fast the ball is released from your hand. I use standard controls as classic is annoying when trying to get specific lines but thats why you get two prompts during delivery; the run up then the release.

More speed = less bounce = lower trajectory.
Less speed = more bounce = higher trajectory.
This isn't set in stone (different delivery types, pitch wear and type, weather, etc) but generally this is the results speed differences make.

Regardless of what run up speed you choose, the "slow" release option always results in a fairly slow ball (~130-135km). Its good to vary your run up and release speeds to confuse your opponent, and some combos aren't as effective at certain speeds (yorkers in CR19, for instance, are WAY more effective when delivered at a slow pace instead of bullet speed). Fast run up/fast release seems to generate the most edges whilst slower deliveries bring about more lbw's or outright hitting the stumps.

Users who are viewing this thread