The Ashes (Australia tour of England)

Who will take the urn in the 2019 Ashes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This lineup makes too much sense for the ECB and so it is unlikely that we will ever get to see it.

@wasteyouryouth I would rather have Foakes over Buttler as the keeper batsman. For all the talk of Buttler being ‘too good’ and talented to be left out of the team and Foakes’ current below average season, he still averages 6 more than Buttler in first-class cricket with a superior conversion rate. In terms of keeping skill, Foakes is a lot better than Buttler too.

Buttler’s heroics in the current and previous tests were all on comparatively better surfaces for batting. I agree with the assessment that there is a test batsman in there somewhere who will surely benefit from a change in coach and tactics, but he isn’t worth persisting with for now considering the presence of a superior and more suitable alternative.
My thinking is probably tempered by what I expect from the selectors and captain. I'd like Sibley, Pope and Foakes in the side. At the expense of Buttler, Bairstow and Curran from this line up. Anderson comes in for Woakes. I know based on one innings everyone now thinks Curran is the answer to everything, maybe he is, but he's still very young and I think he'll be in the side regularly in a year or two. I don't see how he gets in the side other than as a fourth seamer right now.

Agree about Buttler. He does seem to have the temperament to be a test player but that's about all in his favour. He can bat with the tail but half the time he's probably going to be the man out before the tail comes in. He's not been in this series with the bat until the fourth test. I don't think there's room for a player to use test matches to 'get in'.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
2-2 is probably a fair result in the end. Paine must have sleepless nights over the decision to bowl, had a great chance of creating history before that atrocious call.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Seem fate would have it that the test I chose to attend ended up being a draw. Was till a great experience despite the weather.

Users who are viewing this thread