Am I destined to top out at an average rating?

Andy Cognac

School Cricketer
So I’ve been playing Cricket ‘19 for a little while. Into my 4th Season in Career Mode. I only play as my player, which I love, feels almost like you’re actually playing cricket. I love that you get one chance when you’re batting, but it is infuriating if you’re out of touch!
I Sim to my player during the games as I don’t have the time to play for hours and hours watching from fine leg.
I’m a leg spinning allrounder, batting at 4 in most formats (how I imagine myself if my Leg Spin hadn’t gone out the window at around 16).
I’ve topped out my Bowling Stats, working on my Batting still, but not too far off that topping out (could do with a few good scores to unlock my tiers). But obviously I don’t pick up any points on my fielding as I’m Simming that part.
So am I destined to top out as an average player as I can’t add to the Fielding stats? Or is there a way to get those elusive Tier unlocks in the fielding department too without losing my whole life to the game?
On a side note I did get a random tier unlock for fielding the other day. No idea why, but with a surplus of around 40 points to spend, I filled up my slip catching as high as I could go.
Thanks all!

Guyincognito1

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
This is something I ponder about as well. I've only taken one caught and bowled, and one runout in two and a half seasons. I'm hoping in the next patch, if there is one, where if you simulate and get a run out - you get the skill points as well.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I also play as a leg-spin allrounder in Career mode. There have been some nice updates in this version but, overall, there are so many aspects that really haven't been thought through to make career mode as good as it could be. The mix of ability points and skill points (or whatever the right terms are) is poor to the point of incomprenhensibility. I have also maxed out my bowling skills in my first season at English county level. Now that I am playing at international level, I have lots of skill points that I can't apply because I haven't enough ability points for batting to unlock levels there. This is despite the fact that I am clearly the best batsman in the team on form and acheivements. I end up spending points on fielding skills even though I know they are irrelvant for career mode (apart from any conribution the may make to your overall level).

I have no idea why BA decided to have such a convoluted way of managing career progression that needs some unfathomable combination of ability points, skill points and level. Career mode is still my prefered game mode...but it is flawed in so many ways.

Andy Cognac

School Cricketer
This is something I ponder about as well. I've only taken one caught and bowled, and one runout in two and a half seasons. I'm hoping in the next patch, if there is one, where if you simulate and get a run out - you get the skill points as well.
A caught and bowled!? One can dream I guess!
Let’s pray for the patch to fix a few things.

Andy Cognac

School Cricketer
I also play as a leg-spin allrounder in Career mode. There have been some nice updates in this version but, overall, there are so many aspects that really haven't been thought through to make career mode as good as it could be. The mix of ability points and skill points (or whatever the right terms are) is poor to the point of incomprenhensibility. I have also maxed out my bowling skills in my first season at English county level. Now that I am playing at international level, I have lots of skill points that I can't apply because I haven't enough ability points for batting to unlock levels there. This is despite the fact that I am clearly the best batsman in the team on form and acheivements. I end up spending points on fielding skills even though I know they are irrelvant for career mode (apart from any conribution the may make to your overall level).

I have no idea why BA decided to have such a convoluted way of managing career progression that needs some unfathomable combination of ability points, skill points and level. Career mode is still my prefered game mode...but it is flawed in so many ways.
Are you me?!? It’s almost the same story for both of us!
To be fair, for all the bad points and the glitches and bugs, I still love getting a first class ton, just building the ones, getting your eye in then accelerating. Love the buzz of getting out the 20s and going green to start knocking it about. It’s a lot of fun.

Andy Cognac

School Cricketer

Also, from one leggie to another, I’ve had a lot of success with straight effort ball Yorkers. If you put them in at the right type of player they seem to not know what to do with it! Had some really cool dismissals with them.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Are you me?!? It’s almost the same story for both of us!
To be fair, for all the bad points and the glitches and bugs, I still love getting a first class ton, just building the ones, getting your eye in then accelerating. Love the buzz of getting out the 20s and going green to start knocking it about. It’s a lot of fun.
Yes, I do still like the game and particularly career mode. Batting, in particular, is a lot of fun. It is just that I can also see so many things that could be tweaked to make it a better all-round experience. Some of the problems stem from the fact that Career Mode is sort of pasted onto the main game rather than properly designed to function as a Career Mode. This is understandable, to a degree, and although Career Mode has moved forward with each version of the game there is still much room for improvement.

As a Career Leg-spin all-rounder, some things that I have never seen so far include:
  • A catch in the deep
  • A caught and bowled chance
  • A batsman coming down the pitch at me
  • A catch at first or second slip
  • A wearing pitch that turns more in the latter half of the match
  • An opportunity to dive to stop a straight drive
I have no idea whether these are not an issue in other single-player modes.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Also, from one leggie to another, I’ve had a lot of success with straight effort ball Yorkers. If you put them in at the right type of player they seem to not know what to do with it! Had some really cool dismissals with them.
I've definitely had success with bowling Sliders. If you get a low-bouncing pitch you can bowl these as short as possible and they end up being very low by the time they reach the batter...often causing problems. Yorker length are good too. Generally I try to hit the off-stump with whatever I'm bowling (not that I always have that degree of control...but that's the intent). If the pitch means that a good length ball is going over the stumps I will bowl more full length deliveries. If the batter is trying to play everything on the onside, I line things up further outside off to try to get an edge. I do tend to bowl mainly leg-breaks and love it when I can get one to pitch on leg and hit the off-stump or catch the edge of a forward defensive prod for a catch behind or at slip.

Andy Cognac

School Cricketer
Yes, I do still like the game and particularly career mode. Batting, in particular, is a lot of fun. It is just that I can also see so many things that could be tweaked to make it a better all-round experience. Some of the problems stem from the fact that Career Mode is sort of pasted onto the main game rather than properly designed to function as a Career Mode. This is understandable, to a degree, and although Career Mode has moved forward with each version of the game there is still much room for improvement.

As a Career Leg-spin all-rounder, some things that I have never seen so far include:
  • A catch in the deep
  • A caught and bowled chance
  • A batsman coming down the pitch at me
  • A catch at first or second slip
  • A wearing pitch that turns more in the latter half of the match
  • An opportunity to dive to stop a straight drive
I have no idea whether these are not an issue in other single-player modes.
I totally agree with those points. Although I have had 2 high balls to the deep caught in T20 games and also had a few caught in the slips.
I’d love to get a couple stumpings with batsman creeping down the wicket a bit early and you being able to change your direction and delivery type at the last second.
My favourite one of late was a low full toss, that was creamed to the leg with a slog sweep kinda shot. Only to find the full length diving outstretched hand of Pat Cummins at short mid wicket. I was taken aback.
I do enjoy getting new types of dismissals. Also got to take the bails off twice tonight in run outs. Never had one until tonight!

superfreddie

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I am also playing as a leg spinner allrounder and I'm at the end of my third season. I've just broken into the England ODI side and had an amazing game tonight, I scored a ton and successfully turned an lbw decision round by reviewing (never done before) and also got given an lbw which ai reviewed but remained out (again never happened). I do get plenty of wickets from catches in the deep, maybe because I have ai runrate slider set to 95, so maybe they play more expansive shots. I get quite a few lbws and bowled. My usual tactic is to mainly bowl full legspinners and then throw in the odd topspinner or slider which seem to get most wickets for me. My skills are maxed out on bowling and nearly on batting. I don't worry about fielding too much because I skip that.

I find batting a joy, I find batting against quickies and spinners easiest, but I cannot for the life of me time the medium pacers and usually get out to those. In general I love career mode, yes they could make improvements but that is the case with most career modes in sports games.

Probably my biggest gripe is that the wicket keeper catches any edges from third slip to leg slip, so unrealistic as the only catches WKs can take off spinners are the ones which take only the slightest of edges. I would love nothing more than putting a slip in and have him take a catch, but there is no point with a WK that slides like he's on wheels to take a huge edge.

Users who are viewing this thread