Page 2
y7EWOJq.jpg

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 23 AUGUST 2019
2019 Ashes, 3rd Test - Headingley, Leeds.
Lunch Day 2
England v Australia, Australia lead 2-0
Australia 1st innings - 275, 72.1 overs, T.Paine 128, J.Anderson 22-5-76-5
England 1st innings - 168-3, 50 overs, H.Hameed 71, P.Cummins 13-1-47-1
A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: "Steady progress for England as they close in on Australia's total for the loss of three wickets. A sparkling 71 from Haseeb Hameed started the session, and both Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow look to be settling in well as the teams came off for Lunch. Let's discuss the session with two greats of the game, Shane Warne and Alastair Cook.

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: "Full credit to Hameed, he looked pretty solid and it took a terrific diving catch from Tim Paine to eventually get him off. He can be happy with his return to the side, there's a lot to build on."

PBrS3TC.jpg

Alastair Cook: "I'm always delighted to see England scoring runs, and particularly at the top of the order! England have struggled to really cermet a solid opening partnership in recent years, so having Hameed in form and playing well would be a huge bonus, both here and for the rest of the series."

MA: "He did bat well, especially on the off side. Let's look at some of his highlights as well as the other English wickets to fall.

MA: "Bit of a weak way for Dawid Malan to go Alastair?"

AC: "Absolutely, he'll be disappointed with that. His weight was all wrong and rather than drive through the ball, he's just chipped it to Josh Hazelwood who made a good low catch running around from mid-wicket. Mitchell Starc is quick and he can do that to you sometimes, hurry you through the shot. Still, it wasn't a good way to go."

MA: "Joe Root looks to be in good form and he was happy to take the attack to Australia as the session ended. How key will he be after lunch?"

SW: "We all know how good Joe Root can be, batting at number 3, or number 4, or wherever he happens to be. He'll score runs and it'll be up to Australia to find a way to get him out. When he's batting with Jonny Bairstow he always seems to up his game, so that partnership could be big for England. Australia need a few quick wickets and to win this afternoon session. If England make another 100 runs by tea and they're only 5 or 6 down with Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, Ali still potentially at the crease, they'll be a great position to blow past this Australian total."

AC: "Absolutely. You could say this one is well balanced and in a way it is, but the meat of this England line up is still to come and that should please the home fans. Another 200 runs from some of the side's best players and England will be well in control."

MA: "How do Australia look to take wickets then?"

SW: "We've seen some balls miss the edge, I think Australia need to just stick to the basics. If a batsman gets set, have a couple of slips and a fairly regulation field then just bowl that line and length. It's not a road up here in Leeds, it will do a little bit, so Australia just need to be patient and try to build some pressure."

MA: "The players are heading back out now so let's see if they can do just that. Join us at the tea break when we'll be chatting to Michael Gilchrist and Michael Vaughan. Thanks guys."

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

Tea Day 2

England 1st innings - 272-4, 81 overs, J.Root 97*, M.Starc 26-4-82-2

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: "A punishing session for Australia as they've huffed and puffed but made very little impact on England. Joe Root is looks set for another Test hundred as he heads to the tea break on 97. With bat currently triumphing over ball, I've got two former batsmen with me in Michael Vaughan and Adam Gilchrist."

zvv3SxG.jpg

Michael Vaughan: "A lot to like if you're an England fan! A solid partnership between Root and Bairstow, and Ben Stokes has already stepped in to help put on another 54 and counting. England really looked to take the game away from Australia in that session, its a sight we haven't seen all that often so far this summer."

rHr35tA.jpg

Adam Gilchrist: "Australia had a chance early to get rid of Bairstow as well and maybe stop some of that momentum. It was a sharp chance, and from the looks of things neither keeper or 1st slip really knew who should be going for it. There was a move from Paine, then a stop, and that froze the fielder who then couldn't get across in time. That would have been 184-4, and maybe the start of something for Australia. Not to be."

MA: "It's been a masterclass from the England captain, let's see how he did it."

MA: "A big innings from the England captain, but unlike his Australian counterpart who also made some runs, Root has had solid support around him."

AG: "That makes a big difference. Tim Paine looked good but couldn't really help Australia like Root has managed to do with Bairstow and now Stokes. With Buttler and Ali still to come, and Sam Curran to an extend, this is a dangerous position for Australia."

MV: "You have to think that England with a 100+ run lead will leave Australia under pressure. There's still so much time in the game as both teams have scored pretty quickly and the weather has behaved. Australia went at 3.9 runs an over during their innings and England are going at more than 3 an over as well. It's been overdue for England this, and a shame they're in a 2-0 hole before finding some form. Is it too late? All they can do is win each game from here, and that's what they're looking likely to do here."

AG: "The other issue for me is that Australia's bowling depth is coming under the spotlight as well. Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins have bowled 68 of the 81 overs. Nath Lyon has bowled 11, going at four and a half runs an over and really not looking very dangerous. Stoinis didn't look good in the two overs he got either. That is going to ask questions of Tim Paine as a captain. What do you do when you need a wicket? Who do you turn to?"

MA: "There is always that issue when you don't have the depth in your team. Australia have blown England away early a few times in this series, but when England have been able to grind it out like they have here, Australia don't really look to have a plan B."

MV: "Agreed. I don't think you can drop Lyon, he's too good a bowler for that and someone like Zampa isn't likely to be an improvement at this stage, not in Test cricket anyway unless you're playing somewhere that promotes having two or three spinners. Stoinis is a big question mark though, as he isn't scoring runs with the bat either. You have to think if you're England, if we can get to 30 overs only one or two down, we might make a total. That has to be their mind set in the series unless Australia make changes to the balance of their team or someone outside of Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins stands up and changes the narrative."

MA: "Much to ponder for the visitors, but first and foremost they need to work out a way to wrestle this game back in their favour. England are on top, and they'll look to stay there in today's final session."

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Tea Day 2

England 1st innings - 272-4, 81 overs, J.Root 97*, M.Starc 26-4-82-2

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: "A punishing session for Australia as they've huffed and puffed but made very little impact on England. Joe Root is looks set for another Test hundred as he heads to the tea break on 97. With bat currently triumphing over ball, I've got two former batsmen with me in Michael Vaughan and Adam Gilchrist."

zvv3SxG.jpg

Michael Vaughan: "A lot to like if you're an England fan! A solid partnership between Root and Bairstow, and Ben Stokes has already stepped in to help put on another 54 and counting. England really looked to take the game away from Australia in that session, its a sight we haven't seen all that often so far this summer."

rHr35tA.jpg

Adam Gilchrist: "Australia had a chance early to get rid of Bairstow as well and maybe stop some of that momentum. It was a sharp chance, and from the looks of things neither keeper or 1st slip really knew who should be going for it. There was a move from Paine, then a stop, and that froze the fielder who then couldn't get across in time. That would have been 184-4, and maybe the start of something for Australia. Not to be."

MA: "It's been a masterclass from the England captain, let's see how he did it."

MA: "A big innings from the England captain, but unlike his Australian counterpart who also made some runs, Root has had solid support around him."

AG: "That makes a big difference. Tim Paine looked good but couldn't really help Australia like Root has managed to do with Bairstow and now Stokes. With Buttler and Ali still to come, and Sam Curran to an extend, this is a dangerous position for Australia."

MV: "You have to think that England with a 100+ run lead will leave Australia under pressure. There's still so much time in the game as both teams have scored pretty quickly and the weather has behaved. Australia went at 3.9 runs an over during their innings and England are going at more than 3 an over as well. It's been overdue for England this, and a shame they're in a 2-0 hole before finding some form. Is it too late? All they can do is win each game from here, and that's what they're looking likely to do here."

AG: "The other issue for me is that Australia's bowling depth is coming under the spotlight as well. Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins have bowled 68 of the 81 overs. Nath Lyon has bowled 11, going at four and a half runs an over and really not looking very dangerous. Stoinis didn't look good in the two overs he got either. That is going to ask questions of Tim Paine as a captain. What do you do when you need a wicket? Who do you turn to?"

MA: "There is always that issue when you don't have the depth in your team. Australia have blown England away early a few times in this series, but when England have been able to grind it out like they have here, Australia don't really look to have a plan B."

MV: "Agreed. I don't think you can drop Lyon, he's too good a bowler for that and someone like Zampa isn't likely to be an improvement at this stage, not in Test cricket anyway unless you're playing somewhere that promotes having two or three spinners. Stoinis is a big question mark though, as he isn't scoring runs with the bat either. You have to think if you're England, if we can get to 30 overs only one or two down, we might make a total. That has to be their mind set in the series unless Australia make changes to the balance of their team or someone outside of Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins stands up and changes the narrative."

MA: "Much to ponder for the visitors, but first and foremost they need to work out a way to wrestle this game back in their favour. England are on top, and they'll look to stay there in today's final session."
Another beauty!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

Close Day 2

England 1st innings - 354-6, 108 overs, J.Root 112, J.Hazlewood 30-9-84-2

jrptX0i.jpg

Nasser Hussain: "A tremendous day for England as they steam ahead of Australia and currently hold a 79 run lead with 4 wickets in hand. Michael Atherton and Ricky Ponting have been watching this one closely and they're with me to chat through what they've seen.

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: "I think firstly, we've seen an Australian bowling attack that looked a bit one dimensional. I chatted during the tea break with Michael Vaughan and Adam Gilchrist about Australia's plan B with the ball and in that session we haven't seen anything different at all. Alright, they've had the new ball and they're always going to give that to Starc and co., but Lyon and Stoinis haven't bowled at all and when they do get a go they don't look to be a threat."

HwkCByp.jpg

Ricky Ponting: "Credit to the English batsmen as well. Joe Root has set the pace and others have followed. This team, when they're down, they're down. But when they're up, they're all up, for sure. Plenty of people chipping in, good scores from Hameed, Denly, Bairstow, and now Ali and Buttler is still to come. England are on a roll, no doubt."

NH: "A good session for England, let's take a look."

NH: We've got a tired looking Pat Cummins with us following the close. Pat, not a lot to cheer from your team today. What's the mood in the camp?"

IUSmmwW.jpg

Pat Cummins: "It's never good to feel like you're toiling away, but in honesty I don't think as a unit we bowled badly. We put the ball in the right places a lot of the time as we beat the bat on a number of occasions. Unfortunately for us, that didn't produce the edges we'd have liked but sometimes you just have to accept that."

NH: "Is it tough bowling so many overs in a day? Nathan Lyon hasn't had much to do and it's mainly been up to yourself, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood to get it done. Is that difficult to do?"

PC: "Yes and no. Look, we're all sports men, this is what we do and it's what we train to do. Obviously you'd like to blitz through every team in 30 overs but Test cricket doesn't really work like that. We'll stay patient and keep working hard tomorrow, just like we tried to do today."

NH: "Thanks Pat, we appreciate your time. Michael, to you first, how will England feel after today? It's the first time in the series they have really had the upper hand."

MA: "It should give all these players some belief that they are on a level with Autralia, it has to really. For whatever reason England started this series flat and it cost them two test matches. They must win the remaining three to take the Ashes, and at least they've started that run here. Can they continue it? Maybe, momentum could be on their side, but at least they've started."

NH: "And in reverse, how will today have affected Australia Ricky? Much to ponder for Justin Langer and his staff?"

RP: "I don't think there will be any knee jerk reactions from Australia. Justin isn't really like that as a guy or as a coach, he'll be sure to assess everything, win or lose, and make sure the side is set up as best it can for the 4th and 5th tests. It hasn't been Australia's day, no doubt, but you can't always win every single session of every single Test and series. These Aussies are pretty level headed and they'll take this in their stride I think."

NH: "That's all from Headingley for today, and England have given us a what could be a kick start to this series. It's a start at least, but join us tomorrow to see if they can push on from here."

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Work is a killer, apologies for the lack of updates. I’ll get back on things ASAP
No problem mate. Take your time and I am sure you will be back with a bang

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
No problem mate. Take your time and I am sure you will be back with a bang

As it turns out, I never came back with a bang :lol

It's been about 10 months since I stopped posting in this story, and then as if from nowhere, it popped into my head that I should probably pop my head back in and say why. I'd imagine this forum is probably a ghost town now, can't imagine BA's latest game gets a lot of love these days, let alone this version.

In short, I got bored of the game. Stuck between difficulty levels, I found the hardest setting to be borderline unfair, and the one below it too easy. Despite tinkering with other sliders to try and balance things up, it never really clicked for me and as the series wore on, the games started to feel more and more frustrating.

This came to a head in the 4th Test. I was mid-recap of the 3rd Test it appears (99% sure that ended in a draw), but whilst playing the 4th test, I got skittled out cheaply in my first innings due to putting the difficulty on the higher setting, and then after England made about 600 in reply, I tried the lower of the two settings and successfully batted out two full days for the loss of about 4 wickets. It turned me off, other games came knocking, and the whole thing pretty much fizzled out.

Looking at my YouTube account, I can also see that the best any of my videos did was 8 viewers, so again, it was time spent for little return.

I do appreciate everyone that took the time to poke their head in and read, follow, comment, that was always appreciated and probably what kept me going for so long. To wrap up, Australia won the Ashes 2-0, with 1 Test to play. Let's say that one got rained off, we were in England after all :)

I did, and do still, enjoy writing. At present I'm documenting my managerial career on Football Manager 2020, if anyone is interested in the sport and wanting a read: FM20 - Becoming the pride of (50% of) Sheffield - FM Career Updates - Sports Interactive Community

Who knows, maybe one day I'll pick up Cricket Captain and start a story on that instead, the best of both worlds. For now though, take care people :wave

D

Deleted member 193590

As it turns out, I never came back with a bang :lol

It's been about 10 months since I stopped posting in this story, and then as if from nowhere, it popped into my head that I should probably pop my head back in and say why. I'd imagine this forum is probably a ghost town now, can't imagine BA's latest game gets a lot of love these days, let alone this version.

In short, I got bored of the game. Stuck between difficulty levels, I found the hardest setting to be borderline unfair, and the one below it too easy. Despite tinkering with other sliders to try and balance things up, it never really clicked for me and as the series wore on, the games started to feel more and more frustrating.

This came to a head in the 4th Test. I was mid-recap of the 3rd Test it appears (99% sure that ended in a draw), but whilst playing the 4th test, I got skittled out cheaply in my first innings due to putting the difficulty on the higher setting, and then after England made about 600 in reply, I tried the lower of the two settings and successfully batted out two full days for the loss of about 4 wickets. It turned me off, other games came knocking, and the whole thing pretty much fizzled out.

Looking at my YouTube account, I can also see that the best any of my videos did was 8 viewers, so again, it was time spent for little return.

I do appreciate everyone that took the time to poke their head in and read, follow, comment, that was always appreciated and probably what kept me going for so long. To wrap up, Australia won the Ashes 2-0, with 1 Test to play. Let's say that one got rained off, we were in England after all :)

I did, and do still, enjoy writing. At present I'm documenting my managerial career on Football Manager 2020, if anyone is interested in the sport and wanting a read: FM20 - Becoming the pride of (50% of) Sheffield - FM Career Updates - Sports Interactive Community

Who knows, maybe one day I'll pick up Cricket Captain and start a story on that instead, the best of both worlds. For now though, take care people :wave

Good to see you're still alive :lol. All the best with football manager :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread