Who has the best team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My 2nd pick is Stuart Law.

Law couldn't break into the Aussie team in the mid-90s despite a FC average of 50.52.

In his one chance, va Sri Lanka in 1995, he scored 54* in his only test inns, meaning he doesn't have a test average.

He got raise his bat in a test, I guess, but not for a 100.

As good as they were, I always found it strange the likes of Martin Love and Brad Hodge were picked ahead of Stuart Law in the early 2000s, when he was still plenty good.

@Master Bates is next

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
056814.player.jpg

Asim Kamal

Unlike some players that are being picked without much Test experience, I will be going against the norm and pick a player with enough experience (12 matches) for this draft.

Finding a Pakistani batsman was interesting. Asim Kamal has a test average of 37.73 which is the best among players who did not score a test hundred and scored at least 700 runs.

A left-hander of more obduracy than flair, Asim Kamal is the sort of batsman who can bind the middle order together, allowing others to bat around him. He is typically minimalist, particularly well equipped with a fluid cover-drive, but his meat and drink are nudged singles and patient spells of batting.

If we take a look at the stats, then we can see that his home and away stats differ by only 3 runs. Though he played only 12 matches, he scored fifties wherever he played. Conversion was an issue which is clear by his FC stats as well in which he scored 11 hundreds and 42 fifties, but his 8 fifties in 20 innings mean that he was consistent. And so he deserve to be in this draft.

Stats:
:bat: = 717 runs in 20 innings (Average - 37.73, 50s - 8, HS - 99)

He will bat at no. 5. This could change if I find a better player but I think it is very unlikely.

CerealKiller's XI:
05. :pak: :bat: Asim Kamal
07. :eng: :ar: Sam Curran
11. :eng: :bwl: Mike Hendrick

@VC the slogger you are up again!

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
My second opening batsman will be :ind: :bat: Chetan Chauhan, whose lengthy vigils as an opening batsman made him the perfect polar opposite to Kris Srikkanth.

And my second opening bowler will be :wi: :ar: Winston Benjamin, who struggled to bag five-fors mostly because he was sharing his wickets with the rest of that incredible quartet.

1. :aus: :bat: Bruce Laird
2. :ind: :bat: Chetan Chauhan
8. :wi: :ar: Winston Benjamin
11. :wi: :bwl: Tony Gray

@blockerdave

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Are the rules only no hundred, no 5-fer or is there a rule that might disqualify certain keepers too? Or they’re lumped in with batters?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
As there’s no answer to the above and no information to contrary I can see, I will pick Bob Taylor.

a great keeper who had the misfortune to have a career overlapping with Alan Knott and being the weaker batsman, he nonetheless played 57 tests, scoring 3 50s with a high score of 97.

@VC the slogger is up next, but as he has missed his last couple picks I’ll go ahead and tag @Master Bates

Aislabie

Ireland
So it must be my go again then. I'm picking up :sri: :wk: Niroshan Dickwella because of his ability to score regular 40s and 50s, as well as being an excellent gloveman. For whatever reason though, he's borderline incapable of putting together the century his ability suggests must happen soon.

7. :sri: :wk: Niroshan Dickwella

@blockerdave again then

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I’ll pick Jimmy Cook. First class average of 50, played just 3 tests when was well past his best due to South Africa’s isolation, gaining only a top score of 43

he will be one of my openers

@Master Bates

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I am not able to get enough time due to my exams appeoaching.

My two picks will be Vallance Jupp and Barry Shepherd

An english spinner with an average below 25 in Tests and FC matches is commendable. Vallance's stats with the bat don't reveal how good he was if we take a look at his batting in tests. But in domestic cricket, he was a proper all rounder. His bowling strike rate proves that he was a wicket-taker and not a holding bowler.

Barry Shepherd was a batsman with really good stats. Average of 41 in both the formats (Tests and FC) is amazing. Unfortunately he could not bat higher than no.5 and I feel he should bat higher in my team but I will put him at no.5 (where he batted only once but scored 96) for the time being. Just like Asim, he also batted at no. 6 for most of his small career. His highest score was, coincidentally, 96!

CerealKiller's XI:
05. :aus: :bat: Barry Shepherd
06. :pak: :bat: Asim Kamal
07. :eng: :ar: Vallance Jupp
08. :eng: :ar: Sam Curran

@VC the slogger is next but

I will make a third pick shortly.

Then @Aislabie will make a pick before VC because he is not able to come online.

Index is updated.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
My third pick is Parthiv Patel

CerealKiller's XI:
02. :ind: :wk: Parthiv Patel
05. :aus: :bat: Barry Shepherd
06. :pak: :bat: Asim Kamal
07. :eng: :ar: Vallance Jupp
08. :eng: :ar: Sam Curran

@Aislabie you can go ahead if you want. Otherwise we can wait for @VC the slogger

Aislabie

Ireland
Okay so I'm picking someone a little bit out of position, but I'm a firm believer that if you don't have enough top-order batsmen you're better off having three openers in your top three, in the style of Strauss, Trescothick and Vaughan for example. I'm taking that approach with the selection of :eng: :bat: Brian Bolus, an almost impressively boring opening batsman who never managed to score a century in any of his seven Tests, but did manage the consistency required to average over 40 with the bat. Indeed, ha never once failed to reach double figures; he never failed to see off the first dozen overs, and he never got out bowled.

3. :eng: :bat: Brian Bolus
7. :sri: :wk: Niroshan Dickwella

@blockerdave

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I’ll pick Bruce Laird.

An Aussie opener who scored 2 centuries in World Series Cricket which sadly didn’t count, in official tests his highest score was 92, although he averaged over 35 across 27 tests, which is a reasonable enough record for anyone eligible in this draft.

@Master Bates

Aislabie

Ireland
I’ll pick Bruce Laird.

An Aussie opener who scored 2 centuries in World Series Cricket which sadly didn’t count, in official tests his highest score was 92, although he averaged over 35 across 27 tests, which is a reasonable enough record for anyone eligible in this draft.

@Master Bates
He's already opening the batting for me with Chauhan

Users who are viewing this thread