Reaction vids on YouTube? Yay or nay?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The world is essentially in a "stay-at-home-unless-essential" state. Mostly.

I've noticed a LOT of Americans starting cricket reaction channels since this has started. And while I'm very happy that the sport is reaching a wider audience, I'm not quite sure they really "get" the essence of cricket. It's sort of the Test match purist versus the T20 fanatic all over again.

I've seen cats, then copycats, then copyright cats, then all sorts of other things. And in every single comment thread there's always "react to yuvraj singh 6 sixes" "react to sachin best batsman" "react to dhoni best" "react to gayle 50 in 12" "react to the best catches"...

...Seriously? That's the best of cricket we have on YouTube? No, we've got full documentaries, we've got almost full matches (EDIT: I MEAN REPLAYS) officially sanctioned by the respective boards right now in this COVID time, we've got official highlights, we've got CricInfo giving us a new classic match daily.

Hard no from me for them, if they decide to learn cricket from comments rather than actual cricketing fans. But I do want them to become true fans.

Thoughts?

DOUBLE EDIT: I'm not against these guys/gals that want to know more about cricket. I'm about the comments...

TRIPLE EDIT: I'm also the only person I know on these forums who lets you know when I edit my posts.

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I think they are trying to get views, first and foremost, and they probably realised that cricket has a big audience, and the best cricket moments that would get a lot of views are those you mentioned, "Yuvraj 6 sixes” etc.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The world is essentially in a "stay-at-home-unless-essential" state. Mostly.

I've noticed a LOT of Americans starting cricket reaction channels since this has started. And while I'm very happy that the sport is reaching a wider audience, I'm not quite sure they really "get" the essence of cricket. It's sort of the Test match purist versus the T20 fanatic all over again.

I've seen cats, then copycats, then copyright cats, then all sorts of other things. And in every single comment thread there's always "react to yuvraj singh 6 sixes" "react to sachin best batsman" "react to dhoni best" "react to gayle 50 in 12" "react to the best catches"...

...Seriously? That's the best of cricket we have on YouTube? No, we've got full documentaries, we've got almost full matches (EDIT: I MEAN REPLAYS) officially sanctioned by the respective boards right now in this COVID time, we've got official highlights, we've got CricInfo giving us a new classic match daily.

Hard no from me for them, if they decide to learn cricket from comments rather than actual cricketing fans. But I do want them to become true fans.

Thoughts?

DOUBLE EDIT: I'm not against these guys/gals that want to know more about cricket. I'm about the comments...

TRIPLE EDIT: I'm also the only person I know on these forums who lets you know when I edit my posts.
It's essentially clickbait to get lots of views from Indian people.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Agreed but most of us here are proper cricketing fans. Can't we hijack a few comments and get them to see the beauty that is cricket for what it is?

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Agreed but most of us here are proper cricketing fans. Can't we hijack a few comments and get them to see the beauty that is cricket for what it is?
I agree with others here. They are putting such videos, to get views, not that they are that attracted to cricket. Videos of test matches, classic bowling and all don’t get that many views from general audience from regions like India, so let alone there would be much views for reaction to those videos.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
No, I get why they won't do classic vids. It's because the quality is poor. See, a lot of us can tell where the ball is, even if we can't actually see the ball. Because we know. They can't. Because they don't know.

I'm not a fan of these vids, and as much as I try to ask for a proper cricket video to be reacted to, I know I won't be listened to. Still, people play the lottery and there's always a winner, so maybe one day.

Users who are viewing this thread