Brian Lara Cricket ‘99

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Oh boy! I would buy it again in a jiffy if I can find it on sale.
The graphics in top right hand corner pic for a 20 year old cricket game ain’t bad

Whilst most aspects of the game have easily been surpassed since, I would still argue the ambience in this game is still right up their if not the best

You could tell when you were playing in sub continent, West Indies or England due to the crowds etc

rifleman1202

School Cricketer
i loved this game. and you're right the atmosphere and variation based on location has never been matched

I would say EA Sports Cricket 2002 by HB Studios is much better at capturing the feel of the real game, for me. No doubt Brian Lara International Cricket '99 does it brilliantly as well.

issue

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
i think they should do a remake of this game love it

Isura

Club Cricketer
I don't know who owns the license to the code anymore, but it would be awesome if the code was open sourced (at least the PC version's code). I gameplay and animations were pretty awesome. I'm sure the community would do an awesome job of improving the AI and fix remaining issues.

motime6

School Cricketer
Best cricket game ever. Its sad how animations are smoother than the latest cricket games and the batting shots look a lot nicer than some of the ugly shot animations we see in the game today. Heck I even prefer this bowling action more. The sound off the bat is amazing, in Cricket 19 it sounds like the bat hitting some rubber ball.

LilleeWilleyDilley

School Cricketer
I played this game for 4 years on the PS1 in my younger days. Even for a PS1, the graphics of this game were on the lower end. I also played the PC version. I didn't like the fact that test matches were only around 75 overs per day in this game as opposed to 90 overs per day as in real life. I didn't like the fact that when you were facing a spin-bowler and you deliberately left the ball, then more often than not the ball would go for byes. I didn't like the fact that the wicketkeeper would sometimes be standing 30 yards out of position when the bowler bowled. I didn't like the fact that yorkers were almost impossible to block in the first several overs of the innings, especially if you were a left-handed batsmen facing a right-arm fast bowler over the wicket. I didn't like the fact that you couldn't create new teams, except in the PC version albeit with some very awkward reverse-engineering where you had to completely replace existing teams if you wanted another different team. I didn't like the fact that the PC version either had no chance of rain whatsoever, or when you put in a cheat to enable rain, it never stopped raining. I didn't like the control setup on the PC version. I liked the crowd sounds and the clapping when playing in England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Zimbabwe, but I found the crowd sounds in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the West Indies to be loud and annoying, and especially inappropriate when playing test matches.

But if it wasn't for these drawbacks I would have probably stuck to playing Brian Lara Cricket 99 for the rest of my life.

LilleeWilleyDilley

School Cricketer
I believe it never rains during a match in EA Sports Cricket 2002... Is that correct?
I would say EA Sports Cricket 2002 by HB Studios is much better at capturing the feel of the real game, for me. No doubt Brian Lara International Cricket '99 does it brilliantly as well.

Users who are viewing this thread