IPL Chennai Super Kings | #WhistlePodu

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Infusing more young legs should be CSK's mantra if they want to ensure they're prepared for IPL 2021. Honestly to many, this season is a goner and if CSK is forced to play this squad for one more season, they better start preparing RIGHT NOW. CSK can only have one of Watson and Rayudu (the worst runners between wickets) and only one of Curran and Bravo (neither good enough with their bowling). With Jagadeesan having proved his mettle, time to give Ruturaj another chance and this time at his preferred position of opener. And right now with Watson having found his touch, I would back him over Rayudu (despite that selfish innings of 40 last game):

Ruturaj
Watson
Faf
Jagadeesan
Dhoni
Curran
Jadeja
Shardul
Chahar
Saikishore
Tahir

Try Saikishore as the third spinner. With Tahir as the leggie, SK (Saikishore) can be the second left arm spinner. A youngster, and he is a Powerplay bowler. He can play the role Sundar played for RCB yesterday. He is different from Jadeja in that he is lanky tall (SK is 6'3" and Jadeja is 5'8"). If SK can bowl 2 overs in the Powerplay and do the Sundar job of keeping things really tight, its a win. Shardul has to handle the death along with Chahar and Curran, but Shardul has been among wickets this season and hope he can take up bigger responsibility.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Infusing more young legs should be CSK's mantra if they want to ensure they're prepared for IPL 2021. Honestly to many, this season is a goner and if CSK is forced to play this squad for one more season, they better start preparing RIGHT NOW. CSK can only have one of Watson and Rayudu (the worst runners between wickets) and only one of Curran and Bravo (neither good enough with their bowling). With Jagadeesan having proved his mettle, time to give Ruturaj another chance and this time at his preferred position of opener. And right now with Watson having found his touch, I would back him over Rayudu (despite that selfish innings of 40 last game):

Ruturaj
Watson
Faf
Jagadeesan
Dhoni
Curran
Jadeja
Shardul
Chahar
Saikishore
Tahir

Try Saikishore as the third spinner. With Tahir as the leggie, SK (Saikishore) can be the second left arm spinner. A youngster, and he is a Powerplay bowler. He can play the role Sundar played for RCB yesterday. He is different from Jadeja in that he is lanky tall (SK is 6'3" and Jadeja is 5'8"). If SK can bowl 2 overs in the Powerplay and do the Sundar job of keeping things really tight, its a win. Shardul has to handle the death along with Chahar and Curran, but Shardul has been among wickets this season and hope he can take up bigger responsibility.

Rayudu's opening game performance has probably sealed his place in the team unfortunately, it is obvious that you cannot have a runner lacking intent like him in the side if he isn't going to score boundaries either. It is a shame as he looked class in that one game and like someone who could help the team a lot. Ruturaj's failures might have made the management think twice about sending him back in, also not sure of what impact coronavirus has had on him as Chahar also has been noticeably worse compared to his first two seasons. I think Faf moving down is the best, he isn't making complete use of the powerplay and it allows him to be more present in the death overs which is where he really shines. Jagadeesan was impressive in his first outing but I still am not sure of how viable he is long-term. For now though he simply has to play. Bravo's age and Curran's potential does mean that the Englishman has to play even if Bravo is the slightly better T20 cricketer at the moment.

The issue with Sai Kishore playing is that him and Jadeja are both left arm orthodox spinners which is maybe why he hasn't been playing yet despite having a brilliant season for TN. I'm really not sure of Dhoni's spot in this lineup though, it just feels like he is no longer... good? Sending in him earlier means he does get out these days which is something that didn't happen frequently in the past and he most certainly is no longer the type of batsman who can hit from ball one these days.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

Ruturaj
Watson
Faf
Jagadeesan
Dhoni
Curran
Jadeja
Shardul
Chahar
Saikishore
Tahir

'More young legs.'

Starting with 41 year old Imran Tahir. ;)

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
'More young legs.'

Starting with 41 year old Imran Tahir. ;)

He's an exception. Are you even aware of the "running" memes on him from the Chennai fans on social media? :D:p

When I said 'more young legs', I meant a lot more energy on the field and for the running between wickets.

Rayudu's opening game performance has probably sealed his place in the team unfortunately, it is obvious that you cannot have a runner lacking intent like him in the side if he isn't going to score boundaries either. It is a shame as he looked class in that one game and like someone who could help the team a lot. Ruturaj's failures might have made the management think twice about sending him back in, also not sure of what impact coronavirus has had on him as Chahar also has been noticeably worse compared to his first two seasons. I think Faf moving down is the best, he isn't making complete use of the powerplay and it allows him to be more present in the death overs which is where he really shines. Jagadeesan was impressive in his first outing but I still am not sure of how viable he is long-term. For now though he simply has to play. Bravo's age and Curran's potential does mean that the Englishman has to play even if Bravo is the slightly better T20 cricketer at the moment.

The issue with Sai Kishore playing is that him and Jadeja are both left arm orthodox spinners which is maybe why he hasn't been playing yet despite having a brilliant season for TN. I'm really not sure of Dhoni's spot in this lineup though, it just feels like he is no longer... good? Sending in him earlier means he does get out these days which is something that didn't happen frequently in the past and he most certainly is no longer the type of batsman who can hit from ball one these days.

I feel Ruturaj has to be tried at the opening spot and see how he goes. Better try it now. If Chahar can play after recovering from COVID, Ruturaj can play. Chahar hasn't set this IPL on fire but is still playing on his previous season's reputation. We got to try Ruturaj and try him now at the top. It is so frustrating to see both Watson and Rayudu run like that between wickets. I opted for Watson because he has kept his good form that he got from the Punjab game and has looked really good in 3 consecutive games now (almost won the game against KKR). I don't think keeping Rayudu out is a big loss. As I said, better try it now. Faf seems great in floating between No.2 and No. 3 spot.

If we can play two leggies together, we can play two left armers together. Considering how we have a deluge of left arm spinners (Santner, Sai Kishore, Jaddu), we got to punt on them. I feel Sai Kishore's height can be an advantage and he can be tried, especially in the Powerplays when he is said to be brilliant. Regarding Dhoni...... well we are now in a situation where he got to hope and pray that it is Dhoni's day. His captaincy is the glue around which the team is somehow sticking by the smallest of inches. The question of not playing him CANNOT arise until he decides to stop playing IPL.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
868395-814052-805050-802316-677664-ms-dhoni-angry-csk-ipl-2018-afp.jpg

MSD again proved, why he is called the best leader ever in IPL history. Leader always guides. [HASHTAG]#Yellove[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#WhistlePodu[/HASHTAG]​

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
I hope Watson playing at three was to have an extra batsman to counter Rashid and to shield him from Nadeem in the powerplay and not a sign of things going forward. Curran and Watson make perfect sense as the opening pair with Watto taking his time to settle in. Faf at three is also perfect with him rotating strike instead of struggling at the beginning of the powerplay and then gearing up for a big finish. @LiveLoveABD suggested Jadeja to be given more responsibilities and I do agree that it makes better sense for him to be there at say five or six depending on the game situation. For the next game, the changes seem obvious with Tahir and Jagadeesan in place of Bravo and Chawla but Bravo's performance today with the ball might have saved his spot from scrutiny despite that one expensive over.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Curran and Watson make perfect sense as the opening pair with Watto taking his time to settle in.

I think, Faf & Sam make perfect sense as the opening pair. Faf is technically a very fine batsman. Watto can play in the middle order. Watto's technique is not great as an opener. Watto's technique against spinners is also not very satisfactory, thank God he decoded Rashid Khan yesterday. Now, Watto is playing just as a batsman & he need to bat with responsibility. In the IPL 2008, Watson batted at no.3 for RR. He was the Man of the tournament in that season. I believe he will continue his batting for CSK at No.3. Sam Curran is not a genuine middle or lower order batsman. He is bit like Neil Johnson. MSD rates him very high. Best place for fluent all-rounders in T20 is opening slot. He already played as an opener in T20 Blast, Super Smash & in the previous IPL season. Now, it's the perfect time to unleash Curran's talent & win this IPL. #Yellove #WhistlePodu

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Crazy social media pundits predicting that MS Dhoni will sit out of the remaining games for CSK and give captaincy to Faf/Rayudu/Jadeja. Not the right call to make at all IMO. MSD should play this season out and gotta see how the situation pans out w.r.t. the auctions and if any kind of an auction happens before IPL 2021. I really liked what Badrinath tweeted after the CSK vs RR game

S Badrinath said:
I would love to see a Shane warne in 2008, like role for MS Dhoni in 2021 [HASHTAG]#IPL[/HASHTAG] ,a team full of youngsters with a mentor Captain [HASHTAG]#CSK[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#IPL2020[/HASHTAG]
https://twitter.com/s_badrinath/status/1318538854131929090?s=20

MSD should be a mentor/player for 2021 and get that transition fast tracked. Already reports are flush about CSK management not happy with the squad and looking to make some really tough calls ahead of 2021. All depends on if an auction happens. If it happens, I think the likes of Jadhav, Chawla, Karn, Watson, Ngidi, Harbhajan, Santner would all be on the chopping block. I know age is a factor that has assumed massive significance after this season for CSK, but I think Tahir can be retained (if no mega auction happens before 2021). More so if the season next year happens in India. But I have a feeling even Tahir might be in the chopping block.

Bevab

Staff Member
Crazy social media pundits predicting that MS Dhoni will sit out of the remaining games for CSK and give captaincy to Faf/Rayudu/Jadeja. Not the right call to make at all IMO. MSD should play this season out and gotta see how the situation pans out w.r.t. the auctions and if any kind of an auction happens before IPL 2021. I really liked what Badrinath tweeted after the CSK vs RR game

MSD should be a mentor/player for 2021 and get that transition fast tracked. Already reports are flush about CSK management not happy with the squad and looking to make some really tough calls ahead of 2021. All depends on if an auction happens. If it happens, I think the likes of Jadhav, Chawla, Karn, Watson, Ngidi, Harbhajan, Santner would all be on the chopping block. I know age is a factor that has assumed massive significance after this season for CSK, but I think Tahir can be retained (if no mega auction happens before 2021). More so if the season next year happens in India. But I have a feeling even Tahir might be in the chopping block.

There is no chance of Dhoni sitting out the rest of the games like Gambhir did in 2018 IMO. Dhoni's a bit too big a name to do it and not have to impact viewership and interest negatively for one. It would also mean that Jagadeesan donning the gloves, imagine the heap of criticism and scrutiny he will face for every single delivery. Finally unlike Delhi we don't really have a proper captaincy option to pass the role on to now, Faf is the best alternative and there are doubts over his long term participation given he might play for Kent permanently from next season. Rayudu and Jadeja are both struggling with inconsistency issues of their own, can we really ask them to take on an additional burden? I feel that Dhoni may have given up the captaincy alone and still played had Raina been playing as part of a 'succession plan' but the latter's absence makes the thought irrelevant now.

The Warne role for Dhoni next season may be something borne out of necessity rather than what could be best for the team in the long term. Warne did decline later on but in 2008 he picked up 18 wickets which was just five less than the purple cap holder. Can Dhoni be one of the best players in the team next season in that mould? Especially when his captaincy and decision making has not been the best this season? I think it could work as long as Dhoni plays some domestic cricket for Jharkhand to keep himself match fit and if we have a plethora of all-rounders to send in before him (already have Jadeja and Curran for it as of now).

Harbhajan's contract has already been terminated if I'm correct along with Raina's so they will be in the auction next year. Ngidi shouldn't be released IMO given how cheap his wages are, we will never get a player of his calibre and reputation at base price again. However it seems like he has fallen out of favour. Agree with the rest of releases but I have my doubts over Chawla and Santner being released. I feel they'll keep Chawla around as one of the reasons for picking him was that he knew the Chepauk pitch and conditions well and they might want to test that next season. It is not like we can splurge money on anyone new and we would have close to 20 crores freed up from the release of Jadhav, Raina and Harbhajan. I feel that they may also release Bravo this season, his performances have not been any better compared to last season's but the sentimental value may save him. As for targets, I feel like these players may be released by other franchises given either the lack of game-time or their lack of value

• Cottrell - 8.5C KXIP
  • Nair - 5.6C KXIP
  • Gowtham - 6.2C KXIP
  • Maxwell - 10.75C KXIP (a big if)
  • Cummins - 15.5C KKR
  • Jaishwal - 2.4C RR (again, a big if but he earns far too much and RR are not lacking openers, made up or real)
  • Unadkat - 3C RR
  • Allen - 50L SRH (I'm expecting SRH to retain Holder next season and let go of Allen to balance their overseas quota)
  • Roy - 1.5C DC
  • Woakes 1.5C DC
  • Steyn - 2C RCB

As for players who could appear as free agents in the auction, the likes of Shakib, Malan, Munro, Wood (much better pacer now since his run-up change), de Grandhomme, Guptill, Ingram, Lewis and Klaasen are some of the names that come to the mind. There is a reason why some of these have not been picked but I feel someone like Malan could be very handy for us. I also think that if Maxi is released, we should go all in for him. The next World Cup is in India which means he will be more focused and we generally have our overseas batsmen bat in the top three which is where Maxwell works best. Also feel that some proper management and clear instructions could help him play in the way he does for Australia and on the low scoring ground that will be Chepauk next season, his ability to play at a naturally quick rate could be of huge benefit. Of course this depends on him being released which is very unlikely. Gowtham is a good target too if he is released, could help us with the lack of a off-spinner in the squad at the moment. The way I see it, this would be my side next season

:local:Gaikwad (hoping a season of domestic cricket sorts his confidence issues out if the rest of the IPL doesn't)
:os:Overseas (Malan would be the dream but Munro or Lewis might be better in terms of providing an aggressive left-handed hitter)
:os:Faf
:local:Rayudu (was very poor last season in Chepauk despite being a renowned player of spin but any sort of improvement would be good)
:local:Jadeja (it is time, he has shown that he can bat if needed and is given time, let him bat at five)
:os:Curran (I would use him as a floater, bring him in whenever we need quick runs onboard and use him primarily as the bowler)
:local:Dhoni (the biggest wildcard, his position depends on how confident he is and how his form works out)
:local:Chahar
:local:Thakur
:local:Chawla (no other choice, hope the Chepauk experience comes in good)/ Sai Kishore (leaves us without a wrist spinner though)
:os:Hazlewood (I rate him over Cummins in white ball cricket, it is madness that we picked him up at base price! He could shutdown one end in the powerplay on his own)

If we pick up Raina again (quite likely but I imagine KXIP and SRH would love to have a proven domestic batsman in their fragile middle order leading to a bidding war that CSK would not want) or if it is revealed that he was never sold, Faf moves to open while he comes in at three with Gaikwad dropping out unfortunately. Have Jagadeesan rotate with Rayudu and Dhoni whenever they need a rest or are out of form.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Ruturaj Gaikwad's form should give CSK a lot of hope for next season even if we're forced to continue with the same squad. If only we can get a few smart replacements for Watson, Jadhav, Harbhajan*, Chawla and Raina*, 2021 can be super competitive from CSK perspective.

Big point to see is, what kind of competitive games Dhoni can play between now and IPL 2021. If he has to improve his form, he HAS TO play competitive cricket. Will he play Ranji for Jharkhand? Can he? If he can, then he needs to. For him, IPL is now the new international cricket and is the only priority. If he wants to end on a high, he has to get his form back

*Assumption is that Raina and Harbhajan are being terminated before 2021. If this news is not true, hope both of them can make themselves available for 2021 IPL. Might as well play them before we make big decisions for 2022.

NILAYSHAH60

Dreamcatcher
Sportsbookie
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
NZ....
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Ranji for Jharkhand?
Do you think he can actually survive in this format considering he retired close to 7 years ago? I think it would be wise enough for him to only play white ball Cricket like Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy or Vijay Hazare Trophy than playing a red-ball game.

Bevab

Staff Member
Yeah I don't see Dhoni playing Ranji Trophy when he has been retired from first-class cricket for a long time. I doubt him even playing in the Vijay Hazare Trophy, although the SMA Trophy might be something he should target. Even when he was playing international cricket in the last few years, he never did play for Jharkhand. I doubt that will change for one last IPL season.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I am actually pretty anxious to see news about the next auction, SMA trophy start date and if Dhoni will be available for it, etc. Damn, these last 3 games have reignited major interest towards the next IPL season for me from a CSK perspective

Yeah I don't see Dhoni playing Ranji Trophy when he has been retired from first-class cricket for a long time. I doubt him even playing in the Vijay Hazare Trophy, although the SMA Trophy might be something he should target. Even when he was playing international cricket in the last few years, he never did play for Jharkhand. I doubt that will change for one last IPL season.

Well in the last few years, Dhoni was much younger, still an international cricketer and would have felt he didn't need the practice from domestic cricket to keep himself match fit. Now the situation has changed. He is retired from international cricket and he plays only in IPL's. He is deeply passionate towards the CSK franchise and would want to do well one last time for them and help them win a title as a parting gift.

It looks like the Vijay Hazare trophy is not happening this time due to the focus on T20 World Cup and COVID interference (Source: Cricinfo). Which means, there is only SMA trophy and Ranji trophy left. And its likely that the SMA Trophy starts in late November 2020 itself. Hope Dhoni makes himself available for that whenever it happens. An extra month of competitive cricket with the next IPL expected to happen 4 months after the SMA trophy can be good preparation.

If BCCI plan ahead for IPL 2021 and announce venues in time and no further lockdowns happen, then CSK can have a decent preparatory camp about 30-40 days prior to start of IPL 2021 and that should give the likes of Dhoni more time for preparation.

Last edited:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I am actually pretty anxious to see news about the next auction, SMA trophy start date and if Dhoni will be available for it, etc. Damn, these last 3 games have reignited major interest towards the next IPL season for me from a CSK perspective

Well in the last few years, Dhoni was much younger, still an international cricketer and would have felt he didn't need the practice from domestic cricket to keep himself match fit. Now the situation has changed. He is retired from international cricket and he plays only in IPL's. He is deeply passionate towards the CSK franchise and would want to do well one last time for them and help them win a title as a parting gift.

It looks like the Vijay Hazare trophy is not happening this time due to the focus on T20 World Cup and COVID interference (Source: Cricinfo). Which means, there is only SMA trophy and Ranji trophy left. And its likely that the SMA Trophy starts in late November 2020 itself. Hope Dhoni makes himself available for that whenever it happens. An extra month of competitive cricket with the next IPL expected to happen 4 months after the SMA trophy can be good preparation.

If BCCI plan ahead for IPL 2021 and announce venues in time and no further lockdowns happen, then CSK can have a decent preparatory camp about 30-40 days prior to start of IPL 2021 and that should give the likes of Dhoni more time for preparation.
Dhoni should participate in TNPL. That would be an ideal prep for him (I do not know if TNPL happens anymore or not).

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Dhoni should participate in TNPL. That would be an ideal prep for him (I do not know if TNPL happens anymore or not).

I doubt that with the strict COVID guidelines, TNPL will take the effort to organize a tournament adhering to these guidelines. It is a tournament conducted by the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association and it is not really BCCI organized (or has BCCI's full backing). BCCI would have just given the approval to TNCA so that they can hold this tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread