Story Cricket? Story of my life...

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@Yash. Might, might not. Depends on how I feel when I update next. Glad to have cricket back in the story though, especially match reports. I Think I might do overs 4-10 next. Maybe. Unless something happens during that time of writing.

Tagging the others...@NePtuNe Gaming @Pinch hitter @Parth D

(EDIT: If anyone doesn't want to be tagged in updates, let me know. But for anyone reading this and think it's decent...share it.)

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Match report - overs 6-10

(Sorry, I just realised it was Miles, Ranu, Miles, Greg, Miles. That's 5 overs. Edited my previous match report to fix this. Again, I'm literally writing as I type into the reply box and I hate proofreading, so these things happen.)

After 5 overs, the Marauders were 31 for 2, and if they wanted to take advantage of the fielding restrictions, this would have to be the over.

Greg might have had other plans in mind, however. Sean Simpson, the captain, Michael the vice captain, and his fellow seamer Miles all surrounded him as he was at the top of his mark. He shrugged all of them off, however, except his brother Sean. One must remember that these two young players represented their school in an intra-Scots tournament. Sean told him a few further words, and his brother Greg nodded.

Still, there could only be two players outside of the circle. Those two were deep fine leg and deep square leg. Surely Greg would not try to bounce the batsman? He did not have that sort of pace.

But as he ran in, nobody knew. He did about the best thing though, a leg cutter on off stump that went right to that deep square for a single. For a moment they contemplated the second, but Jason in the deep fired the ball to Eliza, who had run from midwicket to be over the non-striker's stumps.

Greg called the deep fine leg into the circle and put third man back for the next ball. And, as cricket has always shown every individual who ever existed, the ball went past the now-short fine leg. But, again, Jason did well and put his body on the line to limit the batsmen to just two. 34 for 2 now.

No doubt about the next ball though. Greg tried a fuller one, but got it all wrong and it just was too slow, too full, and too straight. The Marauders batsman took it over the cones for the second KillToxin Kill of the match. He ended up finishing well enough, though, only one further run. After 6 overs and at the end of the PowerPlay, the Marauders were 41 for 2.

"Sh*t," I said, "That's about 7ish an over. HEY SEAN! PUT IN A SPINNER!"

Didn't seem as if Sean had heard me. I saw Miles going to his mark, but then Sean stopped him. Maybe he had heard me? He talked to Miles for a long time before he called Wil in. Okay, now would be Wil's time.

At the end of the PowerPlay, the ThunderDogs decided to use their defensive spinner, Wilburforce. And with the field spread and his accuracy, he did well. Only 8 runs came from his first over, but it could have been less if not for a couple of fumbles in the field. At the other end, Greg was swapped with Vishan, who decided to bowl around the wicket with his off spin. That confused the batsmen a little, and they could only take 6 runs off of his over. After 8 the score was only 55 for 2. The Marauders would definitely have liked the run rate to be higher than it was, but as it stood, it was not terrible.

Wil bowled the next over. And after being hit for a single down to Eliza at deep midwicket, he bowled an arm ball that just kept going in. The batsman was hit directly in front of the stumps. Everyone appealed. But the finger stayed down. Sean Simpson asked the question of the batsman, "Dude, you edged that or something?" The batsman shook his head. The core trio of the team, ie masters Qpee, Ross, and Saunders, were about ready to make idiots of themselves.

"That was out!" Jaime yelled.

"OUT!" I yelled.

"Umpire!" Scott yelled.

To no avail. Next season I was going to get Scott to integrate Hawkeye or Scott-eye or something.

The batsman definitely had a chance, and he took advantage of it by cutting the next ball powerfully for four. Wil attempted the arm ball next up, only to see it sail over everyone's head for the third KillToxin Kill of the match. By the time he had finished his over, the score was 66 for 2 at 9.

Sean kept up with Vishan, and this time he started over the wicket. But he was met with the same aggression, and it was only a diving stop by Alex at deep backward point that saved the four. They ran two, though. He did not bowl that badly, and by the end of 10 overs, the score was 72 for 2.

"Wil..." I said, "He needs a couple overs rest. Jason?"

Scott nodded. "If Sean is as good as I've always been telling you, then he'll give Jason an over."

Jaime, deep in thought, remained silent.

"Hey Jim-a-ling-a-ding-dong...you know the kids love calling you that these days, so ding-dong, what's your opinion?"

Jaime looked at us. "I've got an idea, it can probably be gold. But it can backfire on us."

"Well, don't just sit there and not say a word, tell us."

(EDIT: Again, there is a very slight change in the font between the match report and the characters. If it's not showing up that well, I can probably adjust.)

(Double EDIT: @Yash. @Parth D @NePtuNe Gaming @Pinch hitter )

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The tags don’t work if you edit them in.

Feels like the batting team would score about 155

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
72 for 2 at 10, and Ding-dong had a plan. Given the way the opposition was, they'd score a 165, 170 easy.

Jaime (him of the ding-dong style) suggested to me during the 10-over break...what if we had Liza turn her arm over? Scott wasn't so sure. Liza was...a middle order bats....erm...batsperson? Batswoman? Batwoman?

Dingaling kept pushing us to get her to bowl. He'd been working with her, he said, so give her the chance. Jaime, you seriously realise that even though it's a girl they're going to hit her out of the attack? Jaime just nodded, and told me to tell the guys to set the field deep.

And you know what? He was actually correct.

Liza bowled out her four overs and got three wickets. She never actually spun the ball, she just put it on a good length where they could hit it. And for three times, they settled into the arms of outfielders. But her stats were nothing to talk about. Four overs, 3 for 40. The batting team had by this point crossed 150 and were looking for maybe 165 in the last over.

Match report - Final Over, ThunderDogs

After a lot of conversation, Miles was the man entrusted with the final over. If the score passed 174, it would be the highest in the KillToxin League thus far.

Coach and regular captain Qpee could only watch on the sidelines as his bowler ran in.

The ball was honed in on leg, full but not swinging. A muted appeal from the bowler and the keeper.

Still 152 for 6, a big ask without the senior batsmen in the squad. And what they could have done if not for their captain Qpee bowling this last over.

The next ball was outside off and played out to deep cover for a single.

The third ball was smashed, and absolutely smashed at that. It took some excellent fielding from Greg at the boundary, to rival his brother's keeping skill, to restrict the batsmen to just three.

The fourth was unplayable by everyone, but thankfully Sean managed to knock the ball down and only limit the batsmen to one bye.

Miles had the big hitter on strike. And two balls to go. The score was already something like 155ish. We weren't playing a pushover team, in fact without Sammy...and Sean...and Jaime...and myself...we WERE the pushover team. Come on Miles, please. HEY...FINE LEG, GO UP. NO, NOT IN THE CIRCLE...JUST UP ENOUGH.

There was some shouting from the bench, but if Miles heard it, it didn't quite matter. That batsman backed away and the bowler followed him all the way to the leg stump, which was knocked clean out of the ground.

In a rather anticlimatic fashion, the last run was a bye, the run taken even before keeper Sean had gotten hand on ball.

The Thunderdogs need 158 to win from 120 balls.

It was time for our talk with the team.

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Oo nice...

158 is a competitive total for the opponent team.

Users who are viewing this thread