Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The IPL is giving me a couple ideas, but I need to read over the rules and everything before I officially post the scenarios. Leaving you with a few trivia questions instead.

- Who are the two Test players to have a higher average than their highest Test score? (This happens because, say you make 50 runs in 2 innings and are out in both. Your average is 50. But if you're not out in one, your average is 100 because technically you could have kept batting if not for the match situation. The not out is taken into consideration when calculating averages. If you never ever play another game, you have an average of 100 despite never scoring more than 50 at any time.) There have been exactly two Test players with this record, and as a hint, it's not flattering to their batting skills.

- What is the lowest score never made by any player in Test cricket? (The highest never made is obviously 401.)

- Sometimes, wicketkeepers have to bowl. Which designated wicketkeeper has bowled the most balls in Tests? And who has the most wickets despite being behind the wicket otherwise in the match?

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
You googled that, didn't you :p? There's no way someone could up with a random number like that
It's 229...

We have a cricket quiz thread where this same question was asked, so I remember it was somewhere around that...

Surprisingly the lowest score never recorded is a whopping 229

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Two of my above questions are still unanswered.

Numbers on the back of shirts have become a bit commonplace these days. Most of them are obvious. Gayle has 333 because that's his highest Test score. Murali had 800 on his and if I have to explain it to you, you shouldn't be on these forums. So...let's see if you know these not-so-obvious ones.

Ashwell Prince (SA): 5+0
Virender Sehwag (IND): blank

Easily found via Google. What about this normal number?

64. Worldwide. Never SHOULD a cricketer wear 64 on his back.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Virender Sehwag (IND): blank
he feels that in test cricke there are no numbers (back then) and that works for him, hence.

lowest highest :D
DHx0xca.gif

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Well, it was more that Sehwag believes in superstition more than most. Someone involved in mysticism told him that his original number of 44 was unlucky because 4+4 = 8 and 8 was unlucky for him. He had a bad run of form before deciding to remove the numbers altogether. So the story goes.

Correct with Prince. It was in tribute to Wessel Johannes (Hansie) Cronje, who, despite all the controversy with his life, did not deserve to pass away the way he did. Since then, Ashwell Prince, who was given number 50, decided to put it as 5+0 because Cronje wore number 5 in his playing days, and it was a tribute to the latter. Match fixing be damned.

@Parth D

64. Wrong. Not the dreaded nut shot. Think higher.

EDIT: There is only room for one Joker. And it's not you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread