Indian Premier League - General Discussion

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Looking at Bairstow's stats from this season and last, they are quite similar in terms of big scores and balls faced. His strike rate is just 30 lower. Clearly struggled on slowing pitches but he's not the only one. Could be teams are a bit more savvy about how to bowl to him too.

Bairstow is a match winner. I think he is someone who thrives even more when there are other good batters around him and RCB are a haven for it. At least the top order. I don't think he has weaknesses or a weakness on certain tracks although he certainly has a preference for faster tracks. I think Roy is in the same bracket. SRH is the worst franchise for him, not in terms of management but simply because they lack Indian batting meat so they get lopsided in the middle order.[DOUBLEPOST=1603818513][/DOUBLEPOST]Just a word on Pant. A Pant pre 2019 would have either been in the dug out right now or batting on 70 odd.[DOUBLEPOST=1603818575][/DOUBLEPOST]Could Delhi be eliminated? Boy that would be a serious turn up for the form book.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
How the hell did Warner know that from the boundary rope? He seemed very confident.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
DC looked completely rattled at having to chase 220. Yet they have scored more with their normal batting line up batting first, albeit at Sharjah and with Shaw opening.

Doesn't bode well if they have to chase a big score in play offs (assuming they do make it).

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Doesn't bode well if they have to chase a big score in play offs (assuming they do make it)
I feel they should make it. Rabada and Nortje both having an off day is a rarity. They needn't panic for now.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
This obsession coaches have in the IPL of holding back your best. I get the Stoinis promotion but Hetmyer and Pant ahead of Iyer?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
I get the Stoinis promotion but Hetmyer and Pant ahead of Iyer?
My take on that is that Iyer probably wanted them to go bang or bust. Not waste too many deliveries and get a quickfire 30-40 runs which would have made a world of a difference.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
A 11/10 performance from SRH today. And the birthday boy could do no wrong - 50 in the PP, two catches in the first two overs, and a genius review.

Feel bad for Nadeem though. Got to bowl just a single over.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
No team has qualified yet for the playoffs. The only team that looks likely to make it is Mumbai Indians (considering their quality in comparison to the oppositions they're going to face)

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Really hope Saha and Shankar’s injuries aren’t that serious...

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
SRH should have enforced the follow on :p IPL is wide open!

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
This is a post in hope but one I need to make because this season has shown promise although RCB are perfectly capable of not qualifying from this point as well. So, here goes-

- Please drop Finch. I think he is very very inconsistent and he piles a lot of pressure on the other three and it is going to be make or break from this point on. The worst part is that he bats in the power play and Paddikal has looked alright in his first season. It's not just the lack of runs with Finch, he is constantly searching for the in swinger and as a result his feet are like cement on surface so even the out swingers are now getting him out because he's so worried about the LBW.

- Please drop Gurkeerat. I don't think I've seen him go at even 100 till date and he simply lacks punch as a batter. What do I mean? His bat comes from really low down and while I think he could do a number on a finger spinner, any bowler with some speed will always trouble him. With his technique, he should at least be a good hooker and puller but he isn't, so unless Siraj or Umesh are bowling to him in the slot, he will struggle and unfortunately they're both in his team. I'm not a Dube fan but he did really well with both bat and ball in all the chances he got. He also will provide Morris some support if two people need to tonk it around at the end.

- When big moments come in big tournaments, the great players stand up. I don't see Kohli & AB getting a better opportunity together to get to IPL glory than this one. When they bat together, they must look to dominate and dominate from both ends. They both are so good that if the other gets out the other can still anchor for 7-8 overs and then cut loose. If they both get out, so be it. I think teams will soon find out that AB is the only real threat and if they choke him, the other end chokes itself. AB can't do it alone. Similarly, teams know that if they get Kohli, AB becomes a bit less effective. Simply put, AB needs to become more solid if they lose Kohli and Kohli needs to get more dynamic while with AB and after if need be. As simple as that.

This is my side for the rest of the tournament and I think in such crunch moments 'options' are priceless as demonstrated by CSK for 15 years.

1) Paddikal
2) Moeen Ali (Dynamic batsman, could bowl in the power play specially if two left handers are batting and has the ability to play spin in his sleep. At this point, anything is an upgrade on Finch and he has experience which Phillipe simply doesn't. He's calm and his quality is undeniable)
3) Kohli
4) AB
5) Dube (Is easily a better hitter than Gurkeerat and has bowled some vital overs when needed. Not a fan of his but he never did any wrong to be out. His replacement has simply not impressed.)
6) Morris
7) Udana (The wickets are getting tired, his cutters are really going to come into their own and he can hit a long long ball if needed. His death bowling has been average but may be him and Saini can share duties.)
8) Sundar (For me, he is my floater. A decade ago, Badrinath did this job for CSK where he was the umbrella man and would just walk in and stop any mayhem going on and not bat half the times. If there are 2 early wickets, he can easily arrest the slide.)
9) Saini (He's injured for the game tomorrow but he's surely a permanent starter so Umesh will play tomorrow)
10) Siraj/Negi/Shahbaz (Depends totally on conditions and how the batting is performing. My personal choice would be to go with Shahbaz. I think he's a good bat, brilliant fielder and a very good bowler. Obviously both Negi and him bat higher if they play.)
11) Chahal

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I agree with @LiveLoveABD here... Moeen can be a much better batter only on the fact that Finch is clueless at the moment... However he shouldn’t play anywhere else than opening

Bevab

Staff Member
I liked SRH's approach yesterday after the loss of Saha in contrast to what many people believe. It may not have been great for the spectators to watch but it was clinical cricket. They were in a similar position versus Punjab earlier in the season with Warner looking to launch and Bairstow firing when they promoted Samad after Warner was dismissed. Cue a mini collapse and chaos with Williamson and Abhishek Sharma taking them just over the edge to 200. They did win that game after Punjab had a collapse of their own but I think that played on their minds yesterday. Quite simply put, they had two options

• We could push our hitters ahead to try and score more runs, but we're already ahead in terms of being par significantly and we have a good bowling unit to restrict a batting lineup that is mostly out of form so do we need to take a big risk for potentially low rewards?
  • We could send in Williamson and Pandey to play each ball on their merit and take us safely to a score in the 210-220 range without much worry and with the safety net of some hitters to follow.

And I think Delhi's one big weakness is getting exposed ruthlessly over the last two games. The lack of a wrist spinner. Axar and Ashwin have been excellent until the last two games but neither of them are attacking spinners who will keep you guessing on each delivery. Sure, they work well versus a right-left combo when they can restrict you and then look to throw in that arm ball or dart ball but when they are being taken to the cleaners as in the last two games, it is tough for them to come back on their own as they don't really pick up wickets unless they have a favourable match-up. This is where I think Delhi are missing Amit Mishra the most, he may be a liability in the field these days and he does have his own issues but when you've got him attacking from one end with Axar holding the other or Ashwin doing his mix of both, you will have to be a bit more cautious lest you lose a bunch of wickets to their main leg-spinner. Might be worth giving a game to Sandeep with Lalit Yadav playing instead of Deshpande for a game or two as pitches seem to be slowing down with Stoinis who loves his slower balls contributing more in the pace department.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Even though I am great fan of Dale Steyn, I don't see his position in the side, especially if you have a guy like Isuru Udana warming the bench.

Users who are viewing this thread