Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Even though I am great fan of Dale Steyn, I don't see his position in the side, especially if you have a guy like Isuru Udana warming the bench.

That extra grassy patch might have wooed Kohli in taking that decision. Good to see Finchy finally dropped for a keeper and good that Dubey is back.

Bevab

Staff Member
- Please drop Gurkeerat. I don't think I've seen him go at even 100 till date and he simply lacks punch as a batter. What do I mean? His bat comes from really low down and while I think he could do a number on a finger spinner, any bowler with some speed will always trouble him. With his technique, he should at least be a good hooker and puller but he isn't, so unless Siraj or Umesh are bowling to him in the slot, he will struggle and unfortunately they're both in his team. I'm not a Dube fan but he did really well with both bat and ball in all the chances he got. He also will provide Morris some support if two people need to tonk it around at the end.

Gurkeerat is genuinely a strange cricketer. On a genuinely bowler's pitch (and I mean a really skewed one, no bowler for Punjab with more than one game averaged over 30 last season in Ranji), he struck at a casual strike-rate of 100 last season and was the most aggressive Punjabi player in the Vijay Hazare Trophy too (76 SR is nothing to be proud of but the likes of Mandeep and Abhishek were terrible too). In the SMA Trophy, he struck close to 140 (the likes of Gill, Mandeep and Abhishek fared better here). Bit strange to see him look so poor in the IPL.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Any reason why Phillipe isn’t keeping? Of course AB isn’t a better keeper than him?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
When I look at the body language of Siraj (while bowling/taking a wicket/catch/fielding), I get a feeling that he is desperately looking to justify himself to Kohli, and I mean that in positive way. The only downside to that is that when he doesn't have a good day, the terrible feeling of letting down your captain is doubled.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
MI at the moment have 4 Indian batsmen more destructive than India's captain and I dare say that the one batting at 3 for MI is also more consistent and match winning.

Captaincy masterclass today. Dube not bowled at all. Was it not obvious in the very beginning that Steyn was going to be useless?

Wonder where Udana's confidence is right now. And how crucial would Moeen Ali's couple of overs be right now?

No deep midwicket for SKY in the 17th over! :lol

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
MI at the moment have 4 Indian batsmen more destructive than India's captain and I dare say that the one batting at 3 for MI is also more consistent and match winning.

Captaincy masterclass today. Dube not bowled at all. Was it not obvious in the very beginning that Steyn was going to be useless?

Wonder where Udana's confidence is right now. And how crucial would Moeen Ali's couple of overs be right now?

No deep midwicket for SKY in the 17th over! :lol
And they dropped Rohit from the team, I see a terrible tour in front of my eyes...

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
And they dropped Rohit from the team, I see a terrible tour in front of my eyes...

I think Rohit has not been 'dropped.' It's just a farcical bit of communication. It would have been better to select the Sharma's and if they remained unfit then just leave them behind. Storm in a tea cup.

Our country's plight is such that there is so much drama around this episode and very little around the "non selection" of Ishan Kishan and Surya Kumar Yadav. I think it's an absolute joke that Samson and Varun Chakravarthy are in the T20 squads. Nothing against the two guys, but why? Plain and simply hype and going with the wind selections. I don't know what the status around Manish Pandey is but I hope a firm stand on him is taken. It would be best to give him a proper opportunity on this tour and if he doesn't deliver then give Surya an equally long run. Samson scored runs in three games which were all on roads while Surya has been pumping performances in for three years. If the (WK) part is the criteria then I'd like to know how Ishan Kishan has performed worse than Samson. Kishan also can bat below the top 3 which is where Samson will have to bat and I don't know if he has the game for it. Weird.

KL Rahul has probably graduated from the VK school of captaincy and Iyer would have been the better one to groom. I'd still like to see how KL goes but if the captaincy curtails him so much batting for KXIP then I don't know how it'll be in blue.

At the risk of repeating myself, with three world cups in the next 3 years I would let KL, Pant and Pandya just be. Free spirits who should just be allowed to bat free. Ishan looks like the same but let's see. I definitely don't want to see KL becoming another Kohli.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I think Rohit has not been 'dropped.' It's just a farcical bit of communication. It would have been better to select the Sharma's and if they remained unfit then just leave them behind. Storm in a tea cup.

Our country's plight is such that there is so much drama around this episode and very little around the "non selection" of Ishan Kishan and Surya Kumar Yadav. I think it's an absolute joke that Samson and Varun Chakravarthy are in the T20 squads. Nothing against the two guys, but why? Plain and simply hype and going with the wind selections. I don't know what the status around Manish Pandey is but I hope a firm stand on him is taken. It would be best to give him a proper opportunity on this tour and if he doesn't deliver then give Surya an equally long run. Samson scored runs in three games which were all on roads while Surya has been pumping performances in for three years. If the (WK) part is the criteria then I'd like to know how Ishan Kishan has performed worse than Samson. Kishan also can bat below the top 3 which is where Samson will have to bat and I don't know if he has the game for it. Weird.

KL Rahul has probably graduated from the VK school of captaincy and Iyer would have been the better one to groom. I'd still like to see how KL goes but if the captaincy curtails him so much batting for KXIP then I don't know how it'll be in blue.

At the risk of repeating myself, with three world cups in the next 3 years I would let KL, Pant and Pandya just be. Free spirits who should just be allowed to bat free. Ishan looks like the same but let's see. I definitely don't want to see KL becoming another Kohli.

Rahul as the vice captain makes no sense whatsoever. I am pretty sure Kohli has had a hand in deciding who should be the vice captain. I mean, Iyer has done better overall in IPL than Rahul (from a captaincy perspective) and has been at the job for a longer period of time. But personality wise, Iyer is more aligned with Rohit/Dhoni while Rahul exhibits more personality traits that are closer to Kohli. So can see why he is preferred as the VC.

Surya has scored for many seasons and has all the right to feel disappointed on missing out of a spot in the T20 squad. Honestly, Manish Pandey is not someone I am confident about for T20's. One day, he bats like a speeding train and next day, he bats at the pace of a snail. SKY is far more stable than Manish. SKY is also a very good fielder (though not Manish levels, but in today's age, very good fielders are enough).

On the Rohit episode - I might be wrong, but I feel that the entire episode is an intentional botch up, trying to ignite hype prior to an international tour in the hope that audiences do not lose interest after an exhausting IPL.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Looks like a case of sensationalism - the latest trend at present in India. Trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I don't seem to see anything wrong here - two people throwing stares at each other. But gotta give it to SKY, he just stood there seeming unaffected :lol

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
World's best finisher will not play again for India. Men in Blues will understand the real value of MSD now. So, team India needs a solid finisher with proper technique & mindset now. I don't think, Pandya or Pandey are the finishers. We don't need makeshift finishers. It's the perfect time for selectors to give a chance to SKY. This guy can be the best finisher of India. He is bit like "Mr. Cricket". SKY is a complete 360* player & knows very well how to finish matches with ease. He likes tough situations. I don't know why they aren't selecting him. He is a far better player than amateur finishers like Pandya & Pandey. Surya is ready to shine, but the selectors have no spine.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India

I don't see anything wrong in it Naman. I really want to see what went on between Pandya and Morris because I think that was a more tense exchange which was not well covered by our C grade broadcasters.

Neo 7

National Board President
India
Avengers
I don't see anything wrong in it Naman. I really want to see what went on between Pandya and Morris because I think that was a more tense exchange which was not well covered by our C grade broadcasters.

Aamir Sohail moment .... :p

Users who are viewing this thread