Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
KKR with the spin factory btw. They now have Narine, Shakib, Kuldeep, Harbhajan, Negi, and Varun Chakravathi.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
@Bevab - On Krishnappa Gowtham, we have seen him perform for Rajasthan Royals where he has won them games with the bat and has also been tight with the ball. We have seen numerous times where players are picked for a side where they are not a good fit or where the culture/environment does not suit them as well and therefore they dont perform to their potential. Guys like Watson are prime examples (he was a dud with RCB, but before that he did well for Rajasthan, and after his disastrous stint with RCB, he came to CSK and recaptured his glory). Maybe Gowtham might follow that Watson trajectory (RR -> KXIP -> CSK).

One thing that influences all the discussions in a negative way is the money information being disclosed to public. So people are talking about "does X deserve this much money? Doesn't Y deserve more than what he got?". Unnecessary! All that is important is, does X or Y help fulfill the team's plans and fill their gaps. I think Gowtham is a great option and I called for his CSK selection here since the last few weeks and good to see CSK picking him.

I dont know who Hari Shankar Reddy or Bhagath Varma are. Hearing that Hari Shankar is a 6'3" height seamer and Bhagath Varma is an off spinner. Wonder who gave these inputs for CSK to pick these lads. Hope these are value picks.

ChePu (Pujara) with the ChePa (Chepauk) home team! :D CSK getting goodwill and applause for picking Pujara, but its a mixed thing. Definitely not a bad thing, but now Pujara cant play county in prep for England tour, so its a mixed thing.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Josh Hazlewood might not play the IPL thanks to CSK. He now has to bowl to him in the nets!!

@SaiSrini How were the predictions?

Well done bud! You got them right before me. The prime bids (Moeen and Gowtham) were spot on.

Now hoping CSK are galvanized this year by the return of Raina and these new fresh guys and also the crowds and get back to their IPL 2018/2019 form.

Josh Hazlewood needs to watch the Hindi movie URI now and encourage himself saying "How's the Josh? Very high sir". Pujara is now in his team and net sessions are going to be interesting... :D

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Quite funny that the player I consider to be the best IPL Aussie pacer in T20s is also the one who is the least paid. And he may not even be a first choice bowler!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
View attachment 243325
"Purely on a skill basis"
"Get the kid out of the house. Lockdown has been too long."
138483-sachin.jpg

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Our very own Josh Hazlewood. :spy

I think Josh is likely to play this year, especially if the IPL is restricted to Mumbai area. Analysts and experts have been talking about how the red soil can influence more bounce and therefore make fast bowlers a good proposition.

I wish they can somehow host the IPL in its original format or home and away venues. I mean how can you explain the fact that Chennai has just hosted two tests without any problems, and yet, they dont get to host the IPL? And how do you justify the choice of Mumbai area when cases are on a surge in those areas? I am sure they are adamant in hosting IPL in Maharashtra area just to ensure that Motera (Ahmedabad - Jay Shah and BJP's ground) gets to host games this IPL.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Decent auction for SRH, given that they already had the players they needed. As shit as Jadhav has been in the last few seasons, an experienced Indian batsmen was badly needed for SRH's middle order and hopefully a change of franchise frees him up a bit. The only options were really Nair or Jadhav, but Nair has been pretty shoddy in T20's in recent times anyway. Getting Mujeeb at his base price was a pretty good deal, he could possibly bowl a lot better with less pressure off of him bowling alongside his countrymen Rashid and Nabi.

Jadhav's inclusion could potentially give other overseas players the opportunity to play more and solidify SRH's middle order and take some pressure off of Kane to carry the middle order like he did last season. However I think the issue of having to drop Kane to have a more balanced side with all rounders will still be a difficult decision to make. He's too good to be left off and at the same time SRH lacks balance sometimes when having three overseas players locked in every time.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I actually think CSK have a very good Indian contingent for their batting that they can afford to stack up their bowling with foreign players and focus on a great bowling attack.

Ruturaj
Jagadeesan
Raina
Rayudu
Dhoni
Jadeja
Curran *
Bravo *
Chahar
Hazlewood *
Tahir *

This would be for a wicket that helps seamers or one that is great for batting (like Wankhede). If the pitch has turn, Bravo can be swapped out for Moeen Ali. Or Bravo can be swapped out for Gowtham/Sai Kishore and Rayudu can be swapped out for Faf.

Saw on the Ashwin post-auction YT show that the CSK fan felt disappointed with our auction performance and gave it a 5 or 6 (out of 10). Absolute rubbish. I would give it a 8/10. Normally CSK picks a core group with not many replacements available and punts on them to play majority of the games. This is a rare scenario where CSK have focused on picking lots of backups for many players and can swap things around easily in search of wins.

Users who are viewing this thread