Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
Okay so after playing some good 15-20+ hours on my own custom sliders, there is ONE annoying niggle which has started to ruin my experience. A.I batter shuffling ACROSS to play a leg glance even when ball is pitched on 4th,5th even 6th stump. No Leading edges either playing a leg glance when bowl straightens pitching middle and off (out swinger).

This ruins the bowling experience so much because you work hard setting up batsmen bowling wide of off, hoping to angle in as the over progresses, only for A.I to play an almost frusteratingly effortless leg glance towards a single, double or a four in some occasions

I know it's a known issue, can someone thoroughly guide me how do i minimize this pleasee? Minimize unrealistic A.I shuffle across stumps that is, Would be superbly grateful.

P.S: if this has been already resolved via some community intervention, do share the link thanks :)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Okay so after playing some good 15-20+ hours on my own custom sliders, there is ONE annoying niggle which has started to ruin my experience. A.I batter shuffling ACROSS to play a leg glance even when ball is pitched on 4th,5th even 6th stump. No Leading edges either playing a leg glance when bowl straightens pitching middle and off (out swinger).

This ruins the bowling experience so much because you work hard setting up batsmen bowling wide of off, hoping to angle in as the over progresses, only for A.I to play an almost frusteratingly effortless leg glance towards a single, double or a four in some occasions

I know it's a known issue, can someone thoroughly guide me how do i minimize this pleasee? Minimize unrealistic A.I shuffle across stumps that is, Would be superbly grateful.

P.S: if this has been already resolved via some community intervention, do share the link thanks :)
This is a legacy issue. I've only played Ashes Cricket from 2017 and it was an issue then. Didn't have 19 but guessing it was a thing there to, and I'm gonna say it could have happened before 2017 as well.

I agree with your assessment as well. It's really hard to build pressure and bowl to a plan sometimes when the AI can work you away like they do.

More frustrating to me is that as a user you can't do the same. You'll just get a miss and poor input.

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
This is a legacy issue. I've only played Ashes Cricket from 2017 and it was an issue then. Didn't have 19 but guessing it was a thing there to, and I'm gonna say it could have happened before 2017 as well.

I agree with your assessment as well. It's really hard to build pressure and bowl to a plan sometimes when the AI can work you away like they do.

More frustrating to me is that as a user you can't do the same. You'll just get a miss and poor input.

Thanks for reply, yeah i guess it's a structural issue big ant needs to resolve somewhere down the line.

That one alongside the fact how A.I can read the length and swing of the ball perfectly to leave a ball whizzing past 4th stump, or leaving a ball pitching at offstump and moving away. Absolutely bonkers, unrealistic, frusterating and i've seen this happen i think, ever since the beginning od BigAnt Cricket Franchise?

Don't get me wrong i do feel this game has come a lonng way but there definitely are some structural Cricket Video game issues that need solving.

1. Realistic Ball & Bat physics. This goes without any explanation, that's just a fundamental Development which will fix all the many issues one encounters.

2. Realistic edges of defensive shots (currently i have rarely seen an edge to slips or keeper from a defensive shot both for A.I or Human Batting)

3. The scripted A.I batting as mentioned above which can read the line & length perfectly in order to leave the ball bowled closer to the wicket, without any fuss or false shot. Or glance a 4th-6th stump delivery to legside with ease.

4. Human Batting: 360 degree footwork modifier which actually modifies the footwork to the direction of Left stick to basically introduce full range of shots, false shots, aswell as lbw chances. For example, a leg glance of a delivery bowled on middle-off (as rumple commented) by move the stick towards off and shot direction towards leg should plant the foot outside off and play a glance towards leg.

5. Better PRO controls for Normal Shots vs Finesse shots (R1 button), Aggressive Ground Shots vs advance shots:

So with point no.1 i think should come an overall of PRO controls based on some common sense cricket principles IMHO

a. A normal Shot (Left stick footwork right stick direction) should NEVER be powerful enough to take the ball towards a four. one Exception could be when the shot played is in direction of the speed of the ball i.e. guiding ball towards 3rd, late cut shot etc.

b. An advance ground shot's input should Never be more complex (Both Triggers) than a advance lofted shot's input (Single Trigger L2). I feel it's a matter of common sense that i should be able to play advance ground shots more easily and More frequently than lofted shots, NO?

Currently the weird advance ground shots control can only be played properly if i premeditate it most of the time. Rather than at will.

I don't have a problem with premeditating a shot and that's somewhat realistic too but i think i should be premeditating a LOFTED shot rather an aggressive grounded shot

c. Finesse shot (R1) should be more useful in the sense that it should allow to actually pierce the gaps and help play shots in all areas of the ground.

Currently finesse shot is only a normal shot with less power and less edge chance, which is good but this shot can be modified and made ACTUALLY Useful in a lot more better ways.

Imagine if you're able to pierce a small gap b/w gully and point to guide a delivery towards 2 runs?

I am not saying this doesn't happen at all currently with finesse shot modifier, but has been a hit and miss imho.

d. Charging down the pitch animation and timing input should be rehauled. Currently i find it LITERALLY impossible to play a charged down shot. Infact i'd love broader forums' opinions if someone is able to do so relatively frequently.

Anyhoo, thanks alot for reading. I do hope MATTW/Ross has a chance seeing this, and other regular Contributers have valuable comments/acknowledgements to share

Last edited:

gkvarma18

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Excellent post. Sliding has been an issue in this game as both AI and human batter slides to play unrealistic shots. Even Wicket keeper slides as well. Sadly Ross or BA team may not be interested to see these posts because support could have been stopped after Switch launch.
Thanks for reply, yeah i guess it's a structural issue big ant needs to resolve somewhere down the line.

That one alongside the fact how A.I can read the length and swing of the ball perfectly to leave a ball whizzing past 4th stump, or leaving a ball pitching at offstump and moving away. Absolutely bonkers, unrealistic, frusterating and i've seen this happen i think, ever since the beginning od BigAnt Cricket Franchise?

Don't get me wrong i do feel this game has come a lonng way but there definitely are some structural Cricket Video game issues that need solving.

1. Realistic Ball & Bat physics. This goes without any explanation, that's just a fundamental Development which will fix all the many issues one encounters.

2. Realistic edges of defensive shots (currently i have rarely seen an edge to slips or keeper from a defensive shot both for A.I or Human Batting)

3. The scripted A.I batting as mentioned above which can read the line & length perfectly in order to leave the ball bowled closer to the wicket, without any fuss or false shot. Or glance a 4th-6th stump delivery to legside with ease.

4. Human Batting: 360 degree footwork modifier which actually modifies the footwork to the direction of Left stick to basically introduce full range of shots, false shots, aswell as lbw chances. For example, a leg glance of a delivery bowled on middle-off (as rumple commented) by move the stick towards off and shot direction towards leg should plant the foot outside off and play a glance towards leg.

5. Better PRO controls for Normal Shots vs Finesse shots (R1 button), Aggressive Ground Shots vs advance shots:

So with point no.1 i think should come an overall of PRO controls based on some common sense cricket principles IMHO

a. A normal Shot (Left stick footwork right stick direction) should NEVER be powerful enough to take the ball towards a four. one Exception could be when the shot played is in direction of the speed of the ball i.e. guiding ball towards 3rd, late cut shot etc.

b. An advance ground shot's input should Never be more complex (Both Triggers) than a advance lofted shot's input (Single Trigger L2). I feel it's a matter of common sense that i should be able to play advance ground shots more easily and More frequently than lofted shots, NO?

Currently the weird advance ground shots control can only be played properly if i premeditate it most of the time. Rather than at will.

I don't have a problem with premeditating a shot and that's somewhat realistic too but i think i should be premeditating a LOFTED shot rather an aggressive grounded shot

c. Finesse shot (R1) should be more useful in the sense that it should allow to actually pierce the gaps and help play shots in all areas of the ground.

Currently finesse shot is only a normal shot with less power and less edge chance, which is good but this shot can be modified and made ACTUALLY Useful in a lot more better ways.

Imagine if you're able to pierce a small gap b/w gully and point to guide a delivery towards 2 runs?

I am not saying this doesn't happen at all currently with finesse shot modifier, but has been a hit and miss imho.

d. Charging down the pitch animation and timing input should be rehauled. Currently i find it LITERALLY impossible to play a charged down shot. Infact i'd love broader forums' opinions if someone is able to do so relatively frequently.

Anyhoo, thanks alot for reading. I do hope MATTW/Ross has a chance seeing this, and other regular Contributers have valuable comments/acknowledgements to share

Goodking

Club Cricketer
Hi everyone, long time veteran of BigAnt cricket games here. Only just got onboard with Cricket 22 since I was deep in a career mode on Cricket 19. I'm getting to grips with the batting using the excellent Rumple sliders, which feels great (it's nice to be able to finally smash short pitched spin deliveries where they deserve) albeit having to play everything a bit later than C19 has taken getting used to. I started a career as fast-med swing bowler in England. So far, I'm not getting anything like a realistic spread of bowling dismissals, whereas C19 was superb in this regard.

1) I have a huge number of bowled off of inside edges, even off wide driven deliveries, where the ball takes a huge edge inwards at a strange angle. Probably about 50% of my dismissals are this method (or edged drives to slips, or very very rarely an edged defensive shot). These dismissals really don't feel great/earned even when set up correctly
2) Also a lot of insides edges into pads and then caught in the slips, which also isn't common in real life
3) 'Clean' bowled dismissals are really rare, I had maybe 3 or 4 in two seasons. I used to get these in C19 bowling an in-ducker every couple of overs in between the out-swingers. There is a bit of the DBC17 feeling that the batter psychically knows whether every delivery is going to hit the stumps or not and leaves/defends accordingly. C19 was a bit better in that regard and you would especially see these in death overs with batsmen throwing the kitchen sink at everything
4) Lbw is so rare. I would get a realistic proportion of my dismissals lbw in C19 usually throwing in a full-of-good-length (or full) delivery pitching on leg stump to swing out and hit in front of middle, or the AI just missing a straight one or in-swinger (which happens), at the risk of getting clipped into the leg side for runs. In C22 the AI plays and times these nearly without fail, even as low-rated tail-enders. I had only 3 lbw in 2 entire seasons... including one that was given out but was shown to be missing the stumps on the tracker.

As a result of these I'm pretty much ending up bowling nothing but outswingers and the odd bouncer, if the field is set for that and the batter shows weak cut/hook/pull (not that this appears to make much difference in gameplay), as there's very little point in targeting the stumps. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong, different settings? Is this endemic of batting in grassy England conditions with the Rumple sliders?

---

Regarding kashan123999's post, completely agree - I also have abandoned ever using the charge-down-the-wicket shot, I just cannot time them.

Crassus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Haven't been on for a while, doesn't seem like a patch has been released for weeks, haven't played the game much either to be honest.

Are we safe to assume now that BA consider the game finished?

Gamefroggy

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Anyone else had the ball hitting invisible edge when batting? On the replay you could clearly see that the ball didn't even get close to the edge of the bat. Almost the same problem that were in earlier patches when the ball hit an invisible wall. Happened twice in one match with me. If the script wants you out then what is the point of timing the ball?

Last edited:

billionaiire

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Apologies to all the veterans here to interrupt, as I am just getting back to playing a bit of Cricket and bought Cricket 22. I loved Cricket 19. There are literally hundreds of pages here of you guys discussing some very valuable stuff.

Really the only thing that bugs me is the fact that all these cricket games use this technique where the camera is laser focused on the vertical motion of the ball (if a ball bounces off the ground, the camera bounces off the ground as well) - this is especially apparent if you see the replays.

Am I the only person who gets incredibly bothered by this lack of realism? If you have a video camera and are recording a live cricket match, would you keep your camera steady or would you follow the ball's "up and down" motion? :)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

They do happen, you just need some slider tinkering to make it happen. Mainly the "ok timing edge" slider, so that if your timing isn't spot on, any shot, including defensive ones, can draw an edge.

Like this.

And the first wicket in this pair.

And this.

And this.

I probably have other examples, but these were the first four I found. It can be done.
Post automatically merged:

Apologies to all the veterans here to interrupt, as I am just getting back to playing a bit of Cricket and bought Cricket 22. I loved Cricket 19. There are literally hundreds of pages here of you guys discussing some very valuable stuff.

Really the only thing that bugs me is the fact that all these cricket games use this technique where the camera is laser focused on the vertical motion of the ball (if a ball bounces off the ground, the camera bounces off the ground as well) - this is especially apparent if you see the replays.

Am I the only person who gets incredibly bothered by this lack of realism? If you have a video camera and are recording a live cricket match, would you keep your camera steady or would you follow the ball's "up and down" motion? :)
You're not wrong, but it is what it is.

I also wouldn't slide a foot outside off stump and flick a ball to fine leg, but here we are :-)

Some of enjoying Cricket 22 is just accepting it for what it is I think, especially since some of the things are legacy based and have been in a number of releases.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Curious about what these "nice additions" will be. Maybe the usual gameplay fixes and hopefully updated kits for NZ, especially that test kit. More leggie actions is what I want.
I think high on my list, as daft as it sounds as it's purely aesthetic, is a wider variety of bowler celebrations.

No more aeroplanes, please!

Users who are viewing this thread