General Cricket Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The IPL owners have just one clear plan though, to expand their profile and portfolio in other markets whilst sharing non-playing resources between their franchises in different countries. They’ll then try to coerce their way into sharing players between the franchises to by strong-arming the league admins in the near future. All for brand recognition. These franchises will largely be to scout for new players for their IPL sides and test their newer IPL recruits. In time these leagues will be feeder systems in a pyramid style with the IPL at the top. Endgame will be the owners pushing for Indian players to play in the leagues abroad to maximise brand potential. At this point I expect the BCCI to stand firm on their policy and ultimately lose this battle.

I fiercely dislike this potential future,

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
IPL owners owning teams in foreign leagues is not unprecedented tbh. I second @Bevab to an extent when he makes a mention of the feeder system.

In due course,I expect the IPL to move away entirely from the current auction mechanism and have an open market transfer amongst teams. With MI &Co.owning teams in SA, WI it is a matter of time before the auction goes for a toss.

Also,this caught me by surprise!
Disney-Star now has a monopoly when it comes to cricket rights. If Sony has indeed lost both England and Australia rights, I wonder what they're going to do in order to stay relevant. Star already has ICC, BCCI,IPL ,SA. The other nations don't matter tbh as they don't take adequate revenues.

In terms of non-cricketing content too, Star has the F1, A few tennis tournaments, football. Really wonder how Sony-Espn are going to tackle this. In order to stay relevant towards the audience,they need to win the ICC rights for sure.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The IPL owners have just one clear plan though, to expand their profile and portfolio in other markets whilst sharing non-playing resources between their franchises in different countries. They’ll then try to coerce their way into sharing players between the franchises to by strong-arming the league admins in the near future. All for brand recognition. These franchises will largely be to scout for new players for their IPL sides and test their newer IPL recruits. In time these leagues will be feeder systems in a pyramid style with the IPL at the top. Endgame will be the owners pushing for Indian players to play in the leagues abroad to maximise brand potential. At this point I expect the BCCI to stand firm on their policy and ultimately lose this battle.

I fiercely dislike this potential future,
Was thinking the same. The only possible reason I could see for them not pushing for Indian players might be to maintain that 'premium' of the IPL to keep its value up.

As regard to other players, you could well see them becoming contracted to a specific franchise group as opposed to national boards. They might have a pool of 30 players from different countries that switch between leagues depending on local players regulations.

The branding point is a good one. You look at major sports teams in the US or what football teams in Europe push towards, it's being that global brand (TV money, merchandising, expensive exhibition matches, matches in other countries). You might not be able to see CSK play, but you could see the Cape Town Kings or the Manchester Super Invincibles with their roster of talent. Equally, you might get a 2-week leg of the IPL player in another country as happens with the NFL matches at Wembley or like the Premier League teams were pushing for a 39th game ten years ago.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I believe the next big thing in Cricket will come from the United States. If the USA is serious about developing its own league, they'll need far more than what they are doing nowadays. Yes, they have offered citizenship to some players in exchange for playing for the USA, however the money will only start flowing in once they tap into the big shots.

Getting a Lalit Modi/ Sundar Raman on board would turn their fortunes for sure. A market as big as USA- couple that with top international players+ T20, you've got a winning formula. Mark my words, the day USA launches it league and get the top guns in, cricket will change forever.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Bangladesh have pulled their weekly captaincy change.

This time it's Nurul Hasan as T20 captain. 271 runs @ 12.90 (SR: 111.98, best 30*) from 33 games suggest he's lucky to be in the side at all, let alone promoted to captain.

You love to see it

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys

This time it's Nurul Hasan as T20 captain. 271 runs @ 12.90 (SR: 111.98, best 30*) from 33 games suggest he's lucky to be in the side at all, let alone promoted to captain.

You love to see it
There's got to be better players than that. Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are easily the worst T20 teams among all Test-playing nations in my opinion.

Bevab

Staff Member

You love to see it

It is just for one series though. Looks like they’re copying our ideas in hopes of attaining similar results.

Bit confused as to why his numbers are that bad though. T20 is his weakest format but he’s still one of the few aggressive Bangladeshi players and if Afif and Shakib play in the XI there’s an argument for having him down the order purely as a slogger.

There's got to be better players than that. Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are easily the worst T20 teams among all Test-playing nations in my opinion.

Eh Ireland are easily the worst T20I side IMO. They’re lucky to have a few individual stars to bail them out.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Litton or Mehidy would have been better choices. The Mahmudullah sacking was always on the cards ever since Nazmul Hasan called him for a meet. Well, good luck to the new captain...

Bevab

Staff Member
Litton or Mehidy would have been better choices. The Mahmudullah sacking was always on the cards ever since Nazmul Hasan called him for a meet. Well, good luck to the new captain...

I assume they’re keeping Liton away from captaincy at the moment for good reason. As for Mehidy, his last T20I was nearly four years ago. Despite his nous it would be strange to bring in the guy and immediately make him captain when he isn’t a regular of any sort.

Apparently Nurul was the successful skipper in the Dhaka Premier League which has prompted this decision. Well he isn’t going to get an easier assignment to start off with internationally.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
It is just for one series though. Looks like they’re copying our ideas in hopes of attaining similar results.
temporary_captain.jpeg

Bit confused as to why his numbers are that bad though. T20 is his weakest format but he’s still one of the few aggressive Bangladeshi players and if Afif and Shakib play in the XI there’s an argument for having him down the order purely as a slogger.
It's a curious one for sure, but I think there are three main factors to explain the bad numbers:
1. Bangladeshi home conditions are notoriously bad for batters, especially those who mighr consider themselves boundary hitters
2. An acute lack of role-clarity; a lack of available power hitters in Bangladesh does mean that players arrive in the national side needing to play a role that's totally new to them.
3. He just isn't that good. Like out of 18 counties I think he'd maybe make six of their XIs as a keeper-batter. Those six would be sort of Derbyshire-tier.
Eh Ireland are easily the worst T20I side IMO. They’re lucky to have a few individual stars to bail them out.
Yes, yes we are. We are atrocious, and there's every chance we'll miss the World T20 this year

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I believe the next big thing in Cricket will come from the United States. If the USA is serious about developing its own league, they'll need far more than what they are doing nowadays. Yes, they have offered citizenship to some players in exchange for playing for the USA, however the money will only start flowing in once they tap into the big shots.

Getting a Lalit Modi/ Sundar Raman on board would turn their fortunes for sure. A market as big as USA- couple that with top international players+ T20, you've got a winning formula. Mark my words, the day USA launches it league and get the top guns in, cricket will change forever.
There was a good discussion on a recent episode of The Analyst Inside Cricket podcast with the VP of Marketing for Major League Cricket in the USA. Worth listening to for anyone who's interested in what's happening with cricket in America, and what they have planned.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

Users who are viewing this thread