Why the IPL is costing the ICC money

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
With no International Cricket for 3 months due to the IPL the ICC is only running at 75 percent of it's maximum earning potential.
3 months with no International Cricket because we are pandering to white ball mercenaries is rubbish, can't we just continue on without them?
A lot of top level players are skipping the IPL these days anyway.
Without making your name in International Cricket you are not worth anything in Franchise cricket anyway, it doesn't make sense.
The ICC is basically cutting it's profits by 25 percent with this ridiculous 3 month window for the IPL, why don't the various International Cricket Boards stand up for themselves and play without those guys.
It doesn't make business sense to cut your profits by 25 percent per year due someone else wanting to make money.
Money drives everything, maximise your star's earning potential by playing 12 months a year instead of 9.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
With no International Cricket for 3 months due to the IPL the ICC is only running at 75 percent of it's maximum earning potential.
3 months with no International Cricket because we are pandering to white ball mercenaries is rubbish, can't we just continue on without them?
Without making your name in International Cricket you are not worth anything in Franchise cricket anyway, it doesn't make sense.
The ICC is basically cutting it's profits by 25 percent with this ridiculous 3 month window for the IPL, why don't the various International Cricket Boards stand up for themselves and play without those guys.
It doesn't make business sense to cut your profits by 25 percent per year due someone else wanting to make money.
Money drives everything, maximise your star's earning potential by playing 12 months a year instead of 9.

Other boards receive money from their players playing in the IPL. The ICC doesn’t make any money from a random bilateral series between two of it’s member nations. The IPL window of late March to mid May has traditionally been bereft of international cricket barring a couple of series. West Indies used to host whichever country was willing to tour them from mid April. England would host a country from mid May. On occasion there would be a nation willing to tour an Asian country somewhere around these dates. That’s about it. There isn’t going to be a mythical international carnival of cricket in these two months that you dream of.

South Africa tried it last year and lost to Bangladesh without their main players. Without the bigger names you’re missing out on potential revenue to be generated and it’s a lot more expensive to organise a series these days especially tests which I’m sure is what you want.

Even in the recent past Pakistan (for obvious reasons), Zimbabwe, Ireland, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies have all played cricket bang in the middle of the IPL season. England have started their international home seasons before the IPL ended on most occasions which is why their players have never been big sells in the auction traditionally. Australia have played on either side of the IPL season on occasions.

The current trend of players wanting to pull out of the IPL is due to it’s increasing season duration without a substantial bump in their pay for it. Half the blokes pulling out are ones who wouldn’t be picked due to their lack of commitment previously or ones who would have only been sold for base price which they rightly feel wouldn’t be adequate compensation for their services. The other half are ones with high workload and the injury prone ones who wouldn’t be willing to play any form of intensive cricket in this time.

I’ve not even come to the big point that you no doubt are getting it which is the BCCI’s team being a huge revenue generator for any other country when they tour there and the other boards wanting to be on their good side whilst receiving monetary compensation on the side. It’s funny seeing the IPL being bashed for random things and catching strays ranging from India’s underperformance in WCs to cricket being ruined due to it when the people involved in all of it haven’t given a hoot about it.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I’ve been saying a while now that cricket would be better without the IPL. In fact let India play IPL year around for all I care.

@Slowcoach thanks for standing up and posting this. Expect some Indians to post BS countering this. They have no regard for other countries at all.

I’m glad Aussies are giving up on T20 cricket and now even the players couldnt be bothered by the IPL! Other countries need to follow suit and eventually they willl because the BCCI is intent on taking a mammoth share of the ICC revenue.

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
I’ve been saying a while now that cricket would be better without the IPL. In fact let India play IPL year around for all I care.

Says the guy who only posts on Indian threads, watches only Indian games (if at all he watches cricket these days) and only posts content related to Indian cricket 99% of the time.

Bevab

Staff Member
Would love a two months test championship but, much like when people say ODIs should be scrapped, any gap in the schedule these days would be filled by more T20 franchise tournaments.

The only places you could hold that in those months would be West Indies and England though. Australia would be having one of it’s bazillion football tournaments, NZ would be on break or following suit and I doubt you can play that many tests in current weather conditions in Asia without Stokes turning as red as the England jersey.

Bevab

Staff Member
I’d even say that organising the most purist version of a test championship in place of the IPL wouldn’t satisfy the two blokes moaning on here. They’d simply find something else to moan about.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The only places you could hold that in those months would be West Indies and England though. Australia would be having one of it’s bazillion football tournaments, NZ would be on break or following suit and I doubt you can play that many tests in current weather conditions in Asia without Stokes turning as red as the England jersey.
Wouldn't last long in England in May :lol I think I'd just love to see a more grander finish or version of the test championship. Perhaps semi finals or an eliminator then final. If you split the test championship into two groups of six it'd probably work (or for me, 4x3 then into a top division and second division. But then you get into territory of the test championship being organised properly and not just be an attempt to make it look like bilateral series matter.

IPL has it's window - which is going to grow - and you just have to accept it until it reaches it's saturation point (if it has one - I'm generally interested how long people - IPL fans, other boards, would tolerate it lasting). The ICC (or at least other boards) have ceded ground to the BCCI and, what interests me, is how much has the BCCI ceded to the private owners. Was the plan or hope that they would expand around the world to gobble up other tournaments or is the BCCI concerned about that?

Bevab

Staff Member
Wouldn't last long in England in May :lol I think I'd just love to see a more grander finish or version of the test championship. Perhaps semi finals or an eliminator then final. If you split the test championship into two groups of six it'd probably work (or for me, 4x3 then into a top division and second division. But then you get into territory of the test championship being organised properly and not just be an attempt to make it look like bilateral series matter.

IPL has it's window - which is going to grow - and you just have to accept it until it reaches it's saturation point (if it has one - I'm generally interested how long people - IPL fans, other boards, would tolerate it lasting). The ICC (or at least other boards) have ceded ground to the BCCI and, what interests me, is how much has the BCCI ceded to the private owners. Was the plan or hope that they would expand around the world to gobble up other tournaments or is the BCCI concerned about that?

From my perspective (highly subjective warning) the BCCI did not plan or hope for the IPL owners to start becoming influential to this extent in cricket as a whole. They're an external factor/agent who cannot be controlled by the BCCI. The board loves it's control and hegemony. Having said that the BCCI itself is being subject to change now... whilst it's always had a good level of political control in it the current govt seem to have realised it's power a lot more and are stepping up the efforts.

I don't think the IPL can grow in length anymore.. it already felt saturated last season with a bunch of meaningless games at the end. Unless they rework the format to have a split into groups/lesser games and/or there is a significant change in how cricket as a whole must be going forward think it'll have a decline not too dissimilar to the BBL without falling into the abyss as much as the latter did. There is definitely plenty of room for expansion of the league with teams though, plenty of international stadiums in India only host the odd game every three years and domestic fixtures alongside it and there are many regions that are cricket heavy without having a proper team to root for. Which is why I think they'll switch to a multi group format in the future if they expand the league to keep it compact.

The Test Championship in it's current version is just a farce. It's failed to even give proper games to the weaker sides like it claimed it would so far and hasn't brought the mythical India-Pakistan clash that was also supposed to be a big deal. I'd just scrap it and look at reinventing cricket instead.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India

The plan has always been complete world domination! They own all the SA fast food T20 franchise and a couple well in the WI fast food version.

Test championship was always a silly idea and a shit show. For more than a century teams competed home and away series just fine!

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Whether you like it or not - IPL is a money-printing machine in India for domestic and overseas players. There is no hate for any of the players signing up or playing it (I would do the exact same thing if I had the opportunity). Plus, how to expect cricket to grow if you're just going to advertise the 5-day version?

To side with @Bevab , the WTC has been mediocre and hasn't really done anything special. The India-Pakistan clash was never going to happen, whichever side you want to want to blame for that (for India - they don't really care for the revenue knowing that the IPL is flourishing and no matter where you play the ex-pats will come and fill out the stadiums - ala the WC)

Though I do agree that maybe the T20 leagues around the world have led to the international calendar dying down - there is never going to be changed in the short or long run. The 3-month window won't change because the stadiums are packed for even the most pointless and boring games - beneficial for all the owners and the BCCI?

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Whether you like it or not - IPL is a money-printing machine in India for domestic and overseas players. There is no hate for any of the players signing up or playing it (I would do the exact same thing if I had the opportunity). Plus, how to expect cricket to grow if you're just going to advertise the 5-day version?

To side with @Bevab , the WTC has been mediocre and hasn't really done anything special. The India-Pakistan clash was never going to happen, whichever side you want to want to blame for that (for India - they don't really care for the revenue knowing that the IPL is flourishing and no matter where you play the ex-pats will come and fill out the stadiums - ala the WC)

Though I do agree that maybe the T20 leagues around the world have led to the international calendar dying down - there is never going to be changed in the short or long run. The 3-month window won't change because the stadiums are packed for even the most pointless and boring games - beneficial for all the owners and the BCCI?
Would an economic meltdown in India, if and perhaps when it does occur affect the IPL
at that point?

Are the other boards reaping a higher financial balance from the share of players listed in the IPL as opposed to playing an international bi-lateral series. I dont have the values but I doubt thats the case and from my end it seems the IPL is financially beneficial to India and a select few international cricketers.

Users who are viewing this thread