England tour of Pakistan - 7 T20Is, 3 Tests

B

Bigby Wolf

This test match is best example of how to kill test cricket.

Yeah still early to say but the pattern can seen already.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I was thinking about this (see tweet) last summer. Yesterday added to that feeling that England are really pushing the boundaries (pun not intended, but I like it anyway) of ambition and expectations for batting in test cricket. Whether it was the high run chase or high scoring starts.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I was thinking about this (see tweet) last summer. Yesterday added to that feeling that England are really pushing the boundaries (pun not intended, but I like it anyway) of ambition and expectations for batting in test cricket. Whether it was the high run chase or high scoring starts.

I don't think this is strictly true. I remember the Aussies in 2000s playing aggressive cricket too. Whilst England's current run rate is around one more than the Aussies managed during that period I'd still wait and see how successful this approach is on unfriendly pitches before heralding a new era.

What's been covered up (no doubt by the English camp who wants opponents to just think they're all vibes) is this side battling through the trying periods of a test. They haven't been always successful at it but they've shown a restraint and willingness to grind through tougher periods in a single match that was lacking in previous regimes due to a sheer lack of confidence. Baz has brought about that change and that has indeed unlocked this side. Another thing I like is that the focus is now on the next match (not even the next series) rather than everything being a buildup to the Ashes like it was in the past.

The main question going forward is how the side will respond if they are subjected to these tougher periods throughout the entire test or even a series. Will their spin attack be able to carry them on Indian pitches? Will their pacers be fit to last through an entire Ashes series on Australia and be effective still? Will a bowling attack without Anderson and Broad be as strong in NZ and South African conditions? Can Pope show the type of resilience that Root and Bairstow have done and can Stokes elevate himself from being a man who's only patient on big occasions to someone who can do this consistently in every series without buckling under pressure?

Skankhunt_42

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
All shots and no blocks, makes Jacks (Will) a dull boy! :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread