Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ashes Cricket was the one where I discovered that you could use the seam control in a certain way - with cutters - to bowl teams out for less than 80 without fail. That was fixed.

That and the issues with spin that has been present at various times is why I think the AI gameplay doesn't handle movement off the pitch particularly well. That might not even be how the game works but that's like my layman's hypothesis.

I did have a look to see if I could find any old bat pad smash videos but it looks like I didn't start uploading until Ashes Cricket. Where I did find this gem (imagine the Benny Hilll theme playing):

It does actually make me want to take @Mouseydread classic teams and do some playfaces.

Do agree, to some extent, about the communication. Clear statements on what you are going to do, what you want to do and what can/can't be done. Wouldn't please everybody but I believe that the more involved and informed a community feels the better. There's an excitement when someone posts from Big Ant on here even now. It is a shame that it isn't a regular thing. Just a dev update on the first of each month, even if it says 'No news this month', might help. Of course it's a two-way street and some of the shitstains posting on here would probably need to wind their neck in.

Now that you mention playfaces.. one of the things I find that has held C22 back to an extent is the lack of custom content compared to C19. The latter had the benefit of having shared it's library with AC17 and could build on it... I'm really surprised that C22 didn't end up implementing something that they said they would do prior to the game's release.

I think I might have a different take on this if I were a mod but I honestly believe 90-95% of the people frustrated here would radically change their tone with better communication from the devs. It was definitely not this toxic in the days of DBC14 for one. It doesn't excuse some of the comments and behaviour that has happened (I shudder to think of what else has been missed by us in public that was probably cleaned up quickly) here but at the end of the day... the devs do have more of an incentive to try to push for better communications after all. At this point in time and from history it is obvious that there's something about gaming culture as a whole that seems to bring out the worst behaviour in people when they happen to be frustrated due to improper communication. There's plenty of games (both excellent and mediocre) in niche markets or genres that have very wholesome communities and most if not all of them have developers or at least someone from the studio interacting with the fans and buyers on a regular basis. I don't think Ross behaving the way he does on Twitter as a cricket version of Miles Jacobsen is helping either. I've seen plenty of reasonable members here go from being big fans of the game and series to either complete indifference or big critics of every thing that has been done in a while and that is never a good sign for the long-term health of an iterative gaming series.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Now that you mention playfaces.. one of the things I find that has held C22 back to an extent is the lack of custom content compared to C19. The latter had the benefit of having shared it's library with AC17 and could build on it... I'm really surprised that C22 didn't end up implementing something that they said they would do prior to the game's release.

I think I might have a different take on this if I were a mod but I honestly believe 90-95% of the people frustrated here would radically change their tone with better communication from the devs. It was definitely not this toxic in the days of DBC14 for one. It doesn't excuse some of the comments and behaviour that has happened (I shudder to think of what else has been missed by us in public that was probably cleaned up quickly) here but at the end of the day... the devs do have more of an incentive to try to push for better communications after all. At this point in time and from history it is obvious that there's something about gaming culture as a whole that seems to bring out the worst behaviour in people when they happen to be frustrated due to improper communication. There's plenty of games (both excellent and mediocre) in niche markets or genres that have very wholesome communities and most if not all of them have developers or at least someone from the studio interacting with the fans and buyers on a regular basis. I don't think Ross behaving the way he does on Twitter as a cricket version of Miles Jacobsen is helping either. I've seen plenty of reasonable members here go from being big fans of the game and series to either complete indifference or big critics of every thing that has been done in a while and that is never a good sign for the long-term health of an iterative gaming series.

Mate some of the comments from some people when BA were present here were terrible. It's the reason they disappeared.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Mate some of the comments from some people when BA were present here were terrible. It's the reason they disappeared.

I don't think I was here towards the middle/end of the DBC14 cycle/start of DBC17 one so I'm unaware of what did happen then. I really don't think I've seen a lot of the terrible comments in recent times other than from the group that will only be rude/trolls. The latter exist in every service industry (even one as essential as healthcare) and I'm really not sure it'd be wise for them to completely cut off communications as in the end it only hurts their prospects in the long run. As I've said though I might have a different take on this if I were a mod or beta tester as I'd have been facing the rudeness directly too.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Desktop Screenshot 2022.12.31 - 20.33.27.14.png

England fightback but Pakistan build healthy lead!

Leach 32-5-107-3
Root 10-2-1-21

Some gorgeous wickets at slip off the spinner to drives and blocks.

Wood excellent..

Its how I would want.

Desktop Screenshot 2022.12.31 - 20.23.38.46.png
Desktop Screenshot 2022.12.31 - 20.18.36.30.png
Desktop Screenshot 2022.12.31 - 20.06.25.61.png
Desktop Screenshot 2022.12.31 - 20.06.34.97.png

A brilliant game is there.. you just have to unlock parts of it. Not ideal.. BUT it is there... Iv got every dismissal you could wish for and the pitch I aimed for!

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot 2022.12.31 - 20.06.25.61.png
    Desktop Screenshot 2022.12.31 - 20.06.25.61.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

I think people assumed that everything could be transferred and useable, when ultimately what could be reused was logos. .

However, the playface template changed and so did kit templates. I made A LOT of faces and I couldn't reuse any - although the changes to the academy meant they'd have looked rubbish anyway. I had a lot of kits that needed to be repurposed - and teams update their kits anyway. I'm also cursed with perfectionism, so everything I upload I re-evaluate if I can improve.

Personally I see this as positives. I've always said the academy is one part of this game that has improved a lot.

--

I threw together a Ponting tonight, using a face I made in 2019 as a base and it looks miles better in C22 (imo). The higher def give more details, which can be good and bad, but the change to the player creator has made it easier to achieve more realistic head models.

1701380_20221231212315_1.png1672528143927.png

Last edited:

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
The thing that I can't really get away from re: ai batting is that, given the range of freedom user bowlers have, trying to simulate the response of a professional batsmen in the context of a given match situation is just such a ridiculously high bar to try and reach.

Then, like a lightning bolt, it hit me ... what if we replaced the C22 batting AI with some sort of GPT chatbot based system?

chatbot cricket 1.png

So far so good, I guess.

chatbot cricket 2.png

Hmm, sounding a bit vague.

chatbot cricket 4.png

Uh, wicketkeeper close to the stumps? Cool, cool.

chatbot cricket 5.png

Well I think we've all learned something important today.

Attachments

• chatbot cricket 3.png
    chatbot cricket 3.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 32

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The thing that I can't really get away from re: ai batting is that, given the range of freedom user bowlers have, trying to simulate the response of a professional batsmen in the context of a given match situation is just such a ridiculously high bar to try and reach.

Then, like a lightning bolt, it hit me ... what if we replaced the C22 batting AI with some sort of GPT chatbot based system?

View attachment 274177

So far so good, I guess.

View attachment 274176

Hmm, sounding a bit vague.

View attachment 274174

Uh, wicketkeeper close to the stumps? Cool, cool.

View attachment 274173

Well I think we've all learned something important today.
You know I was actually thinking about it in slightly simpler terms the other day.

Rock paper scissors

1) If you taught someone the rules and sent them out to play against 10 randos there's a chance they'd win 33% of the matches.

2) If you reviewed the results you might find that 50% of people choose 'Rock', so you go out again and only use 'Paper' and you might increase your win percentage to 50%

3) THEN, you review the results again and find that men are more likely to choose 'rock' and women to choose 'scissors'. So, you adjust your selection to match your opponent and potentially improve your win ratio again.

4) You become Derren Brown and can win 100% matches just by counting how many buttons that person does up on their shirt

I feel like the game at the moment is at (1), where you are throwing down deliveries and hoping that something works. The game needs to give me more to work with to formulate a strategy. Whether it's 'this batter is weaker against left hand bowlers' or 'wrist spin' or more in depth like lines and length.

No idea if that makes sense. A chat bot vice-captain, that you can ask about Mike Gatting's pies, would be revolutionary.

Note: I have had a drink.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
So err, happy new years everyone...

View attachment 274178
17tG.gif

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
I have a theory that Mike Gatting is trapped in a time loop where he goes back in time to the late 70s to tell himself that he absolutely has to eat enough pies by 4 June 1993 to survive the deadly sidespin of Shane Warne's ball of the century by sheer girth.

But alas, in every possible universe no matter how many pies Gatting eats Warne still produces the necessary spin to go around him and clip off stump . Gatting is dismissed and the cycle begins again.

ETA I'm not really clear on how Gatting may have gained time travel powers in the first place but I suppose the first guess would be a radioactive pie.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I have a theory that Mike Gatting is trapped in a time loop where he goes back in time to the late 70s to tell himself that he absolutely has to eat enough pies by 4 June 1993 to survive the deadly sidespin of Shane Warne's ball of the century by sheer girth.

But alas, in every possible universe no matter how many pies Gatting eats Warne still produces the necessary spin to go around him and clip off stump . Gatting is dismissed and the cycle begins again.

ETA I'm not really clear on how Gatting may have gained time travel powers in the first place but I suppose the first guess would be a radioactive pie.
Close the nominations now. Post of the year 2023.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

The episode of Quantum Leap we never knew we needed.

Hester

County Cricketer
I'm not going to go over it again. I have numerous times before in other threads. But if you change a few sliders the run outs are fixed. Iv just bowled 75 overs at Pakistan and not had a single run out.

If I do have one I re load. It takes 30 seconds.

Its not perfect but what game is..

Fifa has plenty wrong with it. People spend hours and hours tinkering with sliders to fix stuff.

They can play spin. Leech just went at 5's in his first 5 overs. But again out the box default it may not be the case.

201-3 would suggest they can bat
OK, can you please link to where run outs for AI have been fixed? I can't find anything. Certainly, it's nothing to do with AI run rate as I've tried everything.

TORNEDO

Club Cricketer
India
Profile Flag
India
First video...

Catching bug looked terrible.
4 byes over the keeper just standing there within 30 seconds.

Haha every game has its issues
even the fielder disappeared in the Sight Screen ta 1.03 in the video.:-):-)

Users who are viewing this thread