Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
Found some very decent field logos, PayTM and a few others. Seems anything with white writing will produce a weird glowing effect under the lights. Still need a lot more from the stadium creator, I'm half a dozen grounds in and running out of different looks.

Gameplay wise, really wish we had an 'easy single'/'easy run' button. Hate the animation where both batsman lean on their bat waiting for the ball to reach the keeper or bowler. Would be awesome to have the option to stroll through the crease when completing a comfortable single or finishing a two or three.

A 'stump firmness' and 'crowd capacity' slider would be great. Spinners knocking out multiple stumps looks cheesy, full powered throws from a shorter distance only clipping off a bail, knocking a pole out of the ground should be a rarer occurrence.

Some cutscene animations need to be improved and fixed. Too many glitches/errors. Stuff like opening batters walking out to the middle going straight through the backside of the stand/fence/sightscreen/flame jets really kills immersion. Cutscenes of the bowler standing at the top of the mark after the last ball of the over or after the winning runs are hit aren't needed too. Grounds like Old Trafford the cutscenes of new batsman walking to the crease are actually wrong and they're walking away from the middle.
Ball is constantly sitting unattended in the centre of the pitch in cutscenes

AI should use human made custom fields more often and also have the option of only using human made custom fields once a certain amount are made. AI should use a field of only 4 fielders outside the 30m circle more often in limited over/T20 games
Really miss the side on Broadcast running/fielding cameras of Ashes Cricket when playing straight down the ground. Needs to return. Broadcast 1 running camera is also wack and panning all over the place and is unplayable for myself
Cheers
The thing about fields is that you've got to work with the capacity of the AI fielders, which currently needs a big old upgrade. Even after an upgrade though, it's not going to be like having an actual experienced human cricketer with super realistic perceptive faculties in every position.

Some combinations of positions are going to work better than others and some nuances - reaction time and capacity for anticipation of close fielders, for instance - are always going to be very difficult to capture really accurately.

And in terms of AI using previously unseen human created fields - if you think about how much experience and intelligence is required to assess the "cricket value" of a field at professional level, how much of this do you expect a videogame AI to be able to replicate?

Part-Time Jaffa

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
@T.J.Hooker II
I have reskilled all CPU AI individual stats- Max value for coverage, diving and ground fielding; Level 5 perk for either On the ropes, Fielding master or Covering for you; Max 5 stars with agility; Aerobic and anaerobic fitness proficiencies increased to their highest possible; General fielding proficiency at Max value with positions increased.
This has improved the AI fielding, I wouldn't say 'dramatically' improved as there is still the odd wtf moment (much rarer) and problems- boundary fielders taking an age to get the ball in after a tap back, 100% single every time square or behind square or when defending etc. But ring fielding is definitely sharper in front of the bat and a lot more two's/three's are harder to judge. I will add I don't adjust my own players stats as some are tied to running between the wickets and I also don't have the time to bowl or field or play longer formats, just chase runs in limited overs, fwiw.
With CPU AI bowlers I have them all reskilled at an overall of 78 or greater, the majority 80 plus. This, bowl quality slider maxed and slight tweaks to hardest batting difficulty, ball marker display at 6 etc leads to a pretty good and fun game.

My point being, like every BA game I've played it's up to the player to try find the best out of it, what works and what doesn't. I wouldn't think it would be any different if custom fields only for AI were to be an option, I would think it would be some degree of trial an error like everything else. Honestly don't expect too much different' in regards to your 'cricket value' question, just more variety, what we have currently is more random than logic anyway; 3 or 4 field changes in an over but always the same old fields, I think my/our very own experience and intelligence would lead to something better then we have now. The option is already there, just doesn't get utilised at all. I think how it is with '22 (atleast for myself with reskilled AI) it's pretty good in the sense of a video game - I wouldn't expect the AI bowler to behave any different to how they do now if I were to create a woeful 8-1 field in a T20 game, for example, and I could always delete a created field if it didn't 'work' to the games code. This, or BA codes a greater number of fields to be used by the AI in limited overs games, just not seeing enough variety, AI just using the same 2 or 3 fields all the time. Have tried making custom limited over matches with extra power plays with only 3 or 4 Max fielders outside the ring, but it is the same very few fields being used. Cheers

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
@T.J.Hooker II
I have reskilled all CPU AI individual stats- Max value for coverage, diving and ground fielding; Level 5 perk for either On the ropes, Fielding master or Covering for you; Max 5 stars with agility; Aerobic and anaerobic fitness proficiencies increased to their highest possible; General fielding proficiency at Max value with positions increased.
This has improved the AI fielding, I wouldn't say 'dramatically' improved as there is still the odd wtf moment (much rarer) and problems- boundary fielders taking an age to get the ball in after a tap back, 100% single every time square or behind square or when defending etc. But ring fielding is definitely sharper in front of the bat and a lot more two's/three's are harder to judge. I will add I don't adjust my own players stats as some are tied to running between the wickets and I also don't have the time to bowl or field or play longer formats, just chase runs in limited overs, fwiw.
With CPU AI bowlers I have them all reskilled at an overall of 78 or greater, the majority 80 plus. This, bowl quality slider maxed and slight tweaks to hardest batting difficulty, ball marker display at 6 etc leads to a pretty good and fun game.

My point being, like every BA game I've played it's up to the player to try find the best out of it, what works and what doesn't. I wouldn't think it would be any different if custom fields only for AI were to be an option, I would think it would be some degree of trial an error like everything else. Honestly don't expect too much different' in regards to your 'cricket value' question, just more variety, what we have currently is more random than logic anyway; 3 or 4 field changes in an over but always the same old fields, I think my/our very own experience and intelligence would lead to something better then we have now. The option is already there, just doesn't get utilised at all. I think how it is with '22 (atleast for myself with reskilled AI) it's pretty good in the sense of a video game - I wouldn't expect the AI bowler to behave any different to how they do now if I were to create a woeful 8-1 field in a T20 game, for example, and I could always delete a created field if it didn't 'work' to the games code. This, or BA codes a greater number of fields to be used by the AI in limited overs games, just not seeing enough variety, AI just using the same 2 or 3 fields all the time. Have tried making custom limited over matches with extra power plays with only 3 or 4 Max fielders outside the ring, but it is the same very few fields being used. Cheers
Yeah, if you're just looking to squeeze a bit more out of the particular bit of the sandbox you like to play in and you're happy to fiddle about by trial and error testing stuff out then you'll probably find some stuff that improves your game experience.

The original idea with DBC14 was, iirc, to generate heat maps from scoring shots and then use that to determine where the fielders ought to go, all on the fly. But it ended up being mostly switched off after a few builds because what happened in practice was that, for instance, in a first class game you'd go out to bat and get a man on the fence wherever you hit a couple of boundaries, and by the time you were 20 not out you had boundary riders everywhere and could then score at 6 an over in 1s and 2s.

Restricting the AIs potential choices to try to avoid wacky effects or unidiomatic selections was really the only way to go from that point.

Late-Cut

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What is the point to have a tournament mode where the AI doesn't rotate the squad players?

Part-Time Jaffa

School Cricketer
The ball physics when defending really needs an overhaul. Would love to see the ball coming off the bat at different speeds/strengths and angles, making quick singles exciting and unpredictable. Also think we should be able to run the ball down to third man with the defensive shot, risking a fine edge to the keeper with poor timing.

Also, what the hell is wrong with the square boundaries at Sophia Gardens? It's like the hit box for the boundary rope is inside the field. Well inside the field. Balls are stopping 5-10 metres short of the Toblerone and its registering as four runs. Not great

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Where do people experience the weirdest things?

I did 60 overs of batting and bowling in a test and the worst thing I saw was a keeper reacting a bit too quickly to take an inside edge off a spinner.

I was setting a hook trap with Mark Wood and ended up getting two wickets caught at deep square leg, although they were from yorkers not bouncers. :lol

Despite getting bowled out for 98 I was enjoying it. My five-man pace attack for England was quite fun to bowl with under cloudy skies at Edgbaston.

One for the stumps nerds.

Shami cleaning me up.
View attachment shamitoduckett.mp4

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Cricket 22 Screenshot 2023.01.21 - 16.46.00.69.png

All 3 results possible in this one.. once you make the AI copetitive its a great battle.

Had a great wicket from Wood, dug it in short to quick for the pull shot off the elbow crashing into stumps.

152 overs of toil for me!!

Gamefroggy

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
View attachment 275287

All 3 results possible in this one.. once you make the AI copetitive its a great battle.

Had a great wicket from Wood, dug it in short to quick for the pull shot off the elbow crashing into stumps.

152 overs of toil for me!!
What difficulty and what is your AI strike rate and wicket chance set to?

Users who are viewing this thread