England tour of New Zealand 2023

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Bet you are regretting saying that now,why on earth didn't we just bat them out of game. Especially when you have a 40 year old as one of your strike bowlers. No wonder Cook and Broad weren't fans of enforcing it. Was also an opportunity for Crawley to get runs with no pressure.
Not really. An England run chase should be fun tonight. Plus I've slept well for the last two days and Jimmy Anderson can put his feet up until June if he wants.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Unless someone has an astonishing start to the county season, I expect he will be there until at least the end of the Ashes if not at least 12 more months.

He's still averaging more than Kieran Powell, Daren Ganga, Imrul Kayes, Devon Smith and Javed Omar as an opener.
He really derailed his charge to the bottom with that two-innings purple patch either side of a flight to Pakistan.

However if there's one silver lining, Jonny Bairstow returning does leave a bottleneck for places.

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
Avengers
It will be really sad if Bairstow doesnt make the 1st 11 now, he's taken over half a decade and a career's worth of matches to become good at test cricket again. Crawley probably has to go for that though, and someone else has to open. If that does happen, I think Stokes might just start opening, he's reduced his bowling workload and he clearly does not care about his stats

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It will be really sad if Bairstow doesnt make the 1st 11 now, he's taken over half a decade and a career's worth of matches to become good at test cricket again. Crawley probably has to go for that though, and someone else has to open. If that does happen, I think Stokes might just start opening, he's reduced his bowling workload and he clearly does not care about his stats

Stokes in his current element as an opener makes too much sense. Bairstow’s very likely to be back in the XI. I wouldn’t be surprised if they even moved Pope up as an opener and tried Root as three in all their infinite Baz wisdom.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Stokes in his current element as an opener makes too much sense. Bairstow’s very likely to be back in the XI. I wouldn’t be surprised if they even moved Pope up as an opener and tried Root as three in all their infinite Baz wisdom.
Why can't Jonny open? He's much more experience opening than Pope or Stokes anyway.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Could Bairstow do better than Crawley as an opener? Probably no worse. But the more important question is who are England more likely to drop? Zak Crawley, stastically one of the worst openers of all time, or Ben Foakes the best keeper in the world who averages almost 40 in the Bazball era?

1677504143659.png

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Is Crawley the KLR of England?

Also, Pope can keep, right? So it's likely that the gentleman above will think of slotting Bairstow in place of Foakes.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Is Crawley the KLR of England?

Also, Pope can keep, right? So it's likely that the gentleman above will think of slotting Bairstow in place of Foakes.
If KLR's Dad plays golf with the Jay Shah, Crawley might be the English version.

No one knows if Bairstow's injury will impact his keeping, but yeah, they have picked Pope ahead of Foakes in the second test in Pakistan (he kept in the first test when Foakes was ill) for 'batting' reasons.

Bevab

Staff Member
I don’t think Foakes is getting dropped. He’s already spoken of as a very important part of the current side and Bazball is all about the small differences adding up to get you a win. Foakes with the glove is one of those crucial differences, he’ll get you a wicket or two just with his keeping every couple of matches. I believe Will Jacks’ presence was the primary reason for Foakes not playing that second test vs Pakistan alongside him perhaps not being fully fit (pure speculation). Asking Pope to keep and bat in the top three under a Bazball workload is a recipe for disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread