India Team Discussion

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I get the feeling that Rohit Sharma isnt really a Test match captain. Yes, while he has led at home and the results seem to be in our favour, he seems to lack the patience that a Test captain needs to have. Obviously, with India, Test captaincy is an on-going nuance, but just wondering what/ who could be the best option looking forth?

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I get the feeling that Rohit Sharma isnt really a Test match captain. Yes, while he has led at home and the results seem to be in our favour, he seems to lack the patience that a Test captain needs to have. Obviously, with India, Test captaincy is an on-going nuance, but just wondering what/ who could be the best option looking forth?

If Shreyas is seen as a long term option in tests he should be the next one. Given that he’s played whenever he’s available I assume he is seen as one. His fitness is the main concern at the moment alongside his suspicious technique against pace.

If we had to choose a skipper in the near future I’d go with Ashwin to fulfil a Kumble like role while we figure out if Shreyas can cut the deal or if we need to get Gill in there.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I want to discuss the future crop of wicket keepers for India. KLR being made to keep is obviously not sitting well with me. People have drawn parallels to Dravid doing the same role during 2003 however, one must note that Dravid did it when there werent any keepers available. Likes of MSK, Dighe, Karim, Parthiv could hardly bat. Them eating up one spot wasnt a viable option in ODI.

The likes of Dhoni, DK changed it all. nowadays, we have Rishab, Kishan, Sanju who are more than capable of batting and bailing the team out. Note, these are proper keepers who can replace certain somebodies in the current line-up without impacting the team's balance.

I did some digging around and tried to figure out the ones who can be considered in the coming years. Let me know your thoughts on them:
  • Vishnu Vinod
  • N Jagadeeshan
  • Dinesh Bana
  • Aryan Juyal
  • Akshay Wadkar
  • Himanshu Mantri
  • Upendra Yadav
My guess is that Bana, Jagadeeshan will get a look in sooner or later-for T20 and ODI. Wadkar, Mantri, Yadav might be considered for the Test format if Pant is unable to do his duties.

Bevab

Staff Member
I want to discuss the future crop of wicket keepers for India. KLR being made to keep is obviously not sitting well with me. People have drawn parallels to Dravid doing the same role during 2003 however, one must note that Dravid did it when there werent any keepers available. Likes of MSK, Dighe, Karim, Parthiv could hardly bat. Them eating up one spot wasnt a viable option in ODI.

The likes of Dhoni, DK changed it all. nowadays, we have Rishab, Kishan, Sanju who are more than capable of batting and bailing the team out. Note, these are proper keepers who can replace certain somebodies in the current line-up without impacting the team's balance.

I did some digging around and tried to figure out the ones who can be considered in the coming years. Let me know your thoughts on them:
  • Vishnu Vinod
  • N Jagadeeshan
  • Dinesh Bana
  • Aryan Juyal
  • Akshay Wadkar
  • Himanshu Mantri
  • Upendra Yadav
My guess is that Bana, Jagadeeshan will get a look in sooner or later-for T20 and ODI. Wadkar, Mantri, Yadav might be considered for the Test format if Pant is unable to do his duties.

None of those options really impress me. Vinod has been around for years and has been nothing more than an inconsistent player. Jagadeesan is an opener and that’s one position we’re heavily stacked in, he doesn’t work well outside of it and I really don’t believe he’s got the necessary aggression to play white ball cricket in a modern style. Wadkar as far as I know used to be a batter primarily before transitioning to a keeper full-time but he’s a decent domestic batter and the same goes for Upendra. I’ve only seen Juyal on an IPL bench and don’t know enough about Bana and Mantri.

Upendra is probably the most appealing player out of that name list. He’s played for India A already and has a solid domestic record. If his keeping is good enough I can see a world where he gets to play tests in the near future especially if Pant transitions to becoming a batter.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India

Expecting SKY to do the same, when we play Afghanistan or Sri Lanka, a series essentially put up for out batsmen to get back into the groove- score daddy double hundreds and assure the public that All is Well!

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend

• Vishnu Vinod
  • N Jagadeeshan
  • Dinesh Bana
  • Aryan Juyal
  • Akshay Wadkar
  • Himanshu Mantri
  • Upendra Yadav
Though I think there is no reason for us look beyond Ishan, Bharat, Sanju and of course Pant (when fit) for the keeper's role, does anyone make anything for Jitesh Sharma for T20Is? The guy is very aggressive batsman and can keep good as well. Can be handy for a finisher's role when Hardik seems to be changing his batting technique to bat more responsibly rather than pinch hitting - something that Dhoni did after he was at the helm of the team. Jaddu/Axar cannot be relied upon to score swift runs most of the times even in T20Is so I think Jitesh can be used the way RCB used Karthik.

The numbers 4,5,6,7 of Sky, Hardik, Jitesh and Jaddu/Axar looks formidable with Shaw/Ishan and Gill at the top and Virat at #3.

Obviously if Rishabh is fit, he walks in to replace Jitesh and bats at #4 or #5.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Though I think there is no reason for us look beyond Ishan, Bharat, Sanju and of course Pant (when fit) for the keeper's role, does anyone make anything for Jitesh Sharma for T20Is? The guy is very aggressive batsman and can keep good as well. Can be handy for a finisher's role when Hardik seems to be changing his batting technique to bat more responsibly rather than pinch hitting - something that Dhoni did after he was at the helm of the team. Jaddu/Axar cannot be relied upon to score swift runs most of the times even in T20Is so I think Jitesh can be used the way RCB used Karthik.

The numbers 4,5,6,7 of Sky, Hardik, Jitesh and Jaddu/Axar looks formidable with Shaw/Ishan and Gill at the top and Virat at #3.

Obviously if Rishabh is fit, he walks in to replace Jitesh and bats at #4 or #5.
I thought Rohit was still the captain?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
What are the thoughts regarding Sanju as T20 captain? So far I've only seen positivity from him at Rajasthan. Pretty sure he can translate that when he transitions into Team India as well.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
What are the thoughts regarding Sanju as T20 captain? So far I've only seen positivity from him at Rajasthan. Pretty sure he can translate that when he transitions into Team India as well.

As @asprin said, Sanju needs to get into the team first. There is clear favoritism towards players that is a huge hurdle for Sanju to cross. KL Rahul has Rahul Dravid, Ishan Kishan and Suryakumar Yadav have Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill has Jay Shah (the Gujarat Titans connection). It's going to be tough for Sanju unless he gets a major backer thats influential within Indian cricket circles. And now that Sanju is doing well for Rajasthan while Hardik is fast rising to be next captain in all formats, expect more efforts to sideline Sanju to ensure that he does not arise to be a competition for Hardik's captaincy (I like Hardik the captain, but I dont like monopolies)

Bevab

Staff Member
Looks like all you need to do for an Indian call-up is to have a career revival at CSK. Worked for Raina and Rayudu before.

Users who are viewing this thread