Politics Discussion (India)

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I have been re-reading the SC verdict on Maharashtra. Can someone point out why they arent pulling up BS koshyari- the ex-governor who was at the centre of all this? He has acted in a completely deplorable and biased manner. Just cause he is no longer the Governor, shouldn't absolve him of his crimes against the legislature and judiciary.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Massive loss for the BJP. Very much on expected lines. Modi-Shah tour might have added a few more seats. However,it is very clear that the public has lost confidence at the state level.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Seems like all of the support I saw on the ground was paid for and arranged by the looks of it! South India is now BJP free in a sense.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Congress regressing as usual. Don't understand why the Congress President Kharge cannot take the call on who among DK Shiva Kumar/ Siddaramaiah needs to be CM?

Why are both CM hopefuls heading to Delhi to meet Madame Gandhi?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Seems like all of the support I saw on the ground was paid for and arranged by the looks of it! South India is now BJP free in a sense.

My observations on why they lost Karnataka:

1. BJP is heavily invested into the Hindutva principle- this works at the national level, with their attacks and offensive vs Pakistan/China. However, this does not work at the state level. For a local voter, he is hardly bothered over whether they would construct temples and ban beef or not. The latter would be a huge matter in Kerala.
2. Infrastructure- Modi's visit highlighted the fact that BJP worked on infra projects in Karnataka. What one needs to understand is these are undertaken by the Ministry of Surface Transport and NHAI. The local authority have no say so on this matter. Infact, if the state electric/ water supply division needs to carry out maintenance and break off a section of the said road, they need permission from the NHAI.
3. State level issues have always been different than national ones. As a voter, it is possible to have differing thoughts on who should be in charge of the country and state.
4. BJP has worked from a national POV- yes, largely,much more than what Congress did from 2004-2014. However, BJP has ignored state sentiments every where. It works for them in the belts of Uttar Pradesh cause people out there care more about caste and other similar aspects. In a state like Karnataka, the issue are much more compounded and should have been handled with more care.
5. Karnataka, since the early 2000s has always been a swinging state. The anti-incumbency factor is quite prominent here. Post 2004, Kumaraswamy, Yeddiyurappa nd Siddaramaih have all been playing musical chairs( there have been others as well-but these are prominent)
6. BJP never let one leader take centre stage. Gowda, Yeddyurappa, Shettar and Bommai- so many CMs in the last few years. They need local leaders. Else, how will the public resonate with someone.

Final Say:
BJP will lose Maharashtra as well. The above pointers bode well for Maharashtra too. I'd make one more addition - in terms of development, they have ignored Mumbai and Pune. Instead, their area of focus has largely been Vidarbha and Nagpur. This will backfire.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Congress regressing as usual. Don't understand why the Congress President Kharge cannot take the call on who among DK Shiva Kumar/ Siddaramaiah needs to be CM?

Why are both CM hopefuls heading to Delhi to meet Madame Gandhi?
My views on this (considering historic events):

1. Siddaramaiah is a solid administrator and has a huge fan base and support from majority MLAs.
2. DKS is skilled with organisation of the party at ground level.
3. Siddaramaiah is Rahul Gandhi Favourite.
4. DKS is Sonia Gandhi favourite.

Siddaramaiah and DKS were asked to meet the high command in Delhi. Just like Sachin Pilot vs Gehlot - Rajasthan, Scindia vs Kamal Nath - MP, Singh Deo vs Bhagel - Chattisgarh.

These are just recent examples where there were 2 strong candidates for CM post and local leaders were not able to decide on one. They left it to high command by passing resolution and giving full authority to pick the CM. The same has happened in Karnataka too, elected MLAs have passed a resolution giving full authority to High command. Hence both of them were called up and were asked to meet the high command in Delhi.

Siddaramaiah will most likely be picked, other option is 2.5 yrs each for both the leaders but sources say that DKS is not willing to share the tenure.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Siddaramaiah will probably be picked. However,this is bound to create a bit of in fighting. The Congress needs to veer towards younger persons. Not saying that DKS is any younger, however when you look at the trends in Rajasthan and MP,it is clear that the younger leader would get sidelined.

As for the split term, not sure if they will agree to it. My view, although Siddaramaiah is a seasoned leader, he ought to make way for DKS. At 75, I'd rather he sits pretty instead of leading.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Siddaramaiah will probably be picked. However,this is bound to create a bit of in fighting. The Congress needs to veer towards younger persons. Not saying that DKS is any younger, however when you look at the trends in Rajasthan and MP,it is clear that the younger leader would get sidelined.

As for the split term, not sure if they will agree to it. My view, although Siddaramaiah is a seasoned leader, he ought to make way for DKS. At 75, I'd rather he sits pretty instead of leading.
Local news reported that Siddaramaiah pitched the idea of split term with Siddaramaiah leading first term and he will pass on the leadership to DKS after 2.5 years and would make way for others.

However, DKS rejected that offer and wants full 5 yrs to himself. And since no decision was reached in first CLP meeting, decision was left to High command to take.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
J&K was dissolved as a State. Instead you have 2 separate Union Territories. Hence, you will find no more elections. Rather the Centre will appoint Governor LT General's/or similar to manage the administration.
Goa is a Union Territory too, but elections happen there?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Goa is not UT. Goa is a state.
J&K was dissolved as a State. Instead you have 2 separate Union Territories. Hence, you will find no more elections. Rather the Centre will appoint Governor LT General's/or similar to manage the administration.
Apologies, got my facts mixed up.
Delhi is a Union Territory though, and it has elections?
Also, there was this whole constituency delimitation process for the legislative elections in Jammu and Kashmir recently, and some Kashmiri leaders protested at the Election Commission due to the delay of elections. So clearly elections were planned to be held

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Apologies, got my facts mixed up.
Delhi is a Union Territory though, and it has elections?
Also, there was this whole constituency delimitation process for the legislative elections in Jammu and Kashmir recently, and some Kashmiri leaders protested at the Election Commission due to the delay of elections. So clearly elections were planned to be held
Actually the elections are held in union territory, in one of the UT Pondicherry, elections are held. So there is no restriction or limitations of holding elections in UT in India.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Actually the elections are held in union territory, in one of the UT Pondicherry, elections are held. So there is no restriction or limitations of holding elections in UT in India.
Do you know any reason for them not being held in J&K?

Users who are viewing this thread