Indian Premier League - General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
What a dimwitted tweet.

'dEmoCraTizeD'.

The willful ignorance of the IPL, and more importantly the BCCI isolating Pakistan every way possible has been widely accepted by everyone it seems. But to say they dEmoCraTizeD cricket has got to be the most ignorant, head-in-the-ass take I've seen in from a journalist of any prominence in a very long time. The BCCI doesn't have to acknowledge anything Pakistan related, but where was this praise for Lahore Qalandars when they went back-to-back with the same Afghani, a Zimbabwean and a Namibian in their team?
:laughter:
The likes of Tim David, Rashid Khan, Noor Ahmad and Josh Little were picked in other leagues before IPL franchises noticed them
Fair criticism, yes most of these players have been spotted elsewhere first. But the more broader point; that franchise cricket has given the chance for players from outside of the 'established' test nations to flourish and shine at higher standards of competition and earn a living beyond what they could playing international cricket, is true. Even in India and Pakistan there are players that have probably had opportunities, that they may have missed given the rigidity of a lot of the traditional pathways, because of franchise cricket. Additionally, because of the narrow vision of international cricket, the newer, less established countries have often been stifled because of the bigger boards.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
Fair criticism, yes most of these players have been spotted elsewhere first. But the more broader point; that franchise cricket has given the chance for players from outside of the 'established' test nations to flourish and shine at higher standards of competition and earn a living beyond what they could playing international cricket, is true. Even in India and Pakistan there are players that have probably had opportunities, that they may have missed given the rigidity of a lot of the traditional pathways, because of franchise cricket. Additionally, because of the narrow vision of international cricket, the newer, less established countries have often been stifled because of the bigger boards.
Not my point.

How can you, as a journalist, earnestly say the IPL (putting aside other franchise leagues) has democratized cricket when players from one of the biggest cricketing nations have an unspoken ban on them?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
All true, but it was true way before Gujarat Titans reached this IPL's final.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Not my point.

How can you, as a journalist, earnestly say the IPL (putting aside other franchise leagues) has democratized cricket when players from one of the biggest cricketing nations have an unspoken ban on them?
Democratised might be the wrong word. I'd say it's (franchise cricket) brought about more meritocracy.

I don't have any disagreement regarding players Pakistan. I'm sure I've said before that the IPL will never reach its full potential when some of the best players are excluded for non-sporting reasons. Seeing Shaheen storming in with the ball in the IPL would be awesome and it'll be a a great shame if it never happens.

B

Bigby Wolf

Well democratization of the game already happened in the very first IPL itself when a certain Zimbabwe called Tatenda Taibu played alongside Indians and Pakistanis.

So technically yeah he is correct what followed a year later with political shit and the scenarios post 26/11 leads to a saf story.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
Democratised might be the wrong word. I'd say it's (franchise cricket) brought about more meritocracy.
His entire point falls apart if you take away the word democratized. If he had said it's brought more meritocracy, there wouldn't be a single reason for me to comment on it. If he said it's provided more financial stability to cricketers, I'd say 'like never before'. But saying what he's said only reaffirms my belief that to the outsiders of this India-Pakistan conflict, Pakistan does not exist, let alone matters.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
Well democratization of the game already happened in the very first IPL itself when a certain Zimbabwe called Tatenda Taibu played alongside Indians and Pakistanis.
How is that any different than Wasim Akram playing for Lancashire alongside Gehan Mendis and Neil Fairbrother? How is that a credit to the IPL?

B

Bigby Wolf

How is that any different than Wasim Akram playing for Lancashire alongside Gehan Mendis and Neil Fairbrother? How is that a credit to the IPL?
He is specifically talking about franchise cricket especially T20 cricket.

And if you talk about franchise cricket its all money making and providing the financial stability for the players which the IPL was the first do.

Look there is no denying the ugly side of the IPL but you got the point more on the ignorance of the Pakistani players which is right but given country's political impact since 2008 don't the situation is gonna improve in nearby future.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
He is specifically talking about franchise cricket especially T20 cricket.
He didn't say franchise cricket or T20 cricket, he said they [the leagues] have democratized the game.

And if you talk about franchise cricket its all money making and providing the financial stability for the players which the IPL was the first do.
Opportunities? Yes. Financial stability? Yes. I literally said as much in my second last post.

And that's my point exactly; the whole 'democratized the game' thing does not/can not apply to the IPL because it's just stupid and illogical when Pakistani are sitting on the sidelines, and when County Championship existed for a whole century before the IPL was even a thought.

God forbid someone speak up about something legitimately wrong or stupid.

B

Bigby Wolf

He didn't say franchise cricket or T20 cricket, he said they [the leagues] have democratized the game.

Opportunities? Yes. Financial stability? Yes. I literally said as much in my second last post.

And that's my point exactly; the whole 'democratized the game' thing does not/can not apply to the IPL because it's just stupid and illogical when Pakistani are sitting on the sidelines, and when County Championship existed for a whole century before the IPL was even a thought.

God forbid someone speak up about something legitimately wrong or stupid.
Man the first half of it's tweet has IPL and FRANCHISE Cricket written over further emphasized on the how it has democratized the game.

with 2 Afghans and one Irish player in their XI shows the best of the IPL, and franchise cricket: how it has democratised the game and provided opportunities that the international game rarely has.

Again the point he is making is correct in what he is saying the IPL was the first of the franchise based t20 cricket league with lot of money cashing eyeballs.

And Pakistani players did feature in the inaugural edition.

And I said in previous post democratization has already happened when Taibu and Shoaib played for KKR.

This whole point is about T20 cricket and Franchise based leagues so the bloke is absolutely right in what he is a saying, IPL has been doing it since the first edition.

Regarding Pakistani players exclusion I have said it before in my two 2 posts before its a sad unfortunate event for cricket lovers across the globe.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
Man the first half of it's tweet has IPL and FRANCHISE Cricket written over further emphasized on the how it has democratized the game.

Again the point he is making is correct in what he is saying the IPL was the first of the franchise based t20 cricket league with lot of money cashing eyeballs.

And Pakistani players did feature in the inaugural edition.

And I said in previous post democratization has already happened when Taibu and Shoaib played for KKR.

This whole point is about T20 cricket and Franchise based leagues so the bloke is absolutely right in what he is a saying, IPL has been doing it since the first edition.

Regarding Pakistani players exclusion I have said it before in my two 2 posts before its a sad unfortunate event for cricket lovers across the globe.
Tu theek keh raha hai shehzade, khush reh. :thumbs
You’re right, buddy, stay happy.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Democracy 'was' there in the IPL before, it's not there now, whether due to ban or the owners preferring players from a selective nations.

Democracy is not the one-time ultimate status once it's achieved. It can turn into something else too. Not like 'I got education one time in my childhood, so I'm educated for life'. It's more like countries turning from a democracy to military regime through a coup.'

I know I got into more technicality, but I'm fine to call IPL WAS once a democratized cricket event but not anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread