Zimbabwe in South Africa

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Zimbabwe batted well. THats a big score for them.

418, haha. Musta been a belter of a pitch. Dropped 6 times? Are you joking? That is absolutly ridiculous lol.

-> Is 15 sixes in an innings a record. I must check it out

Couldn't find it, damn. I did find out that Boucher was 1 six away from equalling Afridi and Jaysuria's 11 sixes in an ODI. Those two deserve to keep it.

Hariz

International Cricketer
Z?mbabwe certainly batted well to get to 247/4 but the target was simply too much for them. I have been impressed by this Zimbabwe side. They do not give in that easily and will grow into good players as time passes.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
This is ridiculous to count matches like against Zimbabwe and the Netherlands as ODI's. They're just making a fool of the records that the Test nations created in these ODI's with a lot of hard work.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
ZexyZahid said:
This is ridiculous to count matches like against Zimbabwe and the Netherlands as ODI's. They're just making a fool of the records that the Test nations created in these ODI's with a lot of hard work.
Zimbabwe are a full member of the ICC, and The Netherlands came in the top five of a tournament structure involving dozens of teams. They deserved their ODI status. I'll point out that the 2nd and third highest scores were against test teams, and that out of the 22 scores of above 350, only three came against non test teams. Out of the 15 individual scores above 170, only four are against non test teams. Out of the seven bowling performances where the bowler took 7 wickets or more, only one is against a non-test nation.

Saying that the non test teams are skewing the records just isn't true.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
I agree the Holland record is a joke, but Zimbabwe are full team as nixon said and they have players who have been playing quite a few ODI's themselves so have experience. And Zimbabwe will start playing tests again soon showing they are surely capable..

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
ZexyZahid said:
Since all the teams get the chance to play against Zim and Ned, I dont see whats the problem with it.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
ZexyZahid said:

It is no doubt stupid,but consider if it happens the other way round

1996 World Cup - WI v Kenya
1999 World Cup - Pak v Ban
2003 World Cup - WI v Can - John Davison.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
m_vaughan said:
Since all the teams get the chance to play against Zim and Ned, I dont see whats the problem with it.
The problem is that a 443 against Netherlands is rated higher than a 438 against Australia. Quite a difference, if I may say so myself.

EDIT: Added exact scores. To be honest, though, the people who actually care about such stats will do their own digging and be happy.

irottev

School Cricketer
Well, to be honest. Mick Lewis is a Netherlands grade bowler anyway so there isn't much difference.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
irottev said:
Well, to be honest. Mick Lewis is a Netherlands grade bowler anyway so there isn't much difference.
Haha.

I think as long as this is flash in the pan sort of stuff, it's okay. Though the performances will not be held as highly in regard when the opponents are being looked at. Indeed, most statisticians will probably single out "highest team totals against a full member of the ICC" or something like that.

If we see this happening more and more in the future, it'll prove that the ICC are really not getting their development done.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
All I am saying is that every team will get their chance to play against the minnows. But not every team will score 400+. So give credit where its due. South Africa have done well to score more than 400 on two different occassions even though the second time its against the Netherlands.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
m_vaughan said:
All I am saying is that every team will get their chance to play against the minnows. But not every team will score 400+. So give credit where its due. South Africa have done well to score more than 400 on two different occassions even though the second time its against the Netherlands.

You mean against Zimbabwe. SL scored 400+ against the Netherlands.

Users who are viewing this thread