Zimbabwe lose another player...

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Originally Posted by
anakwalajinn
Why not give test status to Ireland?

They wouldn't be able to compete with the best for over 5 days, and I doubt they have the depth in there country to produce brilliant players.

aussie1st Geez 22 and he retired from International cricket, that usually the starting age for guys to make the Aussie side.

Not even 22, that's only with the best young players, 22 is a sad age to haveto retire from international cricket.

LA ICE-E

Club Cricketer
Hooper said:
They wouldn't be able to compete with the best for over 5 days, and I doubt they have the depth in there country to produce brilliant players.
Ed Joyce? I don't think you know much about irish cricket. they have a ok/good infrastructure and are producing some quality players. The only sad part is that England will keep "stealing" these players until ireland gets test status and ireland wont get test status without these players. so its a sad cycle and so i think icc needs to do something about that.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Hooper said:
Which is why England have already stolen one of their players. Why England have their eye on two more of their players. Why more than a dozen Irish players are involved in county cricket. Why Ireland won the European Championship at every age group last year.

Nah, no depth at all.

offdriven4

Club Cricketer
The thing about ireland is that they don't really have the domestic competiton of even the likes of bangladesh and zimbabwe,sure they've done well recently but they need a domestic overhaul,before the icc will even consider giving them test status,kenya are more likely to achieve it before ireland,and what about china??

LA ICE-E

Club Cricketer
china? they are getting people to learn and know about cricket ...it about 20
-30 years away...kenya needs to keep improving, would have had a chance if they didn't have the board's problem...ireland right now plays in the english domestic league....for test status they need more home support meaning it has to be a major sport and also of course a good team but england needs to quit "stealing" and ireland needs to get a lot more money for domestic cricket etc

offdriven4

Club Cricketer
just putting it this way,china are investing so much into develping their cricket infrastructure,that you could half your 20-30 yrs estimate,remember when china turned they're eye towards olympic sports? they may aswell have turned a vacuum on the medals

Sureshot

Executive member
LA ICE-E said:
when the times right and they get a good infrastructure going with home support they will...

How was it a racial selecting when i see white players in both the teams?

No I know they do but was asking when did that happen though? Or was it always like this. I think other places like india and pakistan have government interventions over the games sometimes as well though...

It's racial selecting when South Africa say they want to have 7 'non-white' players in their world cup squad. As with Zimbabwe, it's quite obvious is it not?

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Sureshot said:
It's racial selecting when South Africa say they want to have 7 'non-white' players in their world cup squad. As with Zimbabwe, it's quite obvious is it not?
Yeah, the quota system isn't a very good fix to the situation IMO. I'm sure there are other ways to attract more blacks/coloreds to the game in South Africa.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Sureshot said:
Did you know the average age of a cricketer when he retires (36/37) is the same life expectancy for a Zimbabwean man? 34 for women.
In case you're wondering, this doesn't mean people are considered to be really old when they are forty or fifty. It is because of the AIDS epidemic in Africa. Many children and young people contract HIV, which means the average life expectancy falls a lot.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
this might be a blessing in disguise for Zimbabwe. with him going to play county cricket hes gona get allot of experience and play cricket full time so he is going to improve allot, and with the political situation in Zimbabwe Mugabes days might be numbered and cricket might turn for better in a few years.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Ireland has a lot of potential. Say he works hard enough, by the time he is 26-27, he will be at his peak, and be eligible for England. Could be great for him.

Sureshot

Executive member
angryangy said:
In case you're wondering, this doesn't mean people are considered to be really old when they are forty or fifty. It is because of the AIDS epidemic in Africa. Many children and young people contract HIV, which means the average life expectancy falls a lot.

I know that, also doesn't help with the mass inflation levels which makes things very expensive, 80% unemployment also means that very few have the money anyway to buy those expensive goods.

offdriven, why are Cricinfo descrbing him as an all rounder when he averages 3 in ODIs and 3 in FC cricket?

Users who are viewing this thread