Kookaburra vs Duke and SG Cricket balls

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
There are two types of bowls that are being used in cricket world. The most famous one of course is Kookaburra and there are Duke bowls used in England and SG cricket balls used in India.
Kookaburra has a very low seam which generally holds true for 20 overs and then dies after that. If you are a bowler then its not a good news that seam is not pronounced on the bowl. Whereas in Duke and SG cricket balls the seam remains pronounced even till 50-55 overs if proper care is taken.
The question im trying to put forward is that with so much advantage going in favour of batsmen would you like to bowl with Kookaburra or Duke or SG balls.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Personally I think as a bowler I would prefer Dukes balls and as a batsmen I would prefer SG Balls. judging from recent series...

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I am a quick bowler, so obviously I prefer the Kookuburra.
Dukes are okay, but I like batting against the SG and Kookuburras more.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I am a quick bowler, so obviously I prefer the Kookuburra.
Dukes are okay, but I like batting against the SG and Kookuburras more.

Kookaburra only offers reverse swing for quick bowlers otherwise its of no use.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
IMO the SG balls swing for a max of 5 overs whereas the Dukes balls swing for about 20 overs, making the Dukes most favourable for bowlers...and the SG most favourable for batsmen, and TBH I've never seen a Kookaburra action live.

jordox

International Cricketer
Yeah, the Dukes seem to be bat busters really.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Personally, I wouldn't want to see everyone using the same ball. Coping with different balls is part of touring a bit like coping with different pitch conditions.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
IMO the SG balls swing for a max of 5 overs whereas the Dukes balls swing for about 20 overs, making the Dukes most favourable for bowlers...and the SG most favourable for batsmen, and TBH I've never seen a Kookaburra action live.

Well Kookaburra actually are best if you are batsman as it stops swinging after few overs. For evidence watch Australia series.
SG and Duke balls swing for more time and certainly not for 5 overs. Like Wasim Akram said On Air yesterday that Pakistan could keep that ball in good condition till 80 overs also.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see everyone using the same ball. Coping with different balls is part of touring a bit like coping with different pitch conditions.

True. Pakistan should also go back to Duke balls because on dead flat tracks Kookaburra spells doom.

Last edited:

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I have heard commentators say that SG has a more pronounced seam than the Kookaboora. Can anybody confirm this?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I have heard commentators say that SG has a more pronounced seam than the Kookaboora. Can anybody confirm this?

New and old (21 overs) Kukkaburra bowls

new_old_kookaburra.jpg

Brand New Duke and SG Bowl will look like this

cricket_ball.jpg

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3