11th Match, Group B: Eagles v Sussex at Delhi

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
After NSW convincing beat both sides in today's contest, the match won't have the messy net run rate coming into calculation. It's a simple equation for these two sides should rain stay away, win and you are in; lose and you're gone.

Watch out for:

Dwayne Smith v Thandi Tshabalala: Smith had blasted a 26-ball half-century to help Sussex lift their first Twenty20 Cup and could be a dangerous proposition for the rookie Tshabalala, who already got stick after being wayward the other day against the Australian youngster Moises Henriques, who thrashed him for 15 runs in five balls.

Riley Rossouw v Yasir Arafat: Rossouw turned 20 last week and is one for the future for South Africa. The left-hander goes for his shots and he could have an interesting tussle with Arafat, a skiddy customer who maintains a wicket-to-wicket line.

Ryan McLaren v Piyush Chawla: McLaren, though an unorthodox batsman, is not shy to step out as he did against in the very first over of the New South Wales legspinner Steve Smith, thumping a six and four. Chawla had recently said that he would attack the batsmen even at the expense of going for runs so this contest could get engrossing if players stick to their guns.

Sussex hold aces in survival clash | Cricket News | Champions League Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Online Cricket Games Owned
I hope so too!

Boeta Dippenaar (captain), Dean Elgar, Alan Kruger, Morn? van Wyk, Victor Mpitsang, Rilee Rossouw, Adrian McLaren, Ryan McLaren, Dillon du Preez, Thandi Tshabalala, CJ de Villiers, Ryan Bailey, Shadley van Schalkwyk.

Same 13 man squad named.

My 11 would be as follows.

1. Dippenaar
2. Rossouw
3. van Wyk
4. A McLaren
5. Elgar
6. Bailey
7. R McLaren
8. du Preez
9. de Villiers
10. Mpitsang/ van Schalkwyk
11.Tshabalala

I find it tough to order that line-up, A McLaren can be explosive but is hit and miss, so it's either a big score or no score generally. Boeta has to open to try and bat through the innings and let the others blast around him otherwise he's under pressure to hit the big ones. Lastly, R McLaren and du Preez can hit the ball a long way if needs be. I just hope CJ de Villiers plays, he's a brilliant bowler and one for the future. I'm undecided on Mpitsang and van Schalkwyk though, the one has experience while the other has something like 7 different slower balls, but I think he's yet to show his best.

Should be a good game as it's a must win for both teams and considering how easily NSW beat both, it should be quite evenly matched.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Sussex's batting looks a lot stronger today, even without Goodwin, I'm backing them to win, especially after winning the toss.

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Both team have lost to NSW and have managed to get all out within 90 runs when chasing a cheap total.

87/5 in 16 overs !

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's a big chase on that pitch, but they are 30% of the way through it, from 25% of the overs, for the loss of 0% of the wickets.

angryangy added 0 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

The layman might call it "a good start"

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Eagles should win now. Only Chawla can save Sussex.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Super over time! The Eagles only got to the final of the Pro20 series via one, so they know what it's about, they also practised one against Delhi in a warm-up game and came trumps there. Luke Wright will be the key for Sussex, hopefully McLaren bowls it.

Must say, that's Rilee's best 20/20 innings ever, pity he fluffed it at the end. I was waiting for him to step it up after being the Eagle's best batsman in the MTN series.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Super over. :eek:
How did Eagles blew this one. :laugh

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Woooooo!

Thought Rilee stuffed up the super over, and I was hoping/expecting McLaren to bowl it, when I saw it was de Villiers I thought he wouldn't be calm enough, but hey, two wickets to kill it off in two balls. I'll make sure to give him a pat on the back if I bump into him at the gym.

Params7

International Cricketer
Pretty good crowd turnup...lot of noise in the stadiums and plenty of Indians showed up for this neutral game (a lot better than non-Ind/Pak/SA games in SA).

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looks like these two teams were about par for each other. I expected one of the English sides to make it through but congrats to both SA sides on going through to the next stage. Hard to see the Eagles challenging the other sides though.

Raj_Aryan

Club Cricketer
It was really a good game,close one, now Eagles are through to second round! The second round will be interesting and hopefully more gripping...

Users who are viewing this thread