14th Match, Group E: New Zealand v South Africa at Bridgetown

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
SA starting to fill in the gaps, just need JP to produce and their batting is complete. Steyn and Morne are proving major barriers to overcome in the bowling.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
They certainly do have a quality bowling line-up.
Now that the batting is starting to fire, They're definitely one of the best all-round teams. I wont be surprised if SA go all the way and win!

irottev

School Cricketer
^ Our bowling is our strength. The batting is too inconsistent.

Brendon mccullum is the best t20 player, but he has Played the worst in the t20 cup so far according to Rahul. Does this clear things up? Rahuls statement was extremely ambiguous.

Exactly. Thank you!

The way his statement reads is that of all the players in the T20 WC - McCullum is the worst. I can see what he's meaning now and that's that of all players in the WC he's PERFORMING the worst. Not that he's the worst player. And as i've stated, some players have been playing even worse than him but that's irrelevant. We're only 3 games in and one of them was washed out while McCullum was still batting so he's being rated on 2 bats which seems unfair given the nature of T20 cricket.

Oh and i'm not blowing McCullum's trumpet for the sake of it. I'm freely willing to admit that he's not OMG AMAZING!!! but everyone says he's so over-rated yet I don't see anyone rating him in anyway above how good he actually is. In T20 cricket when it comes to the NZ side there are a few key batsmen which are obviously the dangermen. McCullum is at the top of that list. He's better than Taylor who gets raved about even more than McCullum from what i've seen. He scores all these runs in domestic, IPL, Big Bash etc. and doesn't front up in IT20. B McCullum does. He scores hundreds and fifties regularly at good strike rates.

I'll say it again, the fact that a hack like McCullum could even be considered one of the "best" players proves what bullshit format Twenty20 is.

I'm growing tired of your trolling pom. How about you go and be a miserable prick elsewhere. If you don't like T20 then GTFO

Last edited:

TumTum

International Cricketer
but everyone says he's so over-rated yet I don't see anyone rating him in anyway above how good he actually is.

It is widely acknowledged that Gayle and McCullum are the best T20 players.

But Gayle performs better in international tournaments than McCullum does, that's why people say he is over-rated.

irottev

School Cricketer
I happen to think that Gayle is a better player than McCullum in all forms of the game.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
But Gayle performs better in international tournaments than McCullum does, that's why people say he is over-rated.
Gayle performs better, so that makes McCullum over-rated :confused: Pretty unrelated

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
To all McCullum haters, he is so highly rated in T20s for a reason. He is damn good at them. In 86 T20 innings he has scored 2410 runs at an average of 33. That is just amazing after 86 innings. He has maintained a strike rate of 140 and has flinging 3 centuries to his name.

If the reason is because you think he might be a good player in T20s, but completely useless in ODIs and Tests, you are wrong yet again. In the last year, McCullum has become a much more accomplished batsman. He has become more consistent and dependable player in a batting line up that has very few batsmen with those much sought after qualities.

In test matches, in the last 12 months, he has scored 640 runs averaging 46 with 2 centuries and 3 fifties in 15 innings.

In ODIs, in the last 12 months, he has scored 582 runs averaging 32.

Both of them are better than this career average.

What he does in tests is all fine and great but we are talking about 20/20s and all that he is doing great in tests and ODIs is completely useless. There hasn't been one 20/20 World Cup that he has performed well in, including this one so far. He averaged 27 in the first one and 21 (I think) in the one in England.
Nobody even mentioned test cricket so there is no need for that and I don't think anybody said anything about his test stats or performances.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
I still don't get how it makes McCullum over-rated.
It may make him a worse batsman but not over-rated.

TumTum

International Cricketer
So what's your definition of "overrated"?

I can't understand how I could have been any clearer.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
It is widely acknowledged that Gayle and McCullum are the best T20 players.
Right, understood.

Really? is that the reason? Gayle performs better than McCullum so McCullum is over-rated? Another persons performance (Gayle) doesn't determine why another person is over-rated (McCullum)
That's my point. :) (I'm not just trying to be an ███████ BTW) :laugh

TumTum

International Cricketer
(I'm not just trying to be an ███████ BTW) :laugh

You sure? :p

TumTum added 4 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

I get what you're saying now, but my point was that most people hold McCullum in the same class as Gayle when T20 is concerned. But really they shouldn't be.

Users who are viewing this thread