14th Match, League A: Eagles v Somerset at Hyderabad

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Watch out for...

CJ de Villiers took two wickets in two balls as the Eagles beat Sussex on a Super Over at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium on Tuesday. The Eagles scored nine in their over, after which de Villiers held his nerve to bowl Dwayne Smith and Rory Hamilton-Brown in successive deliveries. Those two strikes ensured de Villiers took the limelight, but he had played a crucial role earlier in the afternoon, taking 2 for 20 to keep Sussex to 119.

Rilee Rossouw is talked about as one to watch out for in South African cricket, but until Tuesday fans in the subcontinent may have been wondering what the heck for. Rossouw's previous highest score in eight Twenty20 matches was just 11. But the 20-year-old opener took an opportune moment to showcase his skills, with Eagles needing to win to progress: he slammed 65 off 62 balls, with six fours and two sixes, picking up the Man-of-the-Match award. No doubt spurred on by that blaze of glory, Roussow now takes guard needing to provide further sparks to keep Eagles going.

After Somerset lost in Bangalore, their captain Justin Langer praised a "brilliant" Trinidad & Tobago and hoped they would dish out similar treatment to Deccan. They did, and Langer now has a chance to make an impression. In two matches he has failed to contribute as opener, but with the pressure turned up you can often rely on an Australian to deliver. Langer is a champion, and champions make the difference between winning and losing.

Craig Keiswetter's sporting hero is his fellow team-mate Marcus Trescothick, but with the former England opener not clicking so far, Somerset need runs from their wicketkeeper. Kieswetter, who has been tipped by many to be one of the emerging talents from the tournament, can hit a long ball and has turned a few matches Somerset's way in Twenty20s back home. With the stakes raised in the league stage and Somerset's top order not firing, the time has come for Kieswetter to deliver.

Eagles and Somerset battle for leverage | Cricket News | Champions League Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I hope we put Kieswetter up to opening to replace Trescothick. He can be as effective as Tresco and if he gets going we could post/chase a score of over 180.

ajdude

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
De Villiers is doing very nicely, 3/3 from 2 overs.

Did I just hear what I thought I heard on the stump mic?

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Another poor batting performance, this is so unlike us. Tough ask to win the next two games but we aren't out of it. Really need to see the batsmen hit some form collectively though.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Especially tough ask when we only have one game left. ;)

Langer simply isn't good enough anymore, so we need luck for De Bruyn and Kieswetter to really get going in order to get a really competitive score. Great to see a couple of local lads in Durston and Hildreth doing well today.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Somerset will find hard beating other 2 sides. Its bye bye for them.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Eagles have come back well since we beat them. Somerset have struggled to fire, Langer has been disappointing I expected more from him.

Users who are viewing this thread