1st Match, Group B: Mumbai v Lions at Johannesburg

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
When a bowler isn't fit, he isn't good.
Our world cup excpectation will be lowered much if Zaheer won't stay fit, and an unfit bowler especially seam bowler can't take you home.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
For Zaheer, I think he needs bit more time to get 100% fit gamewise. If I am not wrong, he is back from shoulder injury right? Hopefully, he gets his form back in another couple of games. Indian team badly need him.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
yeah, he's back from a injury, was looking exhasted all day and far from his best.
His last over probably cost MI the match.

Also Sachin's captaincy is sick, Pollard should bat at 3/4, while Dhawan and Tendu to stay at crease for atleast first 5 overs. MI is not using Pollard rightly. Every time sachin lefts him to do so much.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
no pollard is perfect where he is. if he comes in too high, he starts blocking and he has difficulty facing a newer ball, and when he blocks he gets out. Even T&T dont bat pollard any higher than 6 unless they're in need of quick runs.

TumTum

International Cricketer
In the ODI series here, WI were heavily criticized for not batting Pollard higher up in the order. But WI don't have as good batsmen as MI do, so I would also keep Pollard where he is, or let him open with Sachin (but then you lose the right-left hand combination).

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Pollard to open is a good idea, but then if he fails the pressure will be immense that's why I'd have him at 3/4. Because in case of MI, he's always left with too much to do and if he fails, the defeat is sure.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
Pollard is fine in the order where he is now. Unless situation demands him, he need to be preserved. Yesterdays conditions were perfect for batting, & like i mentioned before, had MI fielded with quality, it would have been a separate story.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
^Had Sachin captained with a bit of mind, MI would've won it.

Though now their chances will be hurt because Lions were probably the easiest team in the group.
Two tough matches ahead for MI. Now I think they have to win all 3 remaining to completely secure a place in semis.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
I heard Harsha or someone mentioning that, these Lions surprised everyone in domestic circuit as well. We can expect somemore from them in CL as well. ;)

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I don't think 5 is too low as a general rule, but the timing is more important than the order. If a player is your trump card, you should give him a chance to exact damage. Teams shouldn't have players whose job is just to fill the gap between the openers and the lower-middle order (unfortunately, many seem to).

Pollard has predominantly needed 5 to 10 overs to develop a score of 30 or greater. His ability to produce a flurry of boundaries does mean he can be useful to 'pinch hit', but strike hogging becomes a crucial factor. None of his 50s have come from entering the innings later than the 14th over and his two highest scores of 83 and 89 came from starting as early as the Powerplay.

For this game, logic suggests that maybe Pollard could have come in 2nd drop if it was important that he produce a big score. However, it's equally arguable that JP Duminy should be given every chance to make a big score as well.

Nevertheless, the biggest problem for Mumbai was with the ball and in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread