1st Semi-Final: England v Sri Lanka at Gros Islet

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Massive wicket. Excellent spin bowling from Swann and Yardy, I think we've found our new spin partnership in limited overs cricket. Could keep them under 120 here.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Damn 3 down. SLers in trouble.

OH ████ 4th down! everytime i come in

War

Chairman of Selectors
I still don't think that your player comparison proves that they were better especially when you think that Craig White is better than Bresnan currently is. White had a pitful average of 15 with the bat and his bowling figures although decent still don't make him better than Bresnan.

White's ODI figures didn't do him justice. But he clearly was a better player than Bresnan. That was the same White that was a major player when England won test series in Pakistan & Sri Lanka in the famous winter of 2000. Something that Bresnan can only dream of doing.

I'd also rate Collingwood ahead of Thorpe as Collingwood has managed to score multiple centuries on top of his brilliant fielding and decent right arm medium/off cutters. All this while basically having the same average.

Exactly. Thrope averaged the same as Colly at his current peak in ODIs never scoring a century. Imagined if he did get 4-5 centuries, his average would have been better. Thorpe sort of underachived as an ODI bat, while Colly probably is at his peak right now.

Regardless of all of that the point Colly was trying to make was that this team are more powerful as in they can all clear the boundary down to number 10.

So could the 2002 team as i recall.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
White's ODI figures didn't do him justice. But he clearly was a better player than Bresnan. That was the same White that was a major player when England won test series in Pakistan & Sri Lanka in the famous winter of 2000. Something that Bresnan can only dream of doing.

He clearly isn't. He is widely accepted as being one of the players who never achieved what they could have done. You can't polish over his average of 15. Nor is bringing two test series in a conversation about one day cricket a worthy arguement.

Exactly. Thrope averaged the same as Colly at his current peak in ODIs never scoring a century. Imagined if he did get 4-5 centuries, his average would have been better. Thorpe sort of underachived as an ODI bat, while Colly probably is at his peak right now.

I really fail to see your point. They had the same average but Colly has managed to score centuries, bowl decently and outfield Thorpe and you reason Thorpe being equal because if he had of managed to score some centuries his average would be better? The point is he couldn't.

So could the 2002 team as i recall.

Recall again. Only Flintoff, White and Threscothick were capable of hitting sixes regularly. While at least 9 in the current team are capable of doing that today.

Last edited:

Brook

Club Captain
Kapugedara's innings is dreadful; it's slow and filled with some terrible looking misses.

P

pcfan123

Wow, its going to be so weird to see England in a final :p

Come on Eng/Aus final!

hMarka added 2 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Lol Nasser trying to tell us that Broad is tough :p

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
meh, I said right at the start of this tournament sri lanka's squad a batsman short and unfortunatly I've been right.

The middle order as looked cagey, the top order has failed, jayasuriya's spot is untenable now, the middle order has been unable to play with any freedom as they know the tail comes up too quick.

They have Perera, a 20 year all-rounder at no 7, whereas australia has mike hussey, pretty obvious where the difference lies there.

Mathews is maturing into a great player though, I can see him being an important part of sri lanka's squad across all formats now. Gives them great options to play two spinners with his pace bowling. (though not 3, that was ludicrous in india)

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
I have a feeling Eng wont chase this. I hope the chase it though. Dont wanna see SL in the finals again. I just want a Eng v Aus final

MacLovin added 0 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

a 4 and a 6 will do it here

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
meh, I said right at the start of this tournament sri lanka's squad a batsman short and unfortunatly I've been right.

The middle order as looked cagey, the top order has failed, jayasuriya's spot is untenable now, the middle order has been unable to play with any freedom as they know the tail comes up too quick.

They have Perera, a 20 year all-rounder at no 7, whereas australia has mike hussey, pretty obvious where the difference lies there.

Mathews is maturing into a great player though, I can see him being an important part of sri lanka's squad across all formats now. Gives them great options to play two spinners with his pace bowling. (though not 3, that was ludicrous in india)

Problem for Sri Lanka is that they are losing a batsman by playing Jayasuriya. He needs to be dropped so that someone else can get a shot at playing and performing. In all formats.

P

pcfan123

So Mahela fails in all 3 pressure matches and Jayasuria should be in a retirement home

Users who are viewing this thread