IPL 27 May - Chennai Super Kings v Kolkata Knight Riders (The Final)

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Dhoni has once again exposed his captaincy problems when in tough situations. Just like in Australia when he looked clueless in Test matches, Dhoni showed signs of an increasingly inflexible approach - not enough innovation and going for bowlers who proved to be expensive in the end overs. Ben Hilfenhaus was always a wrong choice to bowl the end overs after his prior history in the tournament. :noway

Ultimately CSK failed due to their bowling. This year, the bowling was weaker and got exposed on several occasions. Jakati - far from impressive. Next time, Jakati should be given up for some other quality spinner, I think. We always lacked one quality wicket-taking bowler in every game.

Take nothing away from KKR though. Congrats to their batsmen who played a superb innings to take the crown away from chennai. :cheers

But did anybody else feel SRK acted like a clown after the victory, particularly in his interview? He has no grace in either victory or defeat.

I agree. CSK's bowling this year, especially our spinners have been mediocre and that has contributed to our ordinary show in the league. When Hilfenhaus came up with some good bowling performances, that's when we came back big time into the league and got into the playoffs and also we brushed aside MI and DD in the playoffs. We need to find a replacement for Jakati and that too an Indian spinner. Anyways Jakati is never considered for an Indian spot, so its time to try someone else. They should look into Aushik Srinivas from the Tamil Nadu team.

Dhoni's decisions look good when they work. When they don't, this is how he looks like. But there have been very few captains who have adapted and looked truly flexible over a long period of time. When their time is good, they look good. Ganguly was pretty similar.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I agree. CSK's bowling this year, especially our spinners have been mediocre and that has contributed to our ordinary show in the league. When Hilfenhaus came up with some good bowling performances, that's when we came back big time into the league and got into the playoffs and also we brushed aside MI and DD in the playoffs. We need to find a replacement for Jakati and that too an Indian spinner. Anyways Jakati is never considered for an Indian spot, so its time to try someone else. They should look into Aushik Srinivas from the Tamil Nadu team.

Dhoni's decisions look good when they work. When they don't, this is how he looks like. But there have been very few captains who have adapted and looked truly flexible over a long period of time. When their time is good, they look good. Ganguly was pretty similar.

I am not saying Dhoni is a bad captain. He is more a strategist than instinctive. He is what I call a "Plan A" captain. Never seems to have Plan B. Whenever his Plan A fails, he either sticks to it or makes bizarre random decisions. Usually his Plan As are good enough, but on the days when they aren't, he looks too inflexible to change it.

Of course, that is one reason why I feel Dhoni's captaincy in Test matches is poor. In Test matches, you get exposed quickly for not adapting to situations, because there is so many sessions of play. He also goes defensive all too quickly in the face of an onslaught by the opposition.

Sourav Ganguly at his prime, was better at adapting to situations and playing conditions. It's not for nothing that Sourav has been India's most successful overseas captain. He reads situations and conditions better. Of course, he didn't have as strong a team as Dhoni does, particularly in the bowling department.

Gautham Gambhir is more a leader than a strategist. I would say he could be a good Test captain for India, provided he fixes his technical batting issues in overseas conditions.

Last edited:

jacobfelix

International Coach
Wow...By winning this event, my vcash zooms past the 6 lakh mark....;)

But feeling sad that the IPL is over :noway We all were having such a nice 'timepass' over here....:p

Ok.Now have to make some donations as I promised...otherwise some members here will throw stones at me...:D

Aswin8

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Wow...By winning this event, my vcash zooms past the 6 lakh mark....;)

But feeling sad that the IPL is over :noway We all were having such a nice 'timepass' over here....:p

Ok.Now have to make some donations as I promised...otherwise some members here will throw stones at me...:D

Yeah,we are ready with some sticks and sh*t too. :p

Users who are viewing this thread