4th ODI: Australia v England at Adelaide

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
England (possible) 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Matt Prior (wk), 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Eoin Morgan, 7 Paul Collingwood, 8 James Tredwell, 9 Ajmal Shahzad, 10 Chris Tremlett, 11 James Anderson

Australia (probable) 1 Shane Watson, 2 Brad Haddin (wk), 3 Shaun Marsh, 4 Michael Clarke (capt), 5 Cameron White, 6 David Hussey, 7 Steve Smith, 8 John Hastings, 9 Brett Lee, 10 Xavier Doherty, 10 Doug Bollinger

Australia v England, 4th ODI: England fight to keep series alive | Cricket News | Australia v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Looks a much better English side if they go out like that. Wouldn't mind getting another look at Hastings and will be good seeing how Doherty goes in terms of consistency.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Anderson's comeback couldn't have come quicker for the English side. Sure there bowling was good in the second game but in the third, their batsmen weren't good enough.

I wouldn't be suprised if we went in with that line-up. Why not go in unchanged? However, do we know when Johnson will come back?

It would be great for Australia to secure the series with a win on Australia Day.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Australia's attacked looked lean and efficient last game, I'm not sure if I would hurry to get the faster men into the side. However, it would be sensible for them to rest Lee if they can secure the series win.

Anderson is a welcome inclusion for England, but he might find himself thrown into the kiln on a pitch that might offer slower bowlers better control. I foresee Collingwood again bowling a key spell.

Owzat

International Coach
England (possible) 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Matt Prior (wk), 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Eoin Morgan, 7 Paul Collingwood, 8 James Tredwell, 9 Ajmal Shahzad, 10 Chris Tremlett, 11 James Anderson

I really don't see England dumping Yardy any time soon, while some like myself might see his very limited benefits, he bowls tidily and can bat so fits the bits n pieces type the selectors love. I think I've come up with a class definition of "bits n pieces" btw, offers a bit of everything, delivers a lot of nothing :lol

STRAUSS - beginning to wonder about his predictable and ineffective captaincy. While some were banging on about us winning our previous four series, we've now lost five of our last six ODIs. Interestingly Strauss is averaging a whopping 65.90 from his last 11 ODI innings with two hundreds and no score under 19. BUT in his last six innings he has scored three fifties yet not one over 68. He needs to convert more fifties.

PRIOR - bigtime mistake in my opinion, if he is to play then play him down the order where his strength is.

TROTT - someone needs to have words and get him to accelerate more often than he does. I don't doubt he can score quickly, I think he just has his "zone" and perhaps his "zone" takes precedence over what the team needs

PIETERSEN - is he back now? Perhaps needs to reign in his over-confidence come arrogance a bit.

BELL - he can score big runs with big hits and quickly, needs to do it more.

MORGAN - have my doubts about him. Another top order player who isn't much use in bowling, not that I'd select a batsman for his bowling, but Strauss, KP, Bell, Morgan and Trott are all players who are not going to be good enough bowlers (or bowlers full-stop) in an ODI so that is one area we lose out to other (top) sides.

COLLINGWOOD - don't know if animosity towards him is for his Test form or something else. He is a top fielder, good bowling option who can do more than just "do a job" and averages mid 30s in ODIs so as much a "must pick" as we have. Hasn't scored a fifty for eight innings, HS 47 just two knocks ago. His SR isn't what it could be, but he's never been a big hitter - another achilles heel of the batting, too few score quickly enough (SRs in 70s not 80s or 90s)

TREDWELL - really should have played more ODIs before England decide to pick him for a World Cup. Yet to taken a wicket in ODIs, what a master plan England have. Concedes at 5.43 rpo, what an asset! Never a number eight btw, more chance Yardy will play if Tredwell is in line for that role.

SHAHZAD - only seven ODIs, but 13 wickets so looking good. Quite how he'll fit in when Anderson, Broad and Swann are available is hard to tell

TREMLETT - out of the picture for a while, now flavour of the month. Not in the squad for the World Cup so I'd be inclined to plan for that rather than vainly chase a seriously unlikely series win. His 14 wickets in ODI have been quite expensive, he isn't much of a bat for this form of cricket anyway.

ANDERSON - sadly seen as the mainstay of the England attack. Certainly has experience and wickets to his name (189 in 133 ODIs) but blows too hot and cold for my liking with as many 0/54, 0/75, 0/55, 1/66, 1/63 etc as match winning contributions. I would include him, but only because there ain't much better. That said, if it came to it and Shahzad continues his great start to ODIs, and Broad is fit, I might have a straight choice between Shahzad and Anderson - especially if pace is not going to play as big a part as spin.

As for this match specific, that line-up is weak down the order in terms of batting, even with a batsman at seven. Bowling should be ok, but I wouldn't pick Tredwell myself and it lacks a back-up option if Collingwood doesn't click. One reason I was really annoyed when Hick got dumped for good from the ODI side was he could bowl spin, these days our top order simply don't seem to have the same ability - except Collingwood who is not in good batting form. We don't have genuine and good enough all-rounders, we don't seem to have many bowling options in the batting so we're so far behind the opposition - as if where it is played won't count against us enough already. With T20s so prevalent, especially in domestic cricket, you'd think there'd be enough batsmen bowling that someone could make it in ODIs and cut it

Of course the Test side generally don't play enough domestic cricket these days to play much in the way of T20s. I'm sure Kent among others have players who could do as good a job in ODIs as some of our selections

Sureshot

Executive member
Agree with Owzat, think Yardy would play ahead of Tredwell, but he is in the WC squad so might as well. Not much difference in batting.

Colly as 5th bowler? I think we have to with how the batting has been.

You mention Shahzad, he gets in ahead of Bresnan for me at the WC. Broad at 8, Swann at 9.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
On recent form, Collingwood for sure. He's as tidy as any of the fringe options, in fact he's probably one of the tidiest of all England's options, but he also has enough craft to get a few wickets.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I really don't see England dumping Yardy any time soon, while some like myself might see his very limited benefits, he bowls tidily and can bat so fits the bits n pieces type the selectors love. I think I've come up with a class definition of "bits n pieces" btw, offers a bit of everything, delivers a lot of nothing

Right you are.

1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Matt Prior (wk), 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Eoin Morgan, 7 Paul Collingwood, 8 Michael Yardy, 9 Ajmal Shahzad, 10 Chris Tremlett, 11 James Anderson.

Probably the strongest side you guys could field from that bunch. Looks more strong in the batting with Collingwood at 7 where there isn't so much pressure on him to deliver with the bat.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Lee does it again with the early breakthrough. He deserved that, could have had him earlier in the over if not for that inside edge and getting some nice shape.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Good fightback here, English were smacking them all over the place but since Hastings has come on the runs have dried up.

Roofrom50

International Coach
Hastings has been changing his speeds every delivery of the innings. Very important to slow the run rate here

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Somehow Lee managed the 3rd most useless option, throwing it at neither Trott or the stumps, yet almost killing Michael Clarke. Doubtless the Australian public would have enjoyed it if he had killed him...

----------

And good to see Prior playing well, nothing like overreactionary fans saying he was useless after a couple of failures.

Users who are viewing this thread