Draft: 90s England Draft - It's Richard Blakey time

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I honestly can’t tell you how delighted I was you picked Nick Knight, as I was certain you were gonna pick Bailey
It was very much a toss-up between the two, but in the end I went with Knight even though the Northants fan in me is very disappointed with myself. Both would have earned a lot of money from T20 cricket had they been around a generation later

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Allan Wells for me. Was unlucky to only play a single test match, with a duck and 3*. Had a pretty decent first class career (according to the stats) with a First Class average of 38 with 46 100s.[DOUBLEPOST=1609513066][/DOUBLEPOST]@blockerdave

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Since my next pick was taken, here is my other pick Hugh Morris

hugh-morris-841985938.jpg

Stats||Matches||Runs||HS||:bat: Ave||100s/50s
First-Class | |314| |19,785| |233*| |40.29| |53/98
Test | |3| |115| |44| |19.16| |0/0

A bit of his bio from circinfo:

"Left-hand opener Hugh Morris was one of the most consistent and successful batsmen in Glamorgan's history, and despite being one of county cricket's most reliable batsmen, he won just three Test caps. Morris made his county debut in 1981 whilst still at Blundells School, where he set a host of batting records. After playing for, and captaining, Young England in the mid 1980's, he became Glamorgan's youngest-ever leader in 1986. He stood down from the captaincy at the end of the 1989 season in order to concentrate on his batting - it was a move which reaped its rewards in 1990 as he hit a club record 10 centuries and 2276 runs. Morris returned to the captaincy in 1993 and led Glamorgan to the Sunday League title. He also captained England A to South Africa, West Indies, and Sri Lanka, but at the end of the 1995 season, he handed over the reins to Matthew Maynard."

1. :eng: :bat: Hugh Morris
  2. :eng: :bat: Michael Atherton
  3. ?
  4. :eng: :bat: Nasser Hussain
  5. :eng: :ar: Andrew Flintoff
  6. :eng: :wkb: John Crawley
  7. :eng: :ar: Mark Ealham
  8. :eng: :ar: John Emburey
  9. :eng: :bwl: Martin Bicknell
  10. ?
  11. :eng: :bwl: Allan Mullally

@Yash. back to you sir

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Since my next pick was taken, here is my other pick Hugh Morris

hugh-morris-841985938.jpg

Stats||Matches||Runs||HS||:bat: Ave||100s/50s
First-Class | |314| |19,785| |233*| |40.29| |53/98
Test | |3| |115| |44| |19.16| |0/0

A bit of his bio from circinfo:

"Left-hand opener Hugh Morris was one of the most consistent and successful batsmen in Glamorgan's history, and despite being one of county cricket's most reliable batsmen, he won just three Test caps. Morris made his county debut in 1981 whilst still at Blundells School, where he set a host of batting records. After playing for, and captaining, Young England in the mid 1980's, he became Glamorgan's youngest-ever leader in 1986. He stood down from the captaincy at the end of the 1989 season in order to concentrate on his batting - it was a move which reaped its rewards in 1990 as he hit a club record 10 centuries and 2276 runs. Morris returned to the captaincy in 1993 and led Glamorgan to the Sunday League title. He also captained England A to South Africa, West Indies, and Sri Lanka, but at the end of the 1995 season, he handed over the reins to Matthew Maynard."

1. :eng: :bat: Hugh Morris
  2. :eng: :bat: Michael Atherton
  3. ?
  4. :eng: :bat: Nasser Hussain
  5. :eng: :ar: Andrew Flintoff
  6. :eng: :wkb: John Crawley
  7. :eng: :ar: Mark Ealham
  8. :eng: :ar: John Emburey
  9. :eng: :bwl: Martin Bicknell
  10. ?
  11. :eng: :bwl: Allan Mullally

@Yash. back to you sir

Aargh... he wasn’t my v next pick but he was my planned opener. Was hoping he’d be under the radar.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I will be switching my two openers up so Atherton opens the bat with Morris in at the non-strikers end, mostly due to Athertons experience opening at the international level

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Neil Foster to round up my bowling attack.[DOUBLEPOST=1609570845][/DOUBLEPOST]@blockerdave

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I’m going to complete my bowling attack with STEVE WATKIN. Often disparagingly lumped in with the likes of Mike Smith and Simon Brown as a “horses for courses” Headingley selection, the difference is Watkin was successful, taking 2/55 and 3/38 as England beat the West Indies in 1991. He took 0/60 in his only bowling innings of the second test as West Indies won easily, and was instantly discarded.

Brought back for the final test of the 1993 Ashes he took 2/87 and 4/65 as England won a face-saving victory and the first under Atherton’s captaincy. His initial 3 wicket burst reduced the Aussie top-order to the rubble of 30/3 and set England on their way.

Selected for the winter tour, he got injured and only played in the ODIs. After that, he never got another look in. But like Rob Bailey, he should have. An accurate bowler with lively pace, he was a consistent performer. His test average of 27.72 matches his FC average of 27.92 (902 wickets), as his ODI average of 27.57 matches his List A average of 26.82.

He does nothing to strengthen my tail, however I am absurdly happy with that attack: if I could pick an England XI of the 90s without a draft, the only change I’d make to that attack would be either Malcolm or Fraser for Watkin.
  1. Graham Gooch
  2. -
  3. Mark Butcher
  4. Robin Smith
  5. Rob Bailey
  6. -
  7. Chris Read
  8. Darren Gough
  9. Dean Headley
  10. Steve Watkin
  11. Phil Tufnell
@Aislabie

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Chris-Lewis-England-Masters-XI.jpg

:eng: :ar: Chris Lewis

90s Tests - 1,105 runs @ 23.02 (1 century, best 117) and 93 wickets @ 37.52 (3 5WI, best 6/111) in 32 matches
Test career - 1,105 runs @ 23.02 (1 century, best 117) and 93 wickets @ 37.52 (3 5WI, best 6/111) in 32 matches
First-class career - 7,406 runs @ 30.73 (9 centuries, best 247) and 543 wickets @ 29.88 (20 5WI, best 6/22) in 189 matches

Honestly, I was faced with a choice between Chris Lewis and an undecided spinner, or Chris Silverwood and Robert Croft. In the end, I had to go for a player who ultimately wouldn't have made my side for either of his disciplines on their own, but who is significantly better than the next best all-round option of the era - a likely choice between the aforementioned Croft, Dermot Reeve or an idea of Ben Hollioake that was probably better than the reality. Ultimately, Lewis will do his job - he's my fourth seamer and a number seven batsman, and I can't complain with that.

He can probably also supply Dale's team with enough cocaine that most of them never even make it to the playing field.

@Aislabie's XI so far:
1. :eng: :bat: Nick Knight
2. :eng: :bat: Mike Gatting
3. :eng: :bat: Mark Ramprakash
4. :eng: :bat: Graeme Hick
5. :eng: :bat: David Gower
7. :eng: :ar: Chris Lewis
8. :eng: :ar: Phillip DeFreitas
10. :eng: :bwl: Angus Fraser
11. :eng: :bwl: Devon Malcolm

@Dale88

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Chris-Lewis-England-Masters-XI.jpg

:eng: :ar: Chris Lewis

90s Tests - 1,105 runs @ 23.02 (1 century, best 117) and 93 wickets @ 37.52 (3 5WI, best 6/111) in 32 matches
Test career - 1,105 runs @ 23.02 (1 century, best 117) and 93 wickets @ 37.52 (3 5WI, best 6/111) in 32 matches
First-class career - 7,406 runs @ 30.73 (9 centuries, best 247) and 543 wickets @ 29.88 (20 5WI, best 6/22) in 189 matches

Honestly, I was faced with a choice between Chris Lewis and an undecided spinner, or Chris Silverwood and Robert Croft. In the end, I had to go for a player who ultimately wouldn't have made my side for either of his disciplines on their own, but who is significantly better than the next best all-round option of the era - a likely choice between the aforementioned Croft, Dermot Reeve or an idea of Ben Hollioake that was probably better than the reality. Ultimately, Lewis will do his job - he's my fourth seamer and a number seven batsman, and I can't complain with that.

He can probably also supply Dale's team with enough cocaine that most of them never even make it to the playing field.

@Aislabie's XI so far:
1. :eng: :bat: Nick Knight
2. :eng: :bat: Mike Gatting
3. :eng: :bat: Mark Ramprakash
4. :eng: :bat: Graeme Hick
5. :eng: :bat: David Gower
7. :eng: :ar: Chris Lewis
8. :eng: :ar: Phillip DeFreitas
10. :eng: :bwl: Angus Fraser
11. :eng: :bwl: Devon Malcolm

@Dale88

I think if England had accepted Lewis as a 4th Seamer and number 7who’d occasionally come off, instead of a “new Botham” he’d have had a decent career.

Instead he was often asked to open or bowl first change, and after a couple of failures with the bat would be shunted down the order or bombed out the side.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
1.:eng: Ned Larkins:bat:
3.:eng: Allan Lamb:bat:
4.:eng: Neil Fairbrother:bat:
5.:eng: Ian Botham :ar:
6.:eng: Ronnie Irani :ar:
7.:eng: Jack Russell:wkb:
8.:eng: Eddie Hemmings:bwl:
9.:eng: Syd Lawrence:bwl:
10.:eng: Gladstone Small:bwl:
11.:eng: Andy Caddick:bwl:

image_20130909103429.jpg

I mean. I'm almost parodying myself now. But hey ho, we're we're for a good time not a long time. So with formidable test average of 15, coming in at No 4 seems the ideal place for Mr Fairbrother.

Eddie-Hemmings-1.jpg

And then at No 8 we have my "spinner" a man to whom Spin is a foreign concept, be better described as a slow flight bowler, with a massive conk. Welcome to the mad house Ed, straight jackets are over by the bins..

@Aislabie

Users who are viewing this thread