A different kind of Test XI

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
So guys, we now have 12 Test nations. I challenge you to name an all time Test XI (with a 12th man) using only ONE player from each current Test nation. That makes 12 people, correct?

The rules...

- Obviously only one player from each team.

- Any era, any player. But their MOST RECENT country representation counts. So no Eoin Morgan for your Ireland pick for example.

- Your reasons would be helpful but not absolutely necessary.

- Comments on other people's picks are to be kept respectful please but also you can encourage debate once it's done properly.

- The team must be realistic, not all bowlers or all batsmen or a bunch of "the best".

- Not an official rule, but I actively encourage creativity here. Don't just be like the other "best" teams. Think about who you're picking, factor it into your team as if you were actually picking an actual team to play today. I mean, I don't want a team of the usual great guys.

My team:

Openers
Matthew Hayden (Aus) and Alistair Cook (Eng) - Cook is a great player and has scored so many runs this far at such a relatively young age. At the other end it's Haydos. What Cook can't do, Hayden will. Simple as that.

Number 3
Andy Flower (Zim)
This guy beats Sachin for my number 3 by far and I don't care what anyone says he innovated so much and he's one of the best bar none. It's too bad that a lot of drama happened to Zimbabwe cricket over the years, else I think he could have been even better.

Number 4
VVS Laxman (Ind)
I'm still going to avoid Sachin. I always preferred to watch this guy at the crease more than anyone in the Indian team... he was just class in action. I would be in awe at just how stylish he looked.

Numbers 5 and 6
Garry Sobers (WI) and Jaques Kallis (SA)
Two of the absolute BEST ALL ROUNDERS IN THE GAME? YOU BET YOUR LAST CENT I'M INCLUDING THEM!

You'd think it leaves me with a weak lower order, huh...

Keeper
Kumar Sangakarra (SRI)
Nuff said.

Opening bowlers
Wasim Akram (Pak) and Mashrafe Mortaza (Ban)
Akram is a given, of course. A lot of you would be questioning my decision of Mortaza. That's because you may only know him as he is recently. Before all his knee injuries and surgeries...he was damn fast and could swing both the new and old ball.

Number 10
Trent Boult (NZ)
I think Boult is an excellent bowler and he deserves to be first change.

Number 11
Mohammad Nabi (Afg)
I've seen the guy. I've seen him bowl. He's pretty good. And he has a First Class bowling average of 23ish...more than handy. Plus he can bat.

12th man
William Porterfield (Ire)
Excellent player but I just didn't have room in the team...

So guys, what's your team? Note I don't have Lara, Murali, Warne...etc...this is supposed to test you out. Don't be conventional. Be different.

EDIT: If you'd also like to post an ODI or a T20 team, you are very welcome to do so, just say which format you're posting at the start.

DOUBLE EDIT: Sangakarra will be my choice for captain.

TRIPLE EDIT: Maybe I'll just write a match just for fun between my team and whoever has the most liked/voted/thanked team...for those of you who remember me from about 7 years ago...I write matches quite well...how's a dream team vs a dream team match sound?

Last edited:
P

PVFCashley

1. G.smith (SA) capt
2. T.iqbal (BANG)
3. B.lara (WI)
4. S.tendulkar (IND)
5. K.pietersen (ENG)
6. Niall o brien (IRL) wkt
7. S.warne (AUS)
8. W.akram (PAK)
9. R.hadlee (NZ)
10. Murali (SL)
11. H.streak (ZIM)

12th man
Rashid Khan (AFG)

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I love your openers. Tamim and Graeme are two wonderfully agressive batsmen. Might not be the best sort of thing in certain pitches but then again...take it to the bowlers.

I would put Lara at 4 and Sachin at 3 in your lineup. Lara needed mentally to perform. Sachin...just performed.

Again, I would swap Niall with Pieterson. I think it would be better.

Of course you have some of the best afterwards. But I'd like to really really give you a lot of props for Heath Streak because I do think he was an excellent bowler and seriously props on you for putting him in your starting XI. You, sir, have earned my respect.

P

PVFCashley

Yes, apart from the 2 openers I think the batting order can be moved around.
Heath streak was a great bowler, but also a much better batter than number 11.
Props to you for a great thread, I really enjoyed it.
Would have loved to have added gordon greenidge, but couldn't go against lara.

Monk1

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Len Hutton (Eng)
Kyle Koetzer (Scotland)
Don Bradman (Aus)
Andy Flower (Zim) +
Will Porterfield (Ire)
Garry Sobers (WI)
Shakib Al Hasan (Bang)
Imran Khan (Pak)
Kapil Dev (Ind)
Richard Hadlee (NZ)
Muttiah Muralitharan (SL)

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Hayden
Hutton
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Flower (wk)
Sobers
Shakib al Hasan
Akram
Hadlee
Rashid Khan
Steyn

Ed Joyce (12th man)

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Wow! Those two teams look unbeatable! And to be honest, for some reason I didn't even think about Hadlee. Kudos to you guys for putting him in your teams.

Last edited:

Santander

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
:eng::bat: Alastair Cook :c:
:ire::bat: Ed Joyce
:nz::bat: Kane Williamson
:pak::bat: Younis Khan
:sri::bat: Aravinda de Silva
:zim::wk: Andy Flower
:aus::ar: Keith Miller
:ban::ar: Shakib Al Hasan
:ind::bwl: Anil Kumble
:wi::bwl: Michael Holding
:saf::bwl: Dale Steyn

12th man:
:afg::ar: Mohammad Nabi

Last edited:

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
I've built the team around only those who I have had the chance of watching live on TV or in flesh (so no pre-1995 players). The "Why" part is solely my opinion, so more likely than not may not concur with yours.

1. Mark Waugh (AUS)
Competitors: Greame Smith, Sanath Jayasuriya, Virender Sehwag
Why: He was a perfect blend of caution and aggression - something you would want in your opener.

2. Stephen Flemming (NZ)
Competitors: Mark Taylor, Saeed Anwar, Alistair Cook
Why: First advantage is left-right combo. The second is the calming influence he would have for the other batsman.

3. Rahul Dravid (IND)
Competitors: Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Kumar Sangakarra, Hashim Amla
Why: I truly believe there cannot be a better no.3 batsman than him. Need I say more?

4. Andy Flower (ZIM)
Competitors: Mushfiqur Rahim, Ian Bell, Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Why: I wanted Adam Gilchirst as the keeper but I already had Mark Waugh in the squad. So the next best choice seemed to be this guy.

5. Misbah-ul-Haq (PAK)
Competitors: None
Why: I cannot see any better person suited at no.5 than Misbah. I've lost count of the number of times he has led Pakistan to some sort of a respectable score when there were others falling around him like 9-pins.

6. Carl Hooper (WI)
Competitors: MS Dhoni, Steve Waugh, Alec Stewart
Why: Desperately wanted Steve Waugh here but there was place for only Mark in the team. Can act as a backup to Misbah should there a top order collapse. Plus, could come handy with his spin.

7. Andrew Flintoff (ENG)
Competitors: Ben Stokes, Neil Johnson, Irfan Pathan
Why: Irfan would have walked right into this spot had he held on to his banana swing. But Flintoff is a fierce competitor as well. You know he will bowl his heart out when needed.

8. Shaun Pollock (SA)
Competitors: Allan Donald, James Anderson, Mitchell Johnson
Why: A solid bowler who can bat as well. There was the temptation of going for an express bowler but Pollock's batting ability tipped it in his favor.

9. Chaminda Vaas (SL)
Competitors: Ryan Harris, Shoaib Akhtar, Shane Bond
Why: Effective in both dust bowls and bowler friendly conditions. Can bat a bit too.

10. Mehdi Hasan Mirza (BAN)
Competitors: Greame Swann, Mohammed Rafique, Saeed Ajmal
Why: Wanted to have two very young spinners in my team since I believe spinners usually get better with age and would need the experience and backing from an early age.

11. Rashid Khan (AFG)
Competitors: Mushtaq Ahmed, Anil Kumble, Paul Adams
Why: Same reason as #10

12. Kevin O'Brien (IRL)
Why: Handy all-rounder and because had to pick one from Ireland.

S

Satan666

I've built the team around only those who I have had the chance of watching live on TV or in flesh (so no pre-1995 players). The "Why" part is solely my opinion, so more likely than not may not concur with yours.

1. Mark Waugh (AUS)
Competitors: Greame Smith, Sanath Jayasuriya, Virender Sehwag
Why: He was a perfect blend of caution and aggression - something you would want in your opener.

2. Stephen Flemming (NZ)
Competitors: Mark Taylor, Saeed Anwar, Alistair Cook
Why: First advantage is left-right combo. The second is the calming influence he would have for the other batsman.

3. Rahul Dravid (IND)
Competitors: Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Kumar Sangakarra, Hashim Amla
Why: I truly believe there cannot be a better no.3 batsman than him. Need I say more?

4. Andy Flower (ZIM)
Competitors: Mushfiqur Rahim, Ian Bell, Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Why: I wanted Adam Gilchirst as the keeper but I already had Mark Waugh in the squad. So the next best choice seemed to be this guy.

5. Misbah-ul-Haq (PAK)
Why: I cannot see any better person suited at no.5 than Misbah. I've lost count of the number of times he has led Pakistan to some sort of a respectable score when there were others falling around him like 9-pins.

6. Carl Hooper (WI)
Competitors: MS Dhoni, Steve Waugh, Alec Stewart
Why: Desperately wanted Steve Waugh here but there was place for only Mark in the team. Can act as a backup to Misbah should there a top order collapse. Plus, could come handy with his spin.

7. Andrew Flintoff (ENG)
Competitors: Ben Stokes, Neil Johnson, Irfan Pathan
Why: Irfan would have walked right into this spot had he held on to his banana swing. But Flintoff is a fierce competitor as well. You know he will bowl his heart out when needed.

8. Shaun Pollock (SA)
Competitors: Allan Donald, James Anderson, Mitchell Johnson
Why: A solid bowler who can bat as well. There was the temptation of going for an express bowler but Pollock's batting ability tipped it in his favor.

9. Chaminda Vaas (SL)
Competitors: Ryan Harris, Shoaib Akhtar, Shane Bond
Why: Effective in both dust bowls and bowler friendly conditions. Can bat a bit too.

10. Mehdi Hasan Mirza (BAN)
Competitors: Greame Swann, Mohammed Rafique, Saeed Ajmal
Why: Wanted to have two very young spinners in my team since I believe spinners usually get better with age and would need the experience and backing from an early age.

11. Rashid Khan (AFG)
Competitors: Mushtaq Ahmed, Anil Kumble, Paul Adams
Why: Same reason as #10

12. Kevin O'Brien (IRL)
Why: Handy all-rounder and because had to pick one from Ireland.

Recall Mark Waugh opening in ODI but never in tests, as such I cant understand your rationale of comparing him against three test opening batsmen who played aggressively. Did he open in tests at all? Guess this an ODI team?

S

Satan666

So guys, we now have 12 Test nations. I challenge you to name an all time Test XI (with a 12th man) using only ONE player from each current Test nation. That makes 12 people, correct?

The rules...

- Obviously only one player from each team.

- Any era, any player. But their MOST RECENT country representation counts. So no Eoin Morgan for your Ireland pick for example.

- Your reasons would be helpful but not absolutely necessary.

- Comments on other people's picks are to be kept respectful please but also you can encourage debate once it's done properly.

- The team must be realistic, not all bowlers or all batsmen or a bunch of "the best".

- Not an official rule, but I actively encourage creativity here. Don't just be like the other "best" teams. Think about who you're picking, factor it into your team as if you were actually picking an actual team to play today. I mean, I don't want a team of the usual great guys.

My team:

Openers
Matthew Hayden (Aus) and Alistair Cook (Eng) - Cook is a great player and has scored so many runs this far at such a relatively young age. At the other end it's Haydos. What Cook can't do, Hayden will. Simple as that.

Number 3
Andy Flower (Zim)
This guy beats Sachin for my number 3 by far and I don't care what anyone says he innovated so much and he's one of the best bar none. It's too bad that a lot of drama happened to Zimbabwe cricket over the years, else I think he could have been even better.

Number 4
VVS Laxman (Ind)
I'm still going to avoid Sachin. I always preferred to watch this guy at the crease more than anyone in the Indian team... he was just class in action. I would be in awe at just how stylish he looked.

Numbers 5 and 6
Garry Sobers (WI) and Jaques Kallis (SA)
Two of the absolute BEST ALL ROUNDERS IN THE GAME? YOU BET YOUR LAST CENT I'M INCLUDING THEM!

You'd think it leaves me with a weak lower order, huh...

Keeper
Kumar Sangakarra (SRI)
Nuff said.

Opening bowlers
Wasim Akram (Pak) and Mashrafe Mortaza (Ban)
Akram is a given, of course. A lot of you would be questioning my decision of Mortaza. That's because you may only know him as he is recently. Before all his knee injuries and surgeries...he was damn fast and could swing both the new and old ball.

Number 10
Trent Boult (NZ)
I think Boult is an excellent bowler and he deserves to be first change.

Number 11
Mohammad Nabi (Afg)
I've seen the guy. I've seen him bowl. He's pretty good. And he has a First Class bowling average of 23ish...more than handy. Plus he can bat.

12th man
William Porterfield (Ire)
Excellent player but I just didn't have room in the team...

So guys, what's your team? Note I don't have Lara, Murali, Warne...etc...this is supposed to test you out. Don't be conventional. Be different.

EDIT: If you'd also like to post an ODI or a T20 team, you are very welcome to do so, just say which format you're posting at the start.

DOUBLE EDIT: Sangakarra will be my choice for captain.

TRIPLE EDIT: Maybe I'll just write a match just for fun between my team and whoever has the most liked/voted/thanked team...for those of you who remember me from about 7 years ago...I write matches quite well...how's a dream team vs a dream team match sound?

I am willing and eager to give this a shot but in your team the underlined players are of the same ilk as a Warne or Lara. Wasim Akram is perhaps the best left arm the game haS EVER SEEN and certainly there have been more bowlers from Pakistan to chose from. Same goes for Flower, Hayden and Cook.

Please clear up a bit. Thanks.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
ecall Mark Waugh opening in ODI but never in tests, as such I cant understand your rationale of comparing him against three test opening batsmen who played aggressively. Did he open in tests at all? Guess this an ODI team?
You're right in that he never opened in Tests. But I wanted to make sure I considered the below too:

- Not an official rule, but I actively encourage creativity here.

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
Being a little bit creative in as much I tried to go for some options not yet selected.
In no particular order, but you can make a good team out of it. Ive also opted for people I would like to see play as a factor.

:eng: Grace (Eng)
:ind: Gavaskar (Ind)
:aus: Bradman (Aus)
:nzf: Richard Hadlee (NZ)
:saf: Kallis (RSA)
:sri: Murali (SL)
:wi: Joel Garner (WI)
:pak: Abbas (PAK)
:zim:Flower (Zim)
:ban: Mortaza (BAN)
:afg: Nabi (AFG)

S

Satan666

You're right in that he never opened in Tests. But I wanted to make sure I considered the below too:

Certainly creative, got me thinking of him as an opening batsman in tests, maybe alongside Taylor would have been..

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
I am not sure how this team will fare but this is what I have got:

Alastair Cook [ENG]
Andy Flower [ZIM]
Rahul Dravid [IND]
Viv Richards [WI]
Martin Crowe [NZ]
Kumar Sangakkara [SL] (wk)
Shakib Al Hasan [BAN]
Imran [PAK]
Warne/McGrath [AUS]
Steyn [SA]
Rashid Khan [AFG]

12th man: Ed Joyce [IRE]

PS: With due respect, I have refrained from selecting fossils like Bradman and Hobbs.

Users who are viewing this thread