Draft: All-Time Cricket Sixes

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
kapil-dev-834871.jpg

Here comes the Haryana Hurricane, as a batsman he was a naturally aggressive and clean striker of the ball who could hook and drive efficiently as well as take the attack to the opposition. If we need someone at the end of the innings to rescue us out of a tight spot Kapil Dev is our man. He'd merit a place for his batting alone however it's certain that nobody will be looking forward to being peppered with in-swinging yorkers while right-handers will have to concentrate on not being beat on the outside edge whilst also trying to hit it out of the ground at the same time, good luck opposing batsmen!

1. :sri::ar: Sanath Jayasuriya
2. :eng::wk: Jos Buttler
4. :eng::ar: Graham Napier
5. :wi::bat: Clive Lloyd :c:
6. :ind::ar: Kapil Dev

@blockerdave

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
kapil-dev-834871.jpg

Here comes the Haryana Hurricane, as a batsman he was a naturally aggressive and clean striker of the ball who could hook and drive efficiently as well as take the attack to the opposition. If we need someone at the end of the innings to rescue us out of a tight spot Kapil Dev is our man. He'd merit a place for his batting alone however it's certain that nobody will be looking forward to being peppered with in-swinging yorkers while right-handers will have to concentrate on not being beat on the outside edge whilst also trying to hit it out of the ground, good luck opposing batsmen!

1. :sri::ar: Sanath Jayasuriya
2. :eng::wk: Jos Buttler
4. :eng::ar: Graham Napier
5. :wi::bat: Clive Lloyd :c:
6. :ind::ar: Kapil Dev

@blockerdave

And there goes one pick that I really wanted. :(

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
baf9cbdad895df9c39132a862e78264c

:sri: :bwl: Lasith Malinga

T20 stats
: 390 wickets @ 7.08 rpo in 295 matches
Peak performance: Six for seven on 12/12/12 vs Perth Scorchers

Yeah, another absolute front-line bowler. Just have him slot in six yorkers with his weird round-arm bowling action and you'll be all set. Batting ability doesn't matter much: if the guys above him can't last 30 balls, then it's more important that you've got someone to fix it with ball in hand.

@Aislabie 's VI:
1. :eng: :bat: Graeme Hick
2. :nzf: :wk: Brendon McCullum
4. :aus: :ar: Ian Harvey
5. :pak: :ar: Wasim Akram
6. :sri: :bwl: Lasith Malinga

@Na Maloom Afraad I think?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
baf9cbdad895df9c39132a862e78264c

:sri: :bwl: Lasith Malinga

T20 stats
: 390 wickets @ 7.08 rpo in 295 matches
Peak performance: Six for seven on 12/12/12 vs Perth Scorchers

Yeah, another absolute front-line bowler. Just have him slot in six yorkers with his weird round-arm bowling action and you'll be all set. Batting ability doesn't matter much: if the guys above him can't last 30 balls, then it's more important that you've got someone to fix it with ball in hand.

@Aislabie 's VI:
1. :eng: :bat: Graeme Hick
2. :nzf: :wk: Brendon McCullum
4. :aus: :ar: Ian Harvey
5. :pak: :ar: Wasim Akram
6. :sri: :bwl: Lasith Malinga

@Na Maloom Afraad I think?

I missed you picking up Ian Harvey - what a fantastic pick.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys

NMA's ALL-TIME SIXES VI

:aus: :wkb: Ben Dunk :wk:
:pak: :ar: Shahid Afridi
:nz: :ar: Corey Anderson
:ind: :ar: Yuvraj Singh
:ind: :ar: Hardik Pandya

Still to this day, I remember the anxiety I felt watching Hardik Pandya smash Shadab Khan in the Champions Trophy final. I genuinely thought he'd run away with the game and undo everything that preceded that.

I can't figure out the batting order. I think Dunk and Afridi as openers is prolly a fix, but would Yuvraj be the better choice one-down or would Corey be? Where does Hardik Pandya fit into all of this? Nonetheless, pretty happy with my picks even if I can't decide their batting order.

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
images

Mike Procter
. A man who can bowl seriously quick yorkers at will, along with offbreaks and a variety of other things. And who despite being a proper batsman once good enough to score 6 consecutive FC hundreds (only matched by Don Bradman and CB Fry) is more than capable of smashing huge sixes with his muscular frame when in the mood. Seriously, what a player to have coming in towards the end of an innings..

VC's XI

1) :ind: :bat: Rohit Sharma
2) :saf: :ar: Jimmy Sinclair
3) :jam: :ar: Andre Russell
4) :saf: :ar: Lance Klusener
5) :saf: :ar: Mike Procter
6)

@ahmedleo414 I think

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Angelo Mathews

angelo-matthews-of-sri-lanka-celebrates-his-century-during-the-group-picture-id1160386883

Taken over 190 wickets, hit over 180 6s in international cricket... how could I not pick him. Plus an amazing fielder.. a most welcome addition to my team
  1. :wi: :ar: Chris Gayle
  2. :eng: :ar: Tony Greig
  3. :ind: :wkb: MS Dhoni
  4. :saf: :ar: Jacques Kallis
  5. ?
  6. :sri: :ar: Angelo Mathews
@CerealKiller you are next

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I think i have enough firepower, so i'll pick a rabbit, but one who can nail six perfect yorkers in a row, Waqar Younis

CerealKiller's XI
1. :wi: Kieron Pollard :ar:
2. :wi: Viv Richards :ar:
3. :nzf: Colin Munro :ar:
4. :ind: Rishabh Pant :wkb:
6. :pak: Waqar Younis :ar:

@AsadRM

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Every once in a while, there comes one player who simply takes your breath away with precocious skill that is scarcely exhibited at such a young age. And while he hasn't completely fulfilled those expectations yet, :saf::wk:Quinton de Kock is at a point in his career where he is entering into his prime years for a batsman as his country's white ball captain. For a country with such a proud tradition that it has had a hard time accepting it's current fate, de Kock has unashamedly become the batsman on whom South Africa rely currently to an incredible extent that is not prominent in any of the other countries arguably. Very few players in history have been placed in the triple role of captaincy, opener and keeper but de Kock has taken to the role excellently, rediscovering an extra gear in his batting that he has missed and has led his team in a very encouraging way despite the issues plaguing it. Few current players are as good as de Kock on the leg-side and even fewer are as hungry as him to score runs at such a quick rate. My team needed a keeper, left-handed batsman and someone who could combine with Sehwag to blast away right from ball one. No one else could fulfill these three roles as well as de Kock.

My final pick is the one that I've been pondering on for quite sometime. Do I return to someone last seen in the PreT20 draft for his variations? Or should I opt for a player who bowls excellently first and can be an adequate bat if required at the end? In the end, I've decided to go for a player who I should have picked a long time ago in the PreT20 draft. For this pick we shall go back to where it all started for a team made up of various islands rivaling each other. A nation that has always had it's own inner self-doubts over it's place in an imperial sport but would go on to conquer cricket in the years to follow. One man was the trailblazer for all of the calypso cricketers that would originate, full of flair decades after he was done with cricket. He was a player who could be best described as the West Indian all-rounder that started it all, the father of a proud heritage that has resulted in the likes of Russell and Bravo today. With the bat, he was an inventive and attractive player who would simply prefer to send the ball packing to the boundary and was the greatest six-hitter seen since Jessop himself but could also bat patiently to save a test like he did in his last international appearance. With the ball, could bowl very rapidly but also possessed the ability to deliver a mean slower ball that could 'spin' either way and had a fearsome yorker alongside the talent to bowl a mean bouncer not unlike the Bodyline tactic followed by Larwood. This meant that a lot of his wickets would often come in a single spell where he was simply described as unplayable.

He didn't really shine in test cricket in the eighteen appearances he could manage between commitments to his Lancashire League team Nelson, who have an entire chapter in their history literally dedicated to him and his achievements. These were not times were a player could manage solely on just cricket, particularly if he was from the island of Trinidad. And so, he played whenever possible in official first-class games which shine a better light on his talent though they still fall short of what he could have accomplished in a better team and a more modern era. Despite that he starred in the Lancashire Leagues, the closest variant of what cricket had similar to IPL in those days where several of his records still stand proud. And there were times when he was the sole 'match-winner' for his team in more official games, such as two scores of 86 and 103 in just an hour along with a seven-wicket haul at the Lord's versus Middlesex. His contribution to two famous test victories versus England in 1930 should also not be forgotten, with nine wickets in the first test and five in the second alongside a 90 and 31. When he toured Australia later his accomplishments would be praised heavily, with The Sydney Mail described him as the fastest bowler seen in Australia for years and Don Bradman described him as the greatest fielder he had seen in 1950. Indeed, it was his fielding for which he was most famous. Cricket had rarely seen such an athletic showman before him and there has arguably been no one who was his equal as world class with ball and in the field with the exception of Boult. When there was the threat of a rival league signing him in 1935, all of the Lancashire League's clubs pitched in their money to improve his contract as they all knew he was the biggest reason that crowds were frequently drawn to the games. The subsequent raise made him the highest-paid sportsman in the country for a time. A man of such influence could indeed do a lot better and inspire a change which to his credit he did, being instrumental as a statesman and politician in the later years (which would merit an entire book by themsleves) and an important figurehead in the appointment of West Indies' first permament black captain.

With the pick of the Colossus named :wi::ar:Learie Constantine, my team shall be complete.

1. :saf::wk:Quinton de Kock
  2. :ind::ar:Virender Sehwag
  3. :aus::ar:Shane Watson
  4. :eng::ar:Gilbert Jessop
  5. :wi::ar:Learie Constantine
  6. :afg::ar:Rashid Khan

@AsadRM back to you.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Andrew Flintoff
It would be criminal to not pick Andrew Flintoff. He was always a correct, powerful batsman, sometimes hesitant against quality spin. His bowling was always wholehearted and occasionally magnificent when he was probing away outside off with a hint of reverse swing at high pace. But it wasn't until the New Zealand tour early in 2002 that Flintoff finally scored a Test century or took more than four wickets in a match. He looked established at last - but then another injury kept him out of the 2002-03 Ashes, although he was fit enough for the World Cup that followed in South Africa, where he was the most economical bowler on view.

First, there was 2003 when a six off Makhaya Ntini was still rising as it thudded into the Bedser Stand at The Oval. In 2004 he finally slipped the handbrake and bowled at his fastest - and also smacked a rollicking Test-best 167 against West Indies at Edgbaston, when one of his seven sixes was memorably dropped by his father in the stands. And then there was the crowning glory of 2005, when he bestrode the Ashes series and was undoubtedly the leading cricketer in the world, a fact acknowledged by Wisden. The photograph of him consoling Brett Lee after England narrowly beat Australia at Edgbaston became the photograph to capture one of the great Test series.

Here are just two videos of his stellar exploits with the bat and ball:

Asad's XI:
:ind:
Kl Rahul :wkb:
:saf: AB de Villiers :wkb:
:eng: Ben Stokes :ar: :c:
:aus: Glenn Maxwell :ar:
:eng: Andrew Flintoff :ar:
:pak: Abdul Razzaq :ar:

This is the end of the draft for me, as it is my last pick. Firstly, I would thank @Aislabie for letting me take part in this and all the participants who stole my picks :p. I didn't plan these picks really tactically and just went with the flow, thus some of my picks might sound weird (like having 4 pace bowling options). Also, there was a big gap in a few of my picks and many of the names in my mind were already picked, till the time my picks arrived. But I guess all's well if it ends well.

@CerealKiller you are next

Users who are viewing this thread