An English Adventure

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
So, I recently had to reset my computer, meaning I can no longer play the Aussie save file. Now, I do apologise to the one or two other Aussies here, but I decided to switch things up for my new one. The Poms were dismal during my save - they didn't win the Ashes in thirty years. I'm going to try and change that, and see if I can do what no Pom team ever has - been good at limited overs and at Tests at the same time.

First up is an ODI series against Ireland. My first England squad in charge is as follows:

:bat: Alex Hales
:bat: David Malan :redo:
:bat: Eoin Morgan :c:
:bat: Joe Root
:wkb: Jos Buttler
:wkb: Ben Duckett
:ar: Jofra Archer :redo:
:ar: Joe Denly
:ar: Chris Jordan
:ar: Adil Rashid
:ar: David Willey
:bwl: Tom Curran
:bwl: Saqib Mahmood :redo:

Three potential debutants here, as strong form rewards Malan and Mahmood (as well as a recall for Hales), while Archer comes in as a big scary quick. Missing out are James Vince and Liam Plunkett.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
I apologise, it turns out the series was a single game at Dublin! And I'm glad it was.

Ireland got 9/334 in a very strong batting performance after winning the toss. Paul Stirling was pinned LBW by Curran for 97, but then Gary Wilson followed up with an unbeaten ton off 80 deliveries. Saqib Mahmood scythed through the tail to take five on debut, but both Jordan and Willey were awful, and probably will be replaced next time by Jofra (a late omission to Jordan).

We batted terribly in reply. Denly (66) was a highlight, but aside from him and a forty for Root, everyone else hit struggle street - the openers both in particular failing. All out for 197 wasn't the start of my tenure I had planned.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
T20 vs :pak: (Home): Squad

:bat: Phil Salt :redo:
:bat: James Vince
:wkb: Ben Duckett :redo:
:bwl: Liam Plunkett
:bwl: Mark Wood

Lineup: Hales, Vince, Root, Salt, Morgan, Buttler, Willey, Rashid, Archer, Curran, Wood

So, we have a being bowled out issue.

Our bowling innings went relatively well. Archer was poor on debut and leaked runs early, but incredible death bowling from Willey (0/19) nullified that, and Mark Wood (3/40) got penetration within the Pakistani order. 6/168 was chaseable.

But our batting couldn't handle Mohammad Amir (4/26). Phil Salt had 32 on debut, but everyone else crashed and burned (or went too hard), leading to being all out for 129 after just 14 overs. Not sure about the planning from my assistant. Hoping for better soon.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
ODI vs :pak: (home): Squad

:bat: Sam Hain :redo:
:bat: David Malan
:bwl: Saqib Mahmood
:bwl: Toby Roland-Jones
I'm permitted 15 men instead of 13 for this series, so I've brought in Sam Hain (who's having a great year in County) as well as a backup seamer in Toby Roland-Jones. Happy with the rest of the squad.

Game 1: The Oval
As promised, Archer debuts for Jordan. Hain also gets a chance to open, with Malan missing out today - but I'm still looking for my best team, so he could get another shot in this series.

This one hurt. We were improved with the bat significantly, and showed signs in the field, but bowled poorly. Batting first for the first time seemed to suit the team, as Alex Hales hammered a century after we were put in. After he (123 from 125) departed, Buttler (59 from 40) and David Willey (42 from 20) finished the innings entertainingly, and the final score of 6/341 was very good.

The issue was, Pakistan got off to a flier and didn't stop for 30 overs. Fakhar (33 off 17) was replaced by Babar (68 off 53), and then by Shoaib Malik (113* off 100). The tail collapsed - Mahmood, Willey and Curran were great at the death - but there was enough in Malik's tank to get Pakistan off the line. Archer (1/82) was poor in his debut, but I continue to like Mahmood (1/49) who was the only bowler today who was economical overall.

Game 2: Edgbaston
The same XI started for England. I wish it didn't.

This bowling performance was different to last. Curran, Archer and Rashid were all impressive, and the Pakistanis were held in check for a good 2/3 of the inning. But Babar wasn't dismissed... and he ran rampant against Willey and Saqib. 140* (89) , combined with some deft late hitting from Shoaib (45 off 26), saw the Pakistanis post a challenging total of 4/334.

In reply... 120 all out. Nothing even to discuss.

Game 3: Headingley
I had to change it up after Edgbaston. I was willing to leave Saqib in despite conceding 100, as he'd been my best bowler to that point, but I wasn't as lenient on the batting order - Joe Denly made way for Dawid Malan.

Malan didn't have a lot of effect at 4. Neither did Alex Hales, Sam Hain and Eoin Morgan. Luckily, Joe Root saved us this time. Root (82 from 112) played an important stabiliser innings, allowing the pair of Buttler (44) and Willey (54*) to hit us up to a respectable 9/262.

What followed, while still a losing performance, was our best bowling to date. Mahmood was again expensive, and Babar (96 from 86) was again elite, but the rest of the lineup was well contained. Willey (1/41) and Archer (3/54) were particularly impressive.

Game 4: Lords
I had a pre-match training session, which I used to give my underperfoming bats (basically, everyone but Root) practice, as well as my death bowlers a tune-up. Unchanged team, though.

We were 4/22 early on. The entire top order failed again. Eoin Morgan (95 off 127) did finally show up, and Jofra Archer showed some form, but aside from those two, it was another awful outing.

To their credit, though, the bowlers made a target of 196 thoroughly challenging for the Pakistanis. Only Sarfaraz (46 off 41) scored with any fluency, and Willey in particular (2/14 from five) ruined their day - including the wicket of Babar cheaply. Ultimately, in an all too familiar theme, though, the bats let them down.

Game 5: Nottingham
Two changes for this match. Dawid Malan (averaging 4 in his ODI career) was dropped again, with Ben Duckett coming in. Elsewhere, I gave TRJ a run after Mahmood had two expensive wickets so far this series.

Unfortunately, the batting changes again did not help. Hain (64 off 69) and Morgan (83 off 77) both fired, but the remainder of the top six scored 25 (Duckett getting a first delivery peach from Amir) and we were bowled out for 242.

There was a sniff at 5/80, after Archer capitalised both on high-pressure bowling from the other quicks and on traditional Pakistani running - but Imad Wasim (92* from 90) and Haris Sohail (71 from 78) rescued the innings. That said, I'm still happy with my bowlers - TRJ, Curran and Willey were all supremely economical, and the other two had multiple wickets.

Series result: 5-0 :pak:. The bowling improved over the series, but the bats had absolutely no consistency. I need more than just Eoin Morgan and Joe Root to win cricket games.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Squad
:bat: Will Fraine :redo:
:bat: Sam Hain
:ar: Jofra Archer
:ar: Ryan Higgins :redo:
:bwl: Saqib Mahmood
:bwl: Toby Roland-Jones

Two squad changes. Ryan Higgins did the 'unignorable stats' thing, averaging 50 with the bat and 20 with the ball this year in the domestic One Day competition. On the other hand, Fraine (a cheat code in the Aussie sim) gets the call because I couldn't keep Dawid Malan and his average of four in an important competition.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
WC Warm Up vs Australia
Lineup: Denly-Hain-Root-Morgan-Fraine-Duckett-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Archer-TRJ. Full experimental here; it's only a warm up game.
AU lineup: Warner-Khawaja-Smith-Finch-Cary-Maxwell-Cummins-Coulternile-Starc-Lyon-Behrendorff

We had to bowl first on a batting wicket. Australia got off to a sprightly start, mainly through Khawaja, but Ryan Higgins got Warner at the other end for 30 for his first ODI wicket. This led into a big partnership for the Aussies - Smith and Khawaja produced a boatload of runs, particularly hammering TRJ and Rashid. However, it was the leg breaks of Joe Denly that got the wicket - Khawaja tamely nicking to slip for a brilliant 79 from 62. Australia kept the pressure on, but so did England, who got Finch for 33 caught behind. The big breakthrough came in the 35th though, when Smith went for a second run that was never on. Carey and Maxwell played a lot of false strokes, but kept the runs going. TRJ eventually got a healthy snick from Maxwell, and then Carey nicking to slip for 51 later in the same over. Cummins let loose in the final overs, bludgeoning 60 from 26 before he edged one off Willey. the Aussies finished with 8/418 on a very flat wicket; still, it was imposing.

The Poms started their reply with a partnership of 174, something not seen yet under head coach Ddrap. Hain was very impressive, while Denly supported well until Behrendorff bowled him for 63. Hain immediately burned Root on a bad run call, while Eoin Morgan got a start and then out caught at point. Hain eventually got done in by the enormity of the chase, but his 146 was an outstanding knock against an almost full-strength Australia team. The English lower order all got a decent hit, but they could only manage 342 - while still England's best batting effort, it was short. Cummins had five wickets in a Man of the Match spell.

WC Warm Up vs Australia
Lineup: Denly-Hain-Root-Morgan-Fraine-Buttler-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Archer-TRJ. One change - Buttler in.
AFG lineup: Shahzad-Noor Zadran-Hazratullah-Shahidi-Stanikzai-Najbullah-Nabi-Gulbadin-Rashid-Mujeeb-Alam

This time, England lost the toss and were put in. Hain picked out Najib at cover very early on, but Denly and Root then built a platform until Rashid pinned Denly LBW at 2/68. Morgan, too, departed cheaply to spin. Root got set, but then in a huge blow, bottom edged a sweep through to Shahzad. Fraine departed cheaply to Alam, leaving us 5/87. Higgins and Buttler rebuild brilliantly, then accelerated. Higgins got out for a valuable 39 in the 43rd over, while Buttler went all the way through to the 50th before top edging one from Mujeeb. Buttler's 94 was key for England to get back into the match, and as a result, a defendable target of 247 was set. England rued not being able to hit Alam or Gulbadin better.

Afghanistan got a few runs to start off, but also looked shaky. TRJ was dangerous, and did get Shahzad in the fifth over edging to slip for a quick 22. Higgins came into the attack in the eighth over and had an immediate impact; one of his wobbly mediums trapped Noor Ali Zadran in front. The next pair did find some runs off Higgins, but could not play Willey, who got Hazratullah for 44. Archer, reintroduced to get a wicket, promptly delivered, with Shahidi edging to slip. Najibullah and Stanikzai added 70 runs, before Najib was bowled by Higgins, with Afghanistan needing just 57. Stanikzai, Nabi and Naib were good enough to do that.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Group Match
Lord's
England vs South Africa

England lineup: Hales-Hain-Root-Morgan-Denly-Buttler-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Curran-TRJ
Ultimately, I decided to drop Jofra Archer - that key wicket in the AFG game was his only one in the warmups, and he was expensive too. I also decided not to start Fraine. Hales and Curran, two players who are clearly in our best XI, come in for them.
SAF lineup: de Kock-Alma-du Plessis-van der Dussen-Markram-Miller-Morris-Andile-Rabada-Tahir-Ngidi. A very strong foe.

Lost the toss again. England were put into bat on a wicket that looked challenging. Hales immediately got a bad LBW call - Rabada's delivery was sliding down leg. The next pair, though, of Hain and Root were much more settled and proceeded to add 150. Root eventually picked deep mid wicket, but Hain continued through a cheap nick for Morgan to reach his second ODI century. Denly edged behind immediately after as the acceleration started. Hain was stumped off the final ball of the innings for an excellent 133 off 155 balls, and England set a total of 4/282.

Amla was dropped off his very first ball at second slip. This drop cost England just five - he picked Rashid at long on in TRJ's next over. du Plessis departed two balls later, yorked and out LBW. Curran dismissed van der Dussen in the eighth over, leaving South Africa off to a fast yet costly 3/68 start. Markram stabilised, but a bad shot off Willey was held at second slip this time. de Kock was storming at one end - 65 from 52 at the fall of Markram - but struggled for support. Miller was caught at cover off Rashid's third ball, and Morris was dismissed identically for six four overs later. The hammer blow for the Proteas was the fall of de Kock - plumb LBW to a fast and straight one from TRJ, leaving them 7/141 despite his great 82. Rashid and TRJ mopped up the tail, as South Africa collapsed to be all out 153, and I finally had a competitive win in ten games. Picked the most important one!

:eng: 5/282 (Hain 133, Root 76) beat :saf: 153 (de Kock 82, Rashid 4/19, TRJ 4/55)
MOTM: Sam Hain

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Group Match
Nottingham
England vs Pakistan

England lineup: Hales-Hain-Root-Morgan-Denly-Buttler-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Curran-TRJ (unchanged)
Pakistan lineup: Fakhar-Imam-Babar-Haris-Shoaib-Sarfaraz-Imad-Shadab-Amir-Hasan-Shaheen

Lost another toss, and we got to bowl first. That said, the pitch looked more bowler-friendly than most we'd been asked to bowl first on, and TRJ proved that by immediately pinning Fakhar in front. The bigger wicket was the next one, though - Babar, trapped in front by a big inswinger from Curran. Imam and Haris stabilised in general, then accelerated. That said, they did play a number of false strokes, and eventually one of those - off the bowling of Higgins - was held at short mid wicket. That removed Haris for 91, and Imam went for 89 two overs later - albeit with a drop of Shoaib Malik in the outfield in the meantime. Sarfaraz didn't last long, slicing a hook down Curran's throat at fine leg off Willey in the 42nd, while Curran was expensive at the other end but did remove Shoaib (caught at square leg) the next over. The next ball, Shadab was bowled. The hat trick ball was stoutly defended by Amir. Imad and Amir both struggled significantly in terms of scoring until Wasim was dismissed, after which Amir and Hasan added 27 from 8 balls before the latter edged to slip off ball 49.6. Pakistan set a par total of 6/294. Curran (4/62) and TRJ (1/44) were the pick of the bowlers.

Hales failed again, yorked by Hasan for eight - at least this time it was actually out. Root and Hain looked set to replicate the Pakistani pair of Haris and Imam, but just as they went to accelerate, Root snicked one to Safaraz and was gone for 33. Hain played nicely again, but was bowled by Hasan for 78 at a key moment - just as the Englishmen had to accelerate. Morgan's slow innings ended LBW to Shadab, and while Buttler and Higgins hit nicely, they along couldn't get 150 in 15. Again, batting causing a loss.

:pak: 9/294 (Haris 91, Imam 89, Curran 4/62) beat :eng: 225 (Hain 78, Shadab 3/49)
MOTM: Haris Sohail

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Group Match 3
Cardiff
England vs Bangladesh

England lineup: Fraine-Hain-Root-Morgan-Denly-Buttler-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Curran-TRJ. Still really happy with the bowlers, but I want to experiment with Fraine opening today.
Bangladesh lineup: Tamim-Soumya-Mosaddek-Shakib-Mushfiqur-Sabbir-Mahmudullah-Saifuddin-Mehidy-Mortaza-Mustafizur

We finally won the toss! I elected to bowl; England have been better setting a total, but the pitch wasn't one you bat on. The Bangladesh openers were quiet, and TRJ continued getting early wickets - Sarkar edged down leg side in the fifth. David Willey relieved him after four overs and immediately got Tamim plumb LBW, while at the other end, Higgins got a cutter to bowl Shakib - the huge wicket. His unusually good mediums then got Mosaddek the next over, leaving Bangladesh a perilous 4/61 - then added to that by inducing a top edge through to the keeper off Mushfiqur to leave them 5/64. Sabbir and Mahmudullah got to rebuilding, and they were helped by Sabbir being dropped by Buttler on 14. That, though, was aided by Willey yorking Mahmudullah for 33. Sabbir and Saifuddin, though, proved to be a thorn in England's side, staying in for 20 overs and adding 100 runs despite economical bowling from Higgins and Rashid. Curran eventually got Saifuddin LBW, then Mehidy caught at slip from his final ball. Sabbir finally went after a big drive at a full one from Willey, and TRJ then bowled Mustafizur to finish the Bangladeshi innings at 237. Everyone contributed - the only bowler without multiple wickets was Rashid, whose ten overs produced just 22 runs.

Fraine and Hain started slowly, but found their groove, adding 166 in the first 38 overs. Hain finally nicked behind and was out for 80, which was followed an over later by Fraine, bowled for 93. Despite these and the cheap dismissal of Morgan, yorked by Saifuddin, and Denly caught in the deep, England needed just 53 from the last ten, and made it with three overs to spare.

:ban: 237 (Sabbir 71, Willey 3/51, Higgins 3/61) lost to :eng: 5/238 (Fraine 93, Hain 80, Shakib 3/62)
MOTM: Will Fraine

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Group Match 4
Southampton
England vs West Indies

England lineup: Fraine-Hain-Root-Morgan-Denly-Buttler-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Curran-TRJ. Unchanged, although I feel for Hales.
West Indies lineup: Hope-Gayle-Bravo-Hetmyer-Lewis-Pooran-Russell-Holder-Roach-Cottrell-Gabriel.

We lost the toss, and were asked to bowl on a batter's pitch. The Windies dominated early proceedings, with neither Shai Hope nor Chris Gayle looking scared of the bowling. It took 33 overs and 200 runs for the breakthrough - Gayle edging Willey to slip - to come. Rashid almost got Bravo immediately - a big leading edge fell short of long on - but Tom Curran got him LBW three overs later. Hetmyer hit a four and then immediately did the same, Evin Lewis nicked the next ball to slip, and Curran had three in the over. He got Pooran in his next over, too. TRJ pinned Russell in front, then Hope finally chipped one back to the bowler to be out for a glorious 191. The Windies tail batted out the overs to set an imposing target of 9/386. TRJ was brilliant (4/59), as was Curran (4/73) - Hope got to everyone else.

England had to go from ball one. This was taken too literally by Fraine, who was out for a golden globe. Root was gone cheap too, and Hain's enterprising start was ended by another brilliant ball from Holder. Morgan's valuable 35 was cut short by Gabriel, and while nice knocks were played by Denly (42) and Willey (54), there wasn't a chance we chased it from there.

:wi: 9/386 (Hope 191, Gayle 113, TRJ 4/59) beat :eng: 210 (Willey 54, Russell 3/24)
MOTM: Shai Hope

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Group Match 5
Old Trafford
England vs Afghanistan

England lineup: Fraine-Hain-Root-Morgan-Denly-Buttler-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Curran-TRJ. Unchanged
Afghanistan lineup: Shahzad-Hazratullah-Noor Ali-Shahidi-Stanikzai-Najibullah-Nabi-Gulbadin-Rashid-Dawlat-Mujeeb

Bowled first again, for the same reason as the Bangladesh game. Curran got an early wicket, with an inswinger bowling Shahzad. A similar ball in his next over got rid of Noor Ali, although this time a pad was in the way. A solid stabilisation partnership between Hazratullah and Shahidi was ended when TRJ yorked the former, then trapped Stanikzai in front the next ball. Najib did nick the hat trick ball, but only along the ground. That led into another solid partnership, before a straight one from Higgins got rid of Najibullah. Rashid yorked Nabi, then two balls into the last ten overs, Shahidi was finally gone, edging TRJ to slip. Rashid got a few boundaries away off Curran, but was then bowled by the same man. Afghanistan did bat out the 50 overs, setting a potentially challenging target of 9/268.

The English openers added exactly 80 from the first 20 overs before Fraine was LBW off Nabi from the final ball of the 20th. Hain edged behind off Mujeeb four overs later, and cheap dismissals for Morgan, Buttler and Denly had England on the back foot. Higgins played a valuable 25, but was bowled by Mujeeb from the first ball of the last ten, leaving Root and the bowling all-rounders to get 67 from 59. Root went after Mujeeb, but picked Najib at deep square. Willey was bowled later that Mujeeb over, and try the last few batsmen might, they couldn't get home. England were left to rue going too hard at MOTM Mujeeb through the middle overs.

:afg: 9/268 (Shahidi 88, Curran 4/44) beat :eng: 9/244 (Root 80, Mujeeb 5/42)
MOTM: Mujeeb ur Rahman

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Group Match 6
Headingley
England vs Sri Lanka

England lineup: Fraine-Hain-Hales-Root-Morgan-Buttler-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Curran-TRJ. One change - Hales in to play at 3.
Sri Lanka lineup: Fernando-Perera-Mendis-Mathews-Dhananjaya-Karunaratne-Thisara-Jeevan-Udana-Vandersay-Malinga

Put into bat on a bad wicket... Fraine was out early, yorked by Thisara for nine. Hales missed a sweep and was dismissed by Vandersay, and Hain got a slightly harsh LBW call off Malinga for 38. Root missed a drive off the expensive Udana and was bowled, leaving England in trouble at 4/101. Morgan was plumb LBW two balls later. England scraped their way to 195... this didn't go to plan at all.

To win, we had to take early wickets, and while TRJ and Curran threatened, we didn't get anyone in the opening spell. Higgins, though, got the job done - a healthy knick from Fernando got rid of him for 21. Despite the loss of Mendis cheaply at the other end, Perera attacked, taking down Willey and Higgins. Perera fell just short of a ton, but SL needed just thirty from there. Mathews ensured this would not happen.

:eng: 195 (Udana 3/62) lost to :sri: 3/196 (Kusal Perera 97, Mathews 60*)
MOTM: Kusal Perera

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Group Match 7
The Oval
England vs Australia

England lineup: Fraine-Hain-Hales-Root-Morgan-Buttler-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Curran-TRJ. Didn't like last game at all, but don't want to drop Hales again after one knock.
Australia lineup: Warner-Khawaja-Smith-Finch-Carey-Maxwell-Cummins-CoulterNile-Starc-Zampa-Lyon.

We were put in to bat, but for once I would have asked to bat had I have won the toss. The openers did well - staying in for over half the innings, although the scoring was slow - it was 1/137 when Fraine nicked Coulter-Nile. Hales ran himself out, and Hain walked across his crease and was out LBW to Lyon for a brilliant 94. Smith at slip then dropped Morgan on two. This was costly, as Morgan and Root added 100 before Root edged to the keeper for 42. Morgan made 61, and a bit of late hitting saw us make 5/315.

Australia clearly decided to attack, as they took 27 from the first two overs. The issue with that approach was the risk. Warner found that out in the third over as he edged TRJ to gully, where Morgan held on. Khawaja was LBW to Curran the next over, meaning that while Australia had scored 47 from the first 4 overs, they'd also lost both openers. Curran yorked Finch in his next over. Carey and Smith were electric, though. England kept angling for a wicket that came far too late - Carey for 136, caught at cover off Rashid's final ball. The Aussies walked it in from there.

:eng: 5/315 (Hain 94) lost to :aus: 4/316 (Carey 136, Smith 125*)
MOTM: Alex Carey

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Group Match 8
Headingley
England vs India

England lineup: Fraine-Hain-Hales-Root-Morgan-Buttler-Higgins-Willey-Rashid-Curran-TRJ. Just gotta get my bowling tactics better this time!
India lineup: Dhawan-Rohit-Kohli-Rahul-Jadhav-Dhoni-Hardik-Jadeja-Bhuvi-Kuldeep-Bumrah

Lost the toss again, and got asked to bowl. India looked less confident from the off, and Rohit was bowled by TRJ in the fifth over. The prized wicket of Kohli followed in the exact same fashion the next ball, and while KL Rahul survived the hat-trick ball, India were rattled. Rahul edged to slip off TRJ's next over, and Jadhav was yorked later in the same one, leaving India 4/25. Shikhar and Dhoni recovered well, but when Dhoni feathered a Rashid wrong-un through to Buttler, it was trouble again. Shikhar brought up his hundred, but just after, Hardik edged Willey behind. Dhawan was finally dismissed by Higgins, with one that was given LBW but may have pitched outside leg. The tail, though, showed fight - Kuldeep hit a quick fifty to bump India up to 296 all out as a final score.

Hain was eventually first out for 29, but it should have been less - both openers were dropped by Kohli at slip. Fraine struggled throughout his innings, and eventually edged behind for 47 from 73. Root was dropped by the keeper on 1, but bowled by Bumrah for three an over later. Hales went caught behind too, one short of fifty. Despite an enterprising fifty from Willey, England again fell short - simply, the openers were too slow once again.

:ind: 296 (Dhawan 120, TRJ 4/54) beat :eng: 8/24 (Willey 51*, Bumrah 2/38)
MOTM: Shikhar Dhawna

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
World Cup Match 9
Durham
England vs New Zealand

England lineup: Hain-Hales-Root-Denly-Duckett-Buttler-Willey-Archer-Rashid-Curran-TRJ. Three changes.
NZ lineup: Guptill-Nichols-Williamson-Taylor-Latham-Munro-Neesham-Santner-Sodhi-Boult-Ferguson. Southee is out hurt.

Finally, we won a toss, and elected to bat. Boult got Hain LBW cheaply, then Ferguson did the same to Hales for 24 the next over. Root and Denly stabilised, then upon the loss of Denly (bowled by Santner), the other end looked to accelerate as Root kept anchoring. England finished on 4/241 despite some Buttler theatrics, as Root struggled to accelerate late.

TRJ struck straight away, removing Guptill for a golden duck. Willey cleaned up Nicholls for 26, but that was all until far too late as an 85-ball ton for Kane Williamson - something nobody on England seems capable of - lost us the match. Or so it seemed, as Rashid removed both Williamson and the solid Ross Taylor in the same over. Munro and Neesham both fell in his next, and TRJ cut through the tail... not quite quick enough. The Kiwis just got home with a wicket to spare.

:eng: 9/241 (Root 93*, Buttler 66*) lost to :nzf: (Williamson 118, TRJ 4/47, Rashid 4/60)
MOTM: Kane Williamson

Well, that sucked. @Aislabie how do you play ODIs again? I'm like 2 and 15 now

Users who are viewing this thread