Answers to Questions to EA Sports Producer Andrew Wilson

Ste

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
The answers to your first batch of questions sent to Andrew Wilson; Producer of Cricket 2005 at EA Sports, have just come back to us. We hope to send another batch of questions to Andrew Wilson soon so keep posting your suggestions for questions here

c2005.jpg
producer.jpg

Here are the answers in full:

Asked by Barmyarmy:
Are you going to be fixing any of the bugs from Cricket2002 that were still in Cricket2004?

Definitely. One of the first things that we do when we start a new game is go through bugs from the previous game and look to ways of fixing them.

Asked by Stevie:
Are you bringing the game out earlier as a result of the fierce competition with Codemasters?

No. Our development plan is locked to when we felt was the best time to release a game.

Asked by thecricketfan:
What changes have been made in terms of game play compared to the last EA cricket game?

This list is too long to list in this context. However, some key points to note are:
- - Completely new technology has allowed us to deliver a much smoother fluid gameplay experience. We have seen what can be done with this technology by what we achieved with Rugby 2005 this year. Cricket will benefit from the same improvements. Have such a solid technology base means that we can focus far more on perfecting the game play.
- - Utilization of EAC?s motion capture facility has meant that we have amazing data to work with. All of EA?s games are motion-captured here. While this, on the surface, appears to be just visual, capturing over 1000 new moves has meant that we can realistically animate real world cricket game play.
- - The all new bowling HUD and bowling stamina means that the gamer is rewarded for good bowler management and varying line and length according to the pitch and the facing batsman
- - With the new animations, we have been able to deliver even more batting moves, so that batting feels more realistic than ever
- - Fielding is always a challenge for cricket games. We have worked a great deal on refining the system and ensuring that each fielder responds as he should?.and the wicket keeper will field the ball.

Asked by fanirama:
What kind of game engine is powering it and what kind of improvements will we see visually over Cricket 2004.

As with Rugby, we have used the FIFA technology. Not enough can be said about this technology. Working with makes building video games such a joy. As you will be seeing with the screenshots and the movie that will soon be released, Cricket 2005 looks stunning.

Asked by themuel:
Will swing actually be in this game for fast bowlers?

It sure is. The other thing with bowling is that if you bowl consistently good and varied line and length, special deliveries are made available to the bowler. These are different depending on each individual bowler. If the batsman starts to strike back and hits a couple of boundaries, these are taken away until you build up good consistency again.

General:
Will there be any online play?

Not this year.

Asked by Hero:
As Codemasters are implementing new features to make improve their bowling to make it as much fun as possible, what steps have HB taken to enhance the enjoyment of bowling?

Please see above.

Asked by m_vaughan:
Is it going to be released on PCCD or PCDVD?

PCCD

Asked by denver82:
for the second most popular sport in the world are we going to see such a limited (and delayed in the UK) release like last year?

No

Asked by ritwik:

Will we be able to add and edit players, teams and tournaments ?

there is a full player editor offered?the same as FIFA.

Asked by zimrahil:
Does the CPU pace their innings intelligently for a change, like keeping wickets intact for a final assault when chasing a large total in a one-day match, or if CPU only requires 10 of the last 5 overs with 4 wickets left, will it bat sensibly and cautiously to ensure the win and not just slog at every ball. I.e is the match situation now taken into account ?

Yes. This is something that we have worked hard on this year. Writing situation specific AI is a challenge, but something that we believe we have made significant advances on.

Asked by Ste:
what modes can we expect in this years release ?

We have 11 modes in total, but each of these will have a number of sub modes. We have everything from Tests, One dayers, The Ashes, International Tours, Domestic Seasons, C&G Trophy, Frizzell Championship, Pura Milk Cup, ING, the list goes on? The depth of game-play will keep cricket fans playing for a long time.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
Ste said:
The answers to your first batch of questions sent to Andrew Wilson; Producer of Cricket 2005 at EA Sports, have just come back to us. We hope to send another batch of questions to Andrew Wilson soon so keep posting your suggestions for questions here

c2005.jpg
producer.jpg

Here are the answers in full:

Asked by Barmyarmy:
Are you going to be fixing any of the bugs from Cricket2002 that were still in Cricket2004?

Definitely. One of the first things that we do when we start a new game is go through bugs from the previous game and look to ways of fixing them.

Did he just say that?! Could I kindly remind him of bugs carried over from Cricket 2002 plus additional bugs to Cricket 2004.

Other than that, fair play to Andrew on actually answering some of the questions questions! I'm still going to wait for reviews and people's opinion on the game first though.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Ste said:
Asked by Barmyarmy:

Bollocks. They obviously didn't do that before Cricket 2004!

And please, in the nest batch of questions ask him why we should believe him, after all the lies he told in the Cricket 2004 interview. We can't kiss his arse too much!

jdbais

International Cricketer
Sounds good if you ask me. I like the situation specific AI part. Hopefully they can deliver.

denver82

School Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:

And please, in the nest batch of questions ask him why we should believe him, after all the lies he told in the Cricket 2004 interview. We can't kiss his arse too much!

Let's be fair. I remember in Cricket 2002 that you could dive over the boundary to catch a six and turn it into a wicket long after it landed. That certainly wasn't in Cricket 2004. With the huge amount of bugs that game had Cricket 2004 did address the most gratuitous.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
denver82 said:
With the huge amount of bugs that game had Cricket 2004 did address the most gratuitous.

No it didn't. The line up bug remained which totally destroyed 2004

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting, i see my question for Andrew's view on this years general elections were overlooked. I think Andrew looks like a bit of a womaniser, theres definatly something inbread about him.

I agree with Mr Nixon, although i would have used bum flaps instead of Bo**ocks, we have impressionable youth on here after all :)

The lineup bug did ruin 2004. As did the run out bug, and the fact you couldnt get batting and bowling stats on a forign tour, which made them pointless.

brad352

Executive member
Ste said:
Asked by zimrahil:
Does the CPU pace their innings intelligently for a change, like keeping wickets intact for a final assault when chasing a large total in a one-day match, or if CPU only requires 10 of the last 5 overs with 4 wickets left, will it bat sensibly and cautiously to ensure the win and not just slog at every ball. I.e is the match situation now taken into account ?

Yes. This is something that we have worked hard on this year. Writing situation specific AI is a challenge, but something that we believe we have made significant advances on.
That interests me

Ste said:
Asked by Ste:
what modes can we expect in this years release ?

We have 11 modes in total, but each of these will have a number of sub modes. We have everything from Tests, One dayers, The Ashes, International Tours, Domestic Seasons, C&G Trophy, Frizzell Championship, Pura Milk Cup, ING, the list goes on? The depth of game-play will keep cricket fans playing for a long time.
So same as last year then- and we'll certainly be playing for a long time, if the gameplay holds up

Last edited:

steppie

Club Cricketer
Ste said:

hey andrew ,,,can we make a custom international tour which will include 3 ODI:S and 5 test or 5 odi and 3 test????Like if i want bangladesh to take on england like the upcoming series in england ,can i make a custom tour or its just fixed????pls repyly if anyone knows,thanks a lottt

msamina

Club Cricketer
zimrahil said:
No it didn't. The line up bug remained which totally destroyed 2004

Cricket 2002 also had the line-up bug as well? Now, that is bad.

akira2291

Club Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:

And please, in the next batch of questions ask him why we should believe him, after all the lies he told in the Cricket 2004 interview. We can't kiss his arse too much!

i think, thats the most important question next time, please get this question next time... at this time although we can only speculate, C2005 could as told here in this interview, but can also be how 2004 was told in the past interview of C2004.... lets see. :upray

nik

International Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:

can't agree with u more!

Users who are viewing this thread