TENNIS AO Tennis 2

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
Ball physics is certainly important but sometimes and specially in the case of side spin it can be made too important. Fact: side spin is certainly important to tennis specially when it comes to top spin & drop shots and well done to them for adding it in. However we all have to admit that in your glory of getting them to make it more prominent in the game, it can seem over exaggerated and maybe needs to be toned down abit specially on drop shots (which are now harder to time) and down the line top spin shots.
We all appreciate your push for it in the game, however sometimes too much of a good thing isn’t always a good thing especially when it can ruin the natural look and feel of the game.
This is all part of the tweaking and refinement process of the game so hopefully onwards and upwards from here.

Tends to happen a lot of down the line flat shots as well, which makes the AI damn near impossible to beat when they pull those out of no where.

CraigMc24

Club Captain
Just a FYI I have created a scenario Hewitt Vs Federer Davis Cup Semi 2003 I think it came up alright well atleast as best as I could get it for now. It starts off at Federer serving for the match 3-5 in the third. So if you guys want to give it a go let us know what you think. Also just a heads up for some reason it only seems to show the first set score during the sit-down/change of ends which is weird.

Attachments

• D97623F9-8CCB-4ECD-B3D4-7D1A055A77CE.jpeg
    D97623F9-8CCB-4ECD-B3D4-7D1A055A77CE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: DAP

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I do have a UK Account, is the game worth the 50 GBP being asked for it? It is cheaper in AUS Store.

saturator

Club Cricketer
By massive slow down do you mean sometimes the visual moves slower that its supposed to and you end up missing the shot and this is random.I found that as well on xbox s happens on cricket 19 as well.
Yes it's exactly that. PS4 pro version is ok. No slowdown

Mrobertson156

School Cricketer
Ball physics is certainly important but sometimes and specially in the case of side spin it can be made too important. Fact: side spin is certainly important to tennis specially when it comes to top spin & drop shots and well done to them for adding it in. However we all have to admit that in your glory of getting them to make it more prominent in the game, it can seem over exaggerated and maybe needs to be toned down abit specially on drop shots (which are now harder to time) and down the line top spin shots.
We all appreciate your push for it in the game, however sometimes too much of a good thing isn’t always a good thing especially when it can ruin the natural look and feel of the game.
This is all part of the tweaking and refinement process of the game so hopefully onwards and upwards from here.

Firstly, I didnt push them to make side spin "more" prominent in the game, because at AO1 release it didnt have side spin in the game....at all, except I think on Serves. So in the end all shots now have an element of side spin, just like in real life. Big Ant, please do this for the Cricket games, where even edges do not have side spin, its crazy.

Otherwise, fully agree CraigMc24 with your post, and as I said I am glad they listened when my advice was given, but it is ironic how over the top especially for forehands down the line the side spin implementation is, and has been all the way since they added it in.

Ball physics other than that are great though.

Incidentally, I have only "played" AO2 by watching AI vs AI so far, and I am seeing a lot of unenforced errors, I have only had it on Grand Slam level so far so possibly, with the AI being that good on Grand Slam level, that the AI player is forcing the other AI player into an error after sending him/her out wide, or off balance, or whatever, due to its perfectly played shot, and people getting used to the game are maybe not pushing the AI into mistakes, so hopefully people will start seeing errors from the AI the better they get.

The Nintendo Switch version is amazingly good, it seems to have everything in it that the Steam version has, well played BigAnt! ;)

Last edited:

BittuGamz

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Unable to import png files for play face. Not showing files when clicked on import.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I do have a UK Account, is the game worth the 50 GBP being asked for it? It is cheaper in AUS Store.
I am still waiting for some opinions. Really thinking.

MJT1994

Club Captain
Played a bit more now and I think the ai definitely needs to hit more unforced errors. I’m wondering how difficult it would be to implement a few player styles in a patch. Maybe something like attacking (attacks the lines, more unforced errors, more winners), defensive (plays safer, less unforced errors, less winners) and maybe a server (strong at serving, lots of aces, slow moving around the court).

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
Played a bit more now and I think the ai definitely needs to hit more unforced errors. I’m wondering how difficult it would be to implement a few player styles in a patch. Maybe something like attacking (attacks the lines, more unforced errors, more winners), defensive (plays safer, less unforced errors, less winners) and maybe a server (strong at serving, lots of aces, slow moving around the court).

The whole play styles for players was something they talked about being in the game from the off. Seemingly that hasn't happened, so far the AI is much like it was in the first game.

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
Real shame. Hopefully it can be implemented. I see no real reason as of yet to purchase the game.

I'd actually forgotten about that until @MJT1994 mentioned it. Like I know they added court preferences for players, so I hope that wasn't what they meant by different play styles.

I just finished my second career match, first in a tournament. Of course pitted against the #1 seed and his stats were 20 better than any of mine on each stat, the amount of knee strains happening seems a bit weird... lost 7-5, 6-1 in the end, just opted to experiment with different ideas in the second set since I knew I was going to lose.

lewismufc

School Cricketer
The moment they sort the AI unforced errors out, this game will actually be far better off.

They need to hurry up with that though - did it done before the AUS open begins! Also, slices need to be slowed way down. Going through the court far too rapid.

Nard2020

Club Captain
The moment they sort the AI unforced errors out, this game will actually be far better off.

They need to hurry up with that though - did it done before the AUS open begins! Also, slices need to be slowed way down. Going through the court far too rapid.

It's been said elsewhere but it's worth repeating-i think the unforced error thing is down to video game design idealogy. In every gaming genre, the AI at it's highest difficulty is nearly perfect. In that mindset, an AI at it's highest in tennis would mean a perfect player.....in video game terms relating to tennis, that's a player that doesn't miss. Making any mistake (let alone frequent ones) is the opposite of what one would consider a "hard AI". I know most of the complaints are coming from people that are playing at the higher levels. For me personally, i won a match 63 62 with AI at Amateur and the opponent made 8 errors. I did a simulated AI vs AI match that same round and they made 28 errors combined in a 76 62 match.

It's true that even the Djokovic and Nadal's of the world make errors, but if they did play at their absolute best would they really have double digit errors?? No. It may not be fun playing an AI that doesn't miss but it's a catch 22 if they patch it in because how realistic would it be at Grand Slam difficulty with an AI making 30 mistakes....

Mrobertson156

School Cricketer
Yep as I said, certainly there are lots of AI vs AI unforced errors especially at the highest level.

Just watched some real Tennis, and in comparison to all Tennis games, you never get the error by the AI (not sure if it happens for us playing it) where the ball mishits completely and flies upwards or to the side, not even making it to the other side of the net, so to add that in would be great.

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I'd actually forgotten about that until @MJT1994 mentioned it. Like I know they added court preferences for players, so I hope that wasn't what they meant by different play styles.

I just finished my second career match, first in a tournament. Of course pitted against the #1 seed and his stats were 20 better than any of mine on each stat, the amount of knee strains happening seems a bit weird... lost 7-5, 6-1 in the end, just opted to experiment with different ideas in the second set since I knew I was going to lose.

I just started an amateur career, and I was surprised how good the AI player was. I think he was too good for that level, even though he was the top seed.

It doesn't seem right that in the very first career match we get to face the #1 seed.

The injury thing is weird, you're right. It's a good idea, but when you see a player barely able hobble around between points, and then play without any ill effect, it doesn't make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread