TENNIS AO Tennis

D

Deleted member 9102

This is absolutely not true in Australia or UK.

You are also confusing retail price with wholesale prices. What BA sell to retailers for is not necessarily reflective of what the retailers charge on.

DBC17 was RRP $99, $89 at JB Hifi. Ashes Cricket was $79 at JB Hifi. I got my copy for <$50 online. No chance you would have picked DBC up for under $50 within a month of it's release.
For PC it's £49.99 on Steam with no opportunity of buying from any other retailer or there being any form of discount. Far higher price than both DBC17 (£39.99) or DBC14 (£31.49).

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
For PC it's £49.99 on Steam with no opportunity of buying from any other retailer or there being any form of discount. Far higher price than both DBC17 (£39.99) or DBC14 (£31.49).
Right, apologies @kulch I was referring to console, which according to the master race is normally more expensive ;)

That is indeed a rip off for AC in it's current state.

TBH the only reason I bought it was because it was under A$50 and worth a punt. I gave away my copy of DBC 17 when I sold my old PS4 a few month ago. The more I play AC, the more it feels exactly like a re-skinned DBC to be honest.

D

Deleted member 9102

Right, apologies @kulch I was referring to console, which according to the master race is normally more expensive ;)

That is indeed a rip off for AC in it's current state.

TBH the only reason I bought it was because it was under A$50 and worth a punt. I gave away my copy of DBC 17 when I sold my old PS4 a few month ago. The more I play AC, the more it feels exactly like a re-skinned DBC to be honest.
That's the impression I got from videos, and without a demo/academy this time around I'm not just going to shell out 50 quid when I'll probably end up thinking it sucks anyway. The only way to try it out would be to buy, play for <2 hours and then refund it but that hardly seems worth the effort from what I've seen of and heard about it since release.

Last edited by a moderator:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Pretty damning review of AO Tennis by IGN. They gave it 4.5/10 and essentially recommended staying away from the game...
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/01/18/ao-tennis-review

Here are a couple of snippets from the review...
AO Tennis claims to be ‘the most advanced tennis game ever produced,’ but it’s clear that its lofty ambition far exceeds its ability to execute. Certainly AO Tennis is not even up to the standard of the Top Spin or Virtua Tennis games released an entire console generation ago, and is about as absent-minded, half-hearted, and personality free as a birthday card from Bernard Tomic.

At its best, AO Tennis is a clumsily controlled simulation of the sport. At its worst, it’s underdeveloped, under-featured and entirely broken in certain areas. It could well be improved in the weeks and months ahead via dedicated developer support, but as far as first serves go this one has landed with a thud, well wide of the service box.

invisibleman18

Club Captain
Got it on release day and so far only had time for a couple of one set matches on amateur difficulty to try and get the hang of it. I liked it and didn’t find it too bad to be honest. Found it difficult and it definitely feels like points have to be earned which is good. First match while trying to get to grips with the shots I didn’t manage to get a point until the 4th game and only managed 4 points overall. Second match I started to get the hang of it a bit and won 6-4.

Definitely a lot room for improvement which will hopefully come with updates. Main problem I had was sometimes when you hit from the side of the court the player is too slow to turn around and you can’t get back to the middle in time. Volleys were tricky to react in time and to aim. Commentary would also be a nice addition. A practice mode like the net sessions in the cricket games would be really useful. Something like a ball machine feeding you and targets to aim at would be really helpful in learning the different shots and getting the hang of timing and footwork so you can spend a bit of time focusing on a particular stroke rather than having to get to grips with it all in a match when you're more concerned with winning the point than learning how to play properly.

Would love for a tutorial/practice mode like this to be added in an update and surprised it wasn’t already included given you get it in Don Bradman.

Haven’t looked at player creator, career or Aus Open yet, just had time to try a couple of sets.

Been waiting for a new tennis game for a long time so I’m glad these are now being produced. Found it quite playable with a few things that could be improved. It's not the best sports game ever and is probably a little pricey for where it is initially. But with tennis being my main sport and having waited so long for a tennis game on PS4 I figure they will only get further support and continue to be developed if there's demand for them and people buy them.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Just saw that - ouch... Melbourne could well sell out of aloe vera for all those burns in the article :eek:

With "Tennis World Tour" and "Mario Tennis Aces" scheduled to come out later this year I doubt AO Tennis will do much business globally. The game is poor compared to Top Spin 4 which came out 7 years ago and I'm highly sceptical that Big Ant turns it around to compete with Tennis World tour.

Bleddyn

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Instead of coming out and facing the criticism head-on, admitting their mistakes and telling us what will be done differently in the future... They just go silent and only make the typical vanilla PR posts on Facebook/Twitter that you'd expect from faceless corporations like EA.

Nail on the head man. A quick glance at the actual BA forums shows that they have abandoned any response to AC issues, in the AO forums it is just the usual "SOON™" that you have come to expect from bigger companies. Very disappointing.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
It's just becoming more ambitious effort for them to create as many games in sports...And being a reasonably smaller company I guess it becomes too much to handle.. Always being a big fan of BA but now it just feels like everything is gonna be high priced to show "support" with patches which the game needs to rectify basic stuff, is just unacceptable..
They need to make a better engine as many of the underlying issues of all their games are present there before making another game which shows similar issues to what there are in the already released games by them...

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Nail on the head man. A quick glance at the actual BA forums shows that they have abandoned any response to AC issues, in the AO forums it is just the usual "SOON™" that you have come to expect from bigger companies. Very disappointing.
The worst part of that is, for devs under the watchful eye of a large publisher that's completely understandable.

For a company self publishing, there is no reason to not give out as much info as possible other than to avoid a backlash when you can't/don't deliver on what you've said. If you can't back yourself to succeed, then who will?

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
more likely they go bust before making another cricket game.Tennis is world wide and most games players have come across a tennis game at some point so there will be huge interest in the game which will disappear pretty quickly if the game doesn't work properly and is too expensive to start with .Its not like cricket where people are more obsessed and will pay over the odds and even spend countless hours to make the game better

Users who are viewing this thread