1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TENNIS AO Tennis

Discussion in 'Sports Games' started by beechcroft, Aug 29, 2016.

1. zimrahil Administrator

zimrahil
    Infamous Raptors PlanetCricket Award Winner
    AKA:
    Zim
    National Team:
    England
    Domestic Team:
    Worcestershire
    After all the patches can you elaborate in what way it is now frustrating/boring please?

2. jabbathehut Club Captain

I would have thought most tennis games have a shortish lifespan unless there is a decent 2 player mode a game of tennis is a game of tennis

3. Madman National Board President

Madman
    National Team:
    It literally is just sticking a jpeg on the head as the texture... Anyone here can download it on Steam and check for themselves or I could show a video.

If there are extra capabilities then the UI really doesn't do a good job of making it intuitive... All I could find was "ATTACH PlayFace" which simply lets you browse for the jpeg, with no further functionality. The 3D model has to be modified manually by using the existing options, and the jpeg needs to be put together in another program to produce any sort of decent result.

Pretty funny to come up with a special name like "PlayFace™" for something so rudimentary as simply changing a face texture... I remember other games having this sort of feature ~15 years ago;

Tony Hawk's Underground from 2003 did it with more depth, with the face mapping and colour options, as well as a better UI that shows you how to use it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Nathaus said thanks for this.
  4. JohnnyDGaming89 Club Cricketer

JohnnyDGaming89
    It's all well and good to say it's had a lot of patches, but the game was released in a very broken state, we've been the beta testers essentially since then.

Every patch has produced new bugs/glitches after removing some that were previously there.

The defensive shot looks awful, it either loops up high into the sky and gradually drops onto the other side of the court or lightly spoons up and over.

Ball physics are still all over the place, volleying still comes off the racket at a million miles an hour, the CPU manages to return any smash you produce, but you can't do the same to theirs

Stamina seems to impact your player but never the CPU who manages to still reach almost every shot with ease

Your player still gets stuck in animations and just watches the ball go by or will just give up on a shot it thinks you won't reach when it's right next to you...

I mostly record the game so people can see what they are getting into for the global launch, part of me hopes they don't dive into another tennis game anytime soon. I'm sure some people love the game and think it's the bees knees, but I definitely enjoy Full Ace Tennis far more despite it's graphical differences

zimrahil said thanks for this.
  5. Llewelynf ICC Board Member

Llewelynf
    PlanetCricket Award Winner
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    Highveld Lions
    upload_2018-4-18_1-37-58.png

Federer and Djokovic before and after PlayFace

Madman, Gamer Pradosh and beechcroft thanked this.
  6. Nathaus Club Captain

Nathaus
    AKA:
    Slow And Steady
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    Western Australia
    I mus
    I must say your original likeness of the Joker is incredible. The only different of note is he hasn't shaved for a few more days!

7. flake County Cricketer

flake
    If anyone can give a sort of step by step instruction method on how to do this, that’d go a long way.

8. Madman National Board President

Madman
    National Team:
    That Djokovic does look excellent to be fair!

francobaldo1, Llewelynf and Dutch thanked this.
  9. Llewelynf ICC Board Member

Llewelynf
    PlanetCricket Award Winner
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    Highveld Lions
    beechcroft said thanks for this.
  10. Madman National Board President

Madman
    National Team:
    Dream Match Tennis... Wow, I thought that was long dead! The original on PC from 2006 had some really interesting gameplay mechanics and was on the sim/hardcore side... Animations/graphics were not great but there was a lot of potential, hopefully they also decide to make a non-VR version as well.

Llewelynf and beechcroft thanked this.
  11. beechcroft County Cricketer

National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    Middlesex
    Yes, DMT was pretty good. Unfortunately, I'm very prone to motion sickness, so no VR for me.

Llewelynf said thanks for this.
  12. beechcroft County Cricketer

National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    Middlesex
    New developer diary video. Looking forward to May 8!

Llewelynf and Dutch thanked this.
  13. JohnnyDGaming89 Club Cricketer

JohnnyDGaming89
    I actually complimented them on that video, but they've blocked me on YouTube lol... so they won't even see that I finally said something nice about it

14. sonimrajk Club Captain

sonimrajk
    National Team:
    India
    @Llewelynf
    Hi, did you get a chance to play doubles in the latest beta build? If yes, can you plz let me know whether gameplay improved?

15. beechcroft County Cricketer

National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    Middlesex
    sonimrajk and Llewelynf thanked this.