TENNIS AO Tennis

D

Dutch

PC Users - I would really like to know what you think of the Ball Physics in the current build. Haven't heard a peep out of anyone regarding this.
Well I be darned! Its mikey! Will give some feedback on this later today!

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
PC Users - I would really like to know what you think of the Ball Physics in the current build. Haven't heard a peep out of anyone regarding this.

Hi mikeymerren,

Not sure if you have been reading my comments re: sidespin on ground strokes on other threads on this site, I would guess not as they are mostly in relation to Tennis World Tour's lack of it (Top Spin 4 was the same, rubbish).......but re: the new AO Tennis ball physics, and with me bordering on buying the PC version as currently on the 1080p PS4 Pro version, wondering if you have enhanced the "bend" that appears on certain ground strokes (making them more life-like being as all real life ground strokes curve in flight) as part of this recent PC version big update, as I feel AO Tennis would greatly improve if that were implemented better?

And if not, hopefully something for you to enhance in the very near future, as your game is coming along very nicely indeed!

Thanks!

D

Dutch

Well to be clear I am a very average tennis player and have only recently got into tennis games on the PC: Full Ace is a very good game but I am enjoying AO tennis and see that it is coming on. Now playing Full Ace and looking past the obvious graphic and animation shortcomings it has, it does very much feel like tennis and more importantly it feels that my inputs, shot selection and execution, my positioning are having a visible and tangible effect on the game whereas wit AO tennis it feels more that my hand is being held......

......the top spin in Full Ace really curves through the air and jumps up at you as I have experienced on a real court and the back spin causes the ball to bounce less and slow down.....this makes for very realistic experiences.......I think FA has really got the physics nailed down well.....AO is coming along well and I enjoy it especially for the depth and the sense of actually being there rather than wit Full Ace whereas I find the whole experience a little flat because of the graphics.

So I think there could be more work done on giving the player the sense that his inputs are really causing the ball to do what it does for better or for worse.......an example is the return of service which even though it is red still falls in the court....I cant do that with Full Ace....it goes out and wide or long or in the net......

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
Well to be clear I am a very average tennis player and have only recently got into tennis games on the PC: Full Ace is a very good game but I am enjoying AO tennis and see that it is coming on. Now playing Full Ace and looking past the obvious graphic and animation shortcomings it has, it does very much feel like tennis and more importantly it feels that my inputs, shot selection and execution, my positioning are having a visible and tangible effect on the game whereas wit AO tennis it feels more that my hand is being held......

......the top spin in Full Ace really curves through the air and jumps up at you as I have experienced on a real court and the back spin causes the ball to bounce less and slow down.....this makes for very realistic experiences.......I think FA has really got the physics nailed down well.....AO is coming along well and I enjoy it especially for the depth and the sense of actually being there rather than wit Full Ace whereas I find the whole experience a little flat because of the graphics.

So I think there could be more work done on giving the player the sense that his inputs are really causing the ball to do what it does for better or for worse.......an example is the return of service which even though it is red still falls in the court....I cant do that with Full Ace....it goes out and wide or long or in the net......

My problem is that ALL Tennis games have top and back spin showing on the ball graphically on the ball itself, and showing with how the ball arcs in the air, but only the very few games are intelligent enough to have had sidespin on the ball implemented for all ground strokes, flat, topspin, slice, each and every shot in real life that we see on the Telly and when we play, bends in flight to little or to a great extent (Nadal's forehand for example), its natural ball physics, and yet coders seem reluctant to have this in their games except on Serves which sometimes curve in flight due to a slice Serve for example.

Lazyness is what it boils down to from coders in most cases as clearly the mathematics involved in allowing for the curve of a ball in flight to adjust where the receiver, especially when the CPU AI player is receiving a shot, needs to react accordingly and with all or most shots 100% straight as per in the overated TS4 and now the putrid TWT, knowing where the ball will land is simple and easy to calculate.

I dont include Full Ace or Tennis Elbow in that statement, they are both spot on for the ball physics, and I wont include Big Ant in it either because AO Tennis does have some shots that show the ball spinning with slight sidespin and the ball bends in flight ever so slightly to depict how that sidespin is affecting the shot path in the air. I am hoping that mikeymerren and his team enhance that sidespin and make it more pronounced, it really would make things look better and play more realistically.

Last edited:
D

Dutch

My problem is that ALL Tennis games have top and back spin showing on the ball graphically on the ball itself, and showing with how the ball arcs in the air, but only the very few games are intelligent enough to have had sidespin on the ball, every shot in real life that we see on the Telly and when we play, bends in flight, its natural ball physics, and yet coders seem reluctant to have this in their games except on Serves which sometimes curve in flight due to a slice Serve for example.

Lazyness is what it boils down to from coders, and I dont include Big Ant in that statement because AO Tennis does have some shots that show the ball spinning with slight sidespin and the ball bends in flight ever so slightly to depict how that sidespin is affecting the shot path in the air. I am hoping that mikeymerren and his team enhance that sidespin and make it more pronounced, it really would make things look better and play more realistically.
I think Full Ace does this quite well.....the slice serve really curves ?

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
I think Full Ace does this quite well.....the slice serve really curves ?

Every shot in Full Ace curves in the most real life manner, if only all these hyped up nonsense games like TS4/TWT had coders with the intelligence to have that in their games, they are shamsters, the coders of them games.

I have high hopes for AO Tennis though from the ball physics so far that are "getting there", and I really cant wait to find out what the new PC update has done to the ball physics.

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
Side spin is definitely something I want to look at. That curve from an awesome passing shot down the line - basically curving around the opponent... that's what I want.

Its already kind of, but only very subtley, in the game already isnt it? I watch lots (I am so very very sad!) of slow replays and analyze the ball spin and movement and on rare occasions, on ground strokes, there is visible movement in the air to either side, and when it happens, the ball has top or back spin on it but also a very slight side spin, i notice the ball pattern rotating to depict what i mean.

So great that you have just said that though mikeymerren, you guys deserve all the support from us, especially with how you have recovered from that initial rocky start, great progress, get that ball curving baby!!!

mikeymerren

Big Ant Studios
Big Ant
There is side spin - but currently there isn't a specific reason for it and it's very slight.

Need to have well timed high powered shots doing it or maybe having the modified top Spin (Aggressive Shot) getting it more.

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
Side spin is definitely something I want to look at. That curve from an awesome pamdassing shot down the line - basically curving around the opponent... that's what I want.

and I love when CPU AI can do the same shots too, so if you enhance it I hope they can produce them down the line curving shots too.

I will give you 2 weeks to implement it........................just kidding, anything you guys can do will be great!!

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
There is side spin - but currently there isn't a specific reason for it and it's very slight.

Need to have well timed high powered shots doing it or maybe having the modified top Spin (Aggressive Shot) getting it more.

:thumbs

Don’t forget slice shots have plenty of side spin too!

D

Dutch

Without wanting to turn this thread into a full ace appreciation society I think it is well worth noting how the top spin in that game really spits and bounces at you when receiving, you really feel hurried and have to get into position quickly to account for it, reading it early......

Users who are viewing this thread