April 2 - India v Sri Lanka - The Final!

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
India vs Sri Lanka

vBookie added. Odds Bet365.

Last edited:

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Quite surprised with Sri Lanka's odds, the teams are quite evenly matched. Both India and SL have problem with their middle order batting and bowling is fine not the most threatening attack like Pakistan or South Africa had. Toss might play a crucial factor because of the dew.

Anyhow, I would like India to win the toss and bat Sri Lanka out of the game like Australia did in '03 and '07.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
That Sri-Lankan top-four is in frightening form, and Mahela has barely had a bat all tournament. There's not much for afters, though. I think Chamara Silva is seriously a waste of a one-day batsman. He takes too long to settle and then doesn't have the shots to make up for lost time. That's not the guy you want at six, especially when you already have Samaraweera doing the anchor role at five. I think Kandamby is a better batsman, or even Sanga's favorite Kapugedera would be better in that slot.

Malinga's been a little up and down in this tournament and I feel Sehwag for one will certainly try to target him the way he targeted Gul. Sachin will probably play his normal game as he has done for pretty much ever match, though his scratchy innings against spin will probably give Sri Lanka a lot of confidence given their battery of spin bowlers. Remember that the Wankhede tends to aid the spinners and our performance against the Pakistani spinners was nothing to write home about. This will be the great Murali's last game, as well, and he'll be charged up.

Sri Lanka have a hideous record in India, which is really surprising to me, considering that we've been evenly matched and our respective conditions aren't all that different. India will have to be wary of underrating the Sri Lankans, though, because the last time we did that in a world cup, we went home from our own party and they won the damn thing! Having beaten our two biggest rivals, I hope our team doesn't fall victim to the anti-climax trap and doesn't turn up on Saturday.

May the best team win. It'll be hard rooting against Sri Lanka since I'm a fan of so many of their players, but what can ya do? :)

jacobfelix

International Coach
hmmm....So, on Apr 2,it's

India v/s SriLanka at Wankhede Stadium
Indians v/s Lassana Dias at PCF stadium :D

Last edited:

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hoping for a cracker of a match. Only if we can get Dilshan early, we'll relieve a lot of pressure on ourselves. He is an absolute beast.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Dhoni confessed that he was wrong in dropping Ashwin and picking Nehra for the SF match against Pakistan. Well Nehra's decent performance shouldnt hide the fact that Ashwin deserves to play on a Wankhede wicket that will help the spinners well enough. I would drop Nehra for Ashwin. Also got to see how serious Gambhir's hamstring injury is. If he doesnt play, its a safe pick for Yusuf Pathan and bat Kohli at one down and have Raina and Yusuf lower down the order.

Jeeto INDIA!!! (WIN IT INDIA!). But after the 2003 tragedy, I will maintain a balanced frame of mind and not get too euphoric too soon. This is our best chance at winning the World Cup, and hope we click on Saturday!

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Murali will play. There's no way they'd leave him out. Tendy and Murali's final game ODI ever. Both legends now have the chance to give their nations the biggest gift with their final performance. Will be epic :D

Dar and Tauffel umpiring as well :thumbs

jacobfelix

International Coach
I remember in the early 90's, Muralitharan's earlier days....Sixer Sidhu had gone after him like hell.... :D

Hope in the final, Sachin-Sehwag & co. give Muralitharan a crying farewell... :D

Muralitharan 10 - 0 - 85 - 0 :cheers:cheers :D

Zaxotes

National Board President
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Obvious! Pakistanis are gonna Support Lanka!
The matter is like this:
According to hindu mythology Rama waited 14 years in exile, then won the battle at Lanka.
So, the cup was taken by Lanka in 1996. 14 years up! So...
Rama brings the piece of beauty sita (world cup) which was taken by Ravana (SriLanka) in 1996 and exactly after 14yrs of VAN VAAS..!! RAMA comes back VICTORIOUS, this time to MUMBAI?:p

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
After seeing how Pak's bowlers performed against the Indian batsmen, I'd say SL are favourites for this. SL's bowling is as good, if not close, as Pak's and their top 4 are in tremendous form. The Indian line-up isn't as good as it appeared on paper.

Plus SL will be the more focussed of the two. India have just come of an emotion-fuelled clash against Pak. That takes a while to come down from.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
After seeing how Pak's bowlers performed against the Indian batsmen, I'd say SL are favourites for this. SL's bowling is as good, if not close, as Pak's and their top 4 are in tremendous form. The Indian line-up isn't as good as it appeared on paper.

Plus SL will be the more focussed of the two. India have just come of an emotion-fuelled clash against Pak. That takes a while to come down from.

Let me present the other side of the coin.

India in spite of not "batting quite well" still made 260 against Pakistan which was a tough total under the conditions as it turned out.

I'd say India has had tougher games against strong opposition and are mentally better prepared in the tight situations than SL who has had a pretty easy run so far, beating two teams that aren't at the greatest in sub-continental conditions to reach the final. And Sri Lankan batting can be put under a bit of pressure if their top 3 get out cheaply as they haven't had much match experience so far.

On the other hand, India has also chased down a reasonable tough total against Australia which was not at all easy given their bowling attack.

Dhoni's calm attitude shows that he's not going to let the team lose focus for the final. And his handling of the limited bowling resources has shown that Indian bowling can be made to look formidable given the right total on the board and the right conditions.

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
I can't see India winning. When you struggle against Hafeez and Ajmal, you're going to struggle against Murali and Dilshan.

And the SL batsmen aren't going to gift their wickets away unlike Pak.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I can't see India winning. When you struggle against Hafeez and Ajmal, you're going to struggle against Murali and Dilshan.

And the SL batsmen aren't going to gift their wickets away unlike Pak.

Fair point, but as India have beaten tough opponents in this Cup, I think it's not so simple. Also even if the top order struggle, we've still been making totals consistently above 250 in this tournament. And our batting got a boost because of Raina's good run of form.

Besides, whatever may be, mentally I think the Indian batsmen are far more comfortable against spin than outright pace. And to be honest, Sachin just had an off-day in his batting against Pakistan still making 85. Yuvraj got out to a terrific first ball yorker and yet we have 260 on the board against Pakistan. It could have been 280-300 had Yuvraj got a chance to play a longer innings.

Dhoni's the only really out-of-form batsman in the line-up and I don't think he's going to come into form to be honest.

So with 70% of our batting strength, India has still made lots of runs batting first.

And Sri Lanka's batting in the middle order is still untested in pressure situations in this cup.

It all evens out and Dhoni's got a knack of winning Cup matches. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread