Review Ashes Cricket 2009

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
A very accurate review, ive only played for a couple of hours and completely agree that it feels rushed, the batting is enjoyable apart from the no ducking, but bowling i feel is impeded due to the camera being too far from the wicket, as well as the points that you have made, plus theres no real feeling of pace. im sure a lot of these issues will be rectified by the great patchers on this site but thats not really the point is it???

paradisekingy

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
the batter does duck, only if it is really straight at him though otherwise he does the standerd leave

nz0003

International Cricketer
Gun review, I expected some of these.

Have to have a look for myself in a week.

Swingers

Club Cricketer
Well thats a pretty detailed review, has reduced my excitement a bit but at least its an honest review.

Hope I like it, got a feeling my initial feeling of it being better at ODI and 20/20 games may well be true by the looks of it.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Man this review is so brutally honest. My appetite for the game has surely withered away a bit after reading the review. NO duck button. Even a DUCK designing the game will have brains to include a duck button. Are transmission guys vegetarian or something :D.
The offspinner magic delivery is also a game breaking thing. Now we will not even bowl with off spinners. That will take a lot of fun out of the game. Saeed Ajmal will not be part of my test playing eleven now :noway. I have still got to try the game but my hopes are nowhere as high as they were before this damning but honest review. Great job mate :clap

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I thought I was able to duck under a rising delivery in demo! You don't have a separate button for it but if you don't play any shot to a delivery that is coming straight at you at a good height, the batsman ducks under it.

jmxx009

School Cricketer
I hate it when there is so much ' hype ' around a game and when the game releases it is not as good as they say !!!
After all those initial Q and A's with the developers, i was expecting this to be the best cricket game ever. Now i am dissapointed. I wish a patch would be released to sort out Ai pacing and the fact that the AI gets overly aggressive against our bowling unneccesarily.
Well, atleast they have taken the right step. Hopefully ashes 2011 will be better.

Oh and brilliant review mate. U've pretty much said everything i wanted to know

Cheerz

the-excalibur

School Cricketer
Great review mate - detailed and honest. Thanks! Some questions:

Ashes Cricet 2009 - PS3
My ODI experiences show AI pacing to be quite poor. (I'll post a picture later). Scoring 270 odd with England, New Zealand were all out for 159 in under 24 overs. Swann took 5-47 from 4.4 overs. I got 3 runouts in this match, I don't know if this was more likely to happen because of the "chase" or just because the bug is still quite bad.

Did Swann get the wickets due to the off-spin bug? If so, and there were 3 more wickets due to the run-out bug, then maybe it wasn't the AI pacing that was bad, but the bugs that caused it to get all out so early?

Ashes Cricet 2009 - PS3
The player editor is quite limiting. There aren't many facial changes you can make to the players, but skills ability is limited too. According to the manual, you can increase the points available to players - excluding England and Australia players, their skill ratings aren't changeable, which is frustrating, for a start Luke Wright can bowl at about 60mph in the game, and Andrew Flintoff is rated a better batsman than Andrew Strauss - by exemplary play. This includes scoring runs, hitting boundaries, timing the ball, taking wickets and catching the ball. A more open editor, would be a lot more appreciated.

Can't the over-aggressiveness of batsmen such as Ponting, Clarke and Hussey, which was a problem in your test match, can be adjusted by the player skill ratings?

Ashes Cricet 2009 - PS3
We've not had a simulated cricket game patched by the developer since EA's Cricket 2002. The users who buy the game for the PC, can not only get a cheaper game, but also have the potential to mod the game, which would mean that even if we don't get an official patch, we might get some clever patchers to improve the squads, and possibly the AI.

One big question I have is what makes this game moddable, when previous iterations of the BLIC series were not because of the opaque game design? I haven't followed all the developer Q/As etc, but did they mention that this game would be more amenable to modding/patching by the community? If so, that is great news.

One other question: did reverse swing, pitch wear&tear have any effect on the gameplay?

vishalsparadise

Club Cricketer
loved the review..very detailed even though a proper opinion on the bowling system would have been good..also from the demo i felt like the AI while fielding dropped a lot of balls that bounced at them while trying to stop it..do they dive to stop boundaries or just run near the ball and stop to watch the ball sail by the ropes :doh
while most bugs of BLIC 07 have been rectified , there still remain a few and new ones have arised like the offspinner magin delivery thing.
ooh my ! why is it always the cricket fans that has to suffer :mad:
just hoping for a patch or a reply from the developers on something.

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Sureshot, there is a way to duck the short balls
In the demo, I just left the short ball like normal leave without pressing a button or offering a shot and the batsman nicely ducked the ball. If its not short enough it sometimes hits the batsman but mostly it works fine
I think the review was a bit harsh. It may not be on the standards of fifa and nfl in terms of simulation but its the best game I have played since blc99 and I have only played the demo which has far more bugs. All I want to so is give these guys a chance people and please buy the game. It will help them understand that cricket games work and they can make money for them. Which will help them make better cricket games

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
68%? That doesn't sound like the kind of score most of the guys in the 'retail impressions' thread would give.

Also, if anyone finds an 'insta-wicket' ball/field setting, keep it to yourselves, eh? If we find it ourselves, fair enough, then it's our decision whether to use it or not, but otherwise, we don't need to know. It just spoils the fun of the game a bit if you know about 'insta-wicket' balls.

Sureshot

Executive member
Great review mate - detailed and honest. Thanks! Some questions:

Did Swann get the wickets due to the off-spin bug? If so, and there were 3 more wickets due to the run-out bug, then maybe it wasn't the AI pacing that was bad, but the bugs that caused it to get all out so early?

Three of his five wickets were with this bug. Nah, they were still going far too aggressively to achieve an innings run rate of 5.85.

Can't the over-aggressiveness of batsmen such as Ponting, Clarke and Hussey, which was a problem in your test match, can be adjusted by the player skill ratings?

Well, it could possibly make a difference with some players. You can't touch the skills of English and Australian players in the in-game editor.

One big question I have is what makes this game moddable, when previous iterations of the BLIC series were not because of the opaque game design? I haven't followed all the developer Q/As etc, but did they mention that this game would be more amenable to modding/patching by the community? If so, that is great news.

Well, we don't know it is. But, TG have said they've built it from scratch, so it isn't a part of the BLIC series, per se. Although the same publisher. No, I doubt any dev/publisher would say how easily moddable their game is by third parties.

One other question: did reverse swing, pitch wear&tear have any effect on the gameplay?

Yes. Pitch wear and tear has an affect. Although the 2nd day pitch looks hideously over worn. Reverse swing is there, can't say I ever got to a point in an innings where it was available though. Not many test innings lasted more than 55 overs by the opposition.

I didn't know about the duck. It's quite daft, that 1) they couldn't give you the option to duck, as there are spare buttons available on the controller, 2) it's not mentioned in the manual, HUD or legends coaching.

If the AI didn't have it's random moments, which I found completely destroyed a lot of the experience for me, it would be close to an 80% game. But remember, this is my review and is just my opinion from playing the game extensively for 5 days. Not everyone will agree with me, I've just put in to the review all my thoughts about the game since Saturday.

As mentioned by vishalsparadise I didn't give a proper opinion on the bowling system. I'll add it here. I also forgot something rather important from the batting POV. I'll put them in the review too.

Bowling system

This is a well implemented part of the game. You can get a lot of variations, and these can be bowled based on a bowlers skill, confidence and even fatigue. I like the ability to change the delivery based on what button you press. So, if I start off with a outswinger, I can turn it in to a slow ball, in-swinger or straight one. This could be deadly on-line! The inability to bowl at most bowlers proper speed, is a poor contribution to this side of the game. Anderson feels so non-threatening bowling at low 70s. It is a put off. Apart from that you can use a guide to tell you when you can bowl a particular delivery. If Swann isn't high on confidence then he can't bowl the doosra. By using this preview guide, it will tell you why you can't bowl a certain delivery, with reverse swing deliveries, It will be because the ball hasn't been worn enough. Another issue I found with bowling, was the bowlers stamina. My best example was playing against New Zealand and Iain O'Brien's stamina bar was "weary" after 3 overs!

One major disappointment from batting, was that leaving the ball caused the batting confidence meter to drop ever so slightly. This was prevalent in BLIC 07 and was a major annoyance within the game to many users. From what I remember of that problem, this time around it seems to affect the confidence meter less. I had scored 32 from 64 with Cook, and 7 from 45 with Strauss. Except Strauss had twice the confidence of Cook.

MasterBlaster76 said:
68%? That doesn't sound like the kind of score most of the guys in the 'retail impressions' thread would give.

Also, if anyone finds an 'insta-wicket' ball/field setting, keep it to yourselves, eh? If we find it ourselves, fair enough, then it's our decision whether to use it or not, but otherwise, we don't need to know. It just spoils the fun of the game a bit if you know about 'insta-wicket' balls.

I've seen some guys saying they would take the game back, I also know others who have refrained from being honest about the game for fear of other members moaning. This review is my opinion, others will give different reviews. Some better, some worse. Just look at other reviews on here, I was scouring through some for Cricket 05, and the index shows scores varying from 2.5-8+.

As for keeping it to myself. This is a major issue, it's a standard line from a spin bowler. Everyone would find it for themselves within a couple of overs. It was my best example at explaining how bad the AI, from my experience, is in certain parts. To spin bowlers, the AI is shocking. You can see that from my run rates with Swann varying from 6-8 in test matches, and 6-11 in ODIs. Yet, he will always get wickets. In fact, wickets in general are easy to come by.

vishalsparadise

Club Cricketer
^ interesting how the game has come by..and thanks for the review on bowling..something on the fielding too would be appreciated like new animations,spectacular diving stops,catches or AI blunders as we are used to..anything about the fielding you liked or hated.hope you are not annoyed at telling you to write more and more :D

i will surely buy the game even though there are a few bugs.am a PC user and confident that PC members can find a way to mod the game.and by the looks of it,the game has far fewer bugs than previous games , still thats not the way it should be.68% is ok for me as i know the low visual quality(also no AA) and lack of enough content and proper editor has affected the low scores.

it will be a better game against a human opponent.and i am going to look at this point :)

Users who are viewing this thread