Review Ashes Cricket 2009

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
My main problem is going at less than 15 rpo in test matches.

I cannot wait for our first online game herr Colin.

DrEvil_orig.jpg

dahc04

School Cricketer
Well part of the problem is that I've got no idea to where to pitch. Where I think it a good length or where the computer thinks is a good length. I can't hit the stumps bowling on what is actually a good length in real life.

I found this as well. if the bowling marker is not yellow or light green. You get smashed for 4 or 6. I found myself bowling the same line and length no real variety to keep the run rate down.

diaskasun

Club Cricketer
Cant we get our guys to make a AI patch. i am sure we have people who have a good idea about all this

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I think I've figured out the problem with the lengths...
A good length is actually the red zone not the green zone but the game wants you to bowl in the green zone and towards and yellow zone. You can't hit the stumps unless you pitch it right up.

Attachments

• ingame.jpg
    ingame.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 72
  • lengths.jpg
    lengths.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 67

10dulkar

Club Cricketer
A good length is actually the red zone not the green zone but the game wants you to bowl in the green zone and towards and yellow zone. You can't hit the stumps unless you pitch it right up.
When can we expect your review and ratings colin?

Sureshot

Executive member
I remember reading somewhere that you get points or achievements for scoring 500 runs in a series or taking 30 wickets etc. So surely there must be some form of stat tracking - but is it right that we can't access this in game? ie for team selection

It's good to hear that Colin has put this to them......fingers crossed then

Nope, nothing in the later tests to say, "Flintoff series: etc" There is no stat tracking at all. I will end up using a spreadsheet and doing it that way.

tajjuk

School Cricketer
I think the game has a lot of potential, or at least a lot more than 07, but that is only if the developers throw a few pathes out there, I mean things like the run out bug, bowling speeds and AI aggressiveness should be fairly easy to tweak, same with the magic off-spinners delivery, I imagine the right handers are just playing the wrong shot to it, however Codies never patched 07 so it worries me that they will do the same here and we then just have another let down.

i mean we are a long way off a Fifa or Pro-evo like product, but essentially we just want the game play sorted, the flashiness and extra features can come later. And barring the things that have been mentioned were not far away, both in the batting and bowling the seems to be more options and more variety, batting isnt just a slog fest and bowling is more instinctive, so sort these few issues out and give us a patch!

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
I think the game has a lot of potential, or at least a lot more than 07, but that is only if the developers throw a few pathes out there, I mean things like the run out bug, bowling speeds and AI aggressiveness should be fairly easy to tweak, same with the magic off-spinners delivery, I imagine the right handers are just playing the wrong shot to it, however Codies never patched 07 so it worries me that they will do the same here and we then just have another let down.

i mean we are a long way off a Fifa or Pro-evo like product, but essentially we just want the game play sorted, the flashiness and extra features can come later. And barring the things that have been mentioned were not far away, both in the batting and bowling the seems to be more options and more variety, batting isnt just a slog fest and bowling is more instinctive, so sort these few issues out and give us a patch!

I'm afraid the runout bug will not be easy to fix. It would require some core code to be re-written and would rely on the code being made 'patchable' from the outset. I just cant see a developer doing major surgery like this. Minor patches, sure, but the runout bug seems endemic and will most likely be in the 'too hard basket'.

I hope they can prove me wrong though.

D

Dutch

Yeah, I have noticed that if you pull the marker right back it changes to light green again, not just close to the stumps. But how realistic is that? In all the hundreds of comments and impressions I have not come across one single person saying they managed to bowl someone out, ie with a fast bowler with a direct hit on the stumps. That's mad in my opinion.

P

pcfan123

Yeah, I have noticed that if you pull the marker right back it changes to light green again, not just close to the stumps. But how realistic is that? In all the hundreds of comments and impressions I have not come across one single person saying they managed to bowl someone out, ie with a fast bowler with a direct hit on the stumps. That's mad in my opinion.

I have bowled the AI plenty on the demo. What works for me is to pick a straight delivery and hold it in the yellow zone, right at the very end I change it to an outswinger and push it right in line with off stump and fuller. Many time the AI will play a weird late cut and get bowled.

Also bowled with a few arm balls.

I agree it is not as often as other games, but it is not missing either

D

Dutch

I have bowled the AI plenty on the demo. What works for me is to pick a straight delivery and hold it in the yellow zone, right at the very end I change it to an outswinger and push it right in line with off stump and fuller. Many time the AI will play a weird late cut and get bowled.

Also bowled with a few arm balls.

I agree it is not as often as other games, but it is not missing either

Ah okay, so if I am understanding correctly, you move the aiming thingymabob just before releasing or afterwards?

Users who are viewing this thread