Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
That's where I don't think Big Ant are doing themselves any favours; having so many difficulty levels and allowing people to tweak the game with the modifiers. Others might disagree. But I think, for a small developer, and such a complex sport (three forms of one sport in fact), it'd make a lot more sense to having nothing but Amateur, Pro, Veteran and Legend that incorporates every differing aspect of difficulty and clear explanations of the differences. It seems the way it's set up at the moment it can only make it more difficult to test, tweak and perfect a game when there's so many variations open.
Thats a really good point...Even I have suggested the same that they could have just made use of modifiers for different difficulties and lock them up...Even pitch conditions the modifiers could play a really good role..Hard pitch- Up the pitch and ball bounce by 10-15 points or even more based on the country and pitch...If such things could be considered it would be lot more realistic and when people wanna play custom then it needs to be custom difficulty alone...No modifiers should be allowed when selecting other difficulties..

If they can set code for the variation in modifier based on the weather, pitch, timing, country, then they can really make a difference in gameplay...Like day 4 pitch cutters should seam up more than day 1...Windy condition swings more etc...

They can even make the slightest change in modifiers automatic way in the sense that the pitch feels different after lunch session , tea session etc...Similarly for D/N ODI matches bring in dew factor as well with pitch friction values and ball travel....So many stuff can be done if they just lock it and make us play the game..

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Intriguing... sounds like seem is inadvertently linked to length - is this for cutters only? obviously the seem position shouldn't effect anything to do with a cutter so I wonder if it's a mechanism to alter the length instead...
Not 100% about how other deliveries are effected. I'd only really noticed the huge difference when I'd adjusted to that 5pm position on a cutter. It could be that using seam control effectively overrides the delivery rather than modifying it.

It's why I'd like spin control with the ability to vary the amount of sideways spin and introduce over and under spin.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Not 100% about how other deliveries are effected. I'd only really noticed the huge difference when I'd adjusted to that 5pm position on a cutter. It could be that using seam control effectively overrides the delivery rather than modifying it.

It's why I'd like spin control with the ability to vary the amount of sideways spin and introduce over and under spin.
Yeah hearing about seam control actually tempted me to see the feature for spin but that wasnt done..But definitely something they have to in the future...Controlling the spin seam for spin control would take spin to another level...

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello.

I used to play and mod Cricket 07 a lot and just getting back into the Cricket gaming with this one. I've been tampering with the settings when batting to create more LBW and Bowled dismissals and had some success. My problem now is that I can NEVER get caught behind the wicket from an edge or anything. Does anyone know of any settings or slider tweaks that will allow more misstimed shots to be edged behind?

Thanks.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Yeah hearing about seam control actually tempted me to see the feature for spin but that wasnt done..But definitely something they have to in the future...Controlling the spin seam for spin control would take spin to another level...
I think the classic spin controls are out of balance compared with how the classic pace bowling is now. It'd be a lot better if they scrapped the stick rotating and just had the delivery option with the seam/spin control. Move it to 9pm for a full ripper of a leg spinner and the closer you move to a 12pm position you get the less sideways spin and more over spin. I just play with standard controls on spin now cause after two games of turning that stick it's just become tedious.

christy_lenin1

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hello.

I used to play and mod Cricket 07 a lot and just getting back into the Cricket gaming with this one. I've been tampering with the settings when batting to create more LBW and Bowled dismissals and had some success. My problem now is that I can NEVER get caught behind the wicket from an edge or anything. Does anyone know of any settings or slider tweaks that will allow more misstimed shots to be edged behind?

Thanks.

Batting Difficulty - Hard
Shot Timing - 50
Foot placement - 60
Bowl quality influence - 60
Shot choice - 90

I got this setting from @WealeyH and it works in every match I have played so far. It doesn't work for me if i increase or decrease any of the values. Give it a try

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I actually like the way that BA have implemented spin bowling and I prefer it to feel different to pace bowling (i.e. stick rotation is a good thing, for me, particularly now that you only do it once rather than the three times in DBC 14). You have control over revs based on both the degrees you rotate the LS and the amount of flight you apply. The flight modifier is also good for adjusting speed. Having said that I could see that there would be some advantages to changing the delivery selection from a four way choice, e.g. for leg spinners: leg break, top spin, googly and slider to delivery being based on rotation so, as @wasteyouryouth suggests, if you select at 9 o'clock you get maximum leg spin as you move further towards 12 it gets more top spin, as you move beyond 12 it increasingly becomes a googly and as you head towards 6 it is getting more backspin. I would still retain the flight adjustment and the rotation of the stick to control revs...I would also make over-stepping no-balls a possibility based on RS timing.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Question - why do some cut shots go through square leg for four and vice versa? Some serious amateur-like oversights with the play testing here *ducks for cover*

Because the game is bugged, that's one of the more extreme ones but there's also...

-Batsmen playing a hook shot to a yorker length delivery resulting in you getting bowled
-Cover drive coming out instead of straight drive
-Wrong defensive shot animation coming out for yorker length delivery, again resulting in a bowled
-Playing fine leg glances a lot of the time the batsmen hits the ball into himself
-One front foot cut shot animation is horrible for balls that are pitched up and wide, the batsmen takes a huge step in back in the opposite direction and then swipes completely missing the ball everytime because you're so far away from it, even if you put your foot placement towards the pitch of the ball. Just a useless shot

Batting feels really limited to be honest.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I actually like the way that BA have implemented spin bowling and I prefer it to feel different to pace bowling (i.e. stick rotation is a good thing, for me, particularly now that you only do it once rather than the three times in DBC 14). You have control over revs based on both the degrees you rotate the LS and the amount of flight you apply. The flight modifier is also good for adjusting speed. Having said that I could see that there would be some advantages to changing the delivery selection from a four way choice, e.g. for leg spinners: leg break, top spin, googly and slider to delivery being based on rotation so, as @wasteyouryouth suggests, if you select at 9 o'clock you get maximum leg spin as you move further towards 12 it gets more top spin, as you move beyond 12 it increasingly becomes a googly and as you head towards 6 it is getting more backspin. I would still retain the flight adjustment and the rotation of the stick to control revs...I would also make over-stepping no-balls a possibility based on RS timing.
I'd enjoyed it in DBC14 but I was glad it was reduced to one turn with DBC 17 but even then I began to find it an unnecessary layer of complexity to the control system. The standard controls for spin in Ashes are actually very close to how I'd envisaged wanting spin bowling to be. If there was a way to determine how much spin you want to attempt when choosing your delivery I think it'd be 100% what I had in mind.

As far as I'm concerned bowling is two processes: you decide what you want to bowl and then you try and execute it. Pace bowling on classic replicates this so well. Standard spin does (with the exception mentioned). For me, classic spin bowling doesn't. You decide what you want to bowl, then have to do this spinning of the stick and then try to execute it. Why do you have to do that for spin and not swing? You have the foot placement for pace bowling but why not for spin bowling? I'd sooner have foot placement and release controls for all bowling styles.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I'd enjoyed it in DBC14 but I was glad it was reduced to one turn with DBC 17 but even then I began to find it an unnecessary layer of complexity to the control system. The standard controls for spin in Ashes are actually very close to how I'd envisaged wanting spin bowling to be. If there was a way to determine how much spin you want to attempt when choosing your delivery I think it'd be 100% what I had in mind.

As far as I'm concerned bowling is two processes: you decide what you want to bowl and then you try and execute it. Pace bowling on classic replicates this so well. Standard spin does (with the exception mentioned). For me, classic spin bowling doesn't. You decide what you want to bowl, then have to do this spinning of the stick and then try to execute it. Why do you have to do that for spin and not swing? You have the foot placement for pace bowling but why not for spin bowling? I'd sooner have foot placement and release controls for all bowling styles.
I get what you're saying here and everyone will have there own preference but I much prefer having a different experience bowling spin to bowling pace. The rotation of the LS actually makes intuitive sense to me because it is about applying rotation to the ball. It wouldn't make sense to do this for swing. I actually think that spin bowling operates to your two step process (deciding on what you want to bowl and then trying to execute) in exactly the same way as it does for pace. There second part of this process for both is actually two steps (so it is really a three step process). For pace you need to time when to jump into your delivery stride (back on RS) and in spin you need to time rotation of the ball (rotate LS). Then for both types you need to time the actual release and line of the delivery.

I'm not saying spin couldn't be improved. I like your approach to a more analogue delivery selection and I would also really like to see the number of revs actually mean something...I really can't see that a ball spinning at 900 revs turns any more than one spinning at 1800 revs...if they could make variation in LS have a noticeable effect on the degree of interaction with the ball off the pitch, it would make the LS much more relevant.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I get what you're saying here and everyone will have there own preference but I much prefer having a different experience bowling spin to bowling pace. The rotation of the LS actually makes intuitive sense to me because it is about applying rotation to the ball. It wouldn't make sense to do this for swing. I actually think that spin bowling operates to your two step process (deciding on what you want to bowl and then trying to execute) in exactly the same way as it does for pace. There second part of this process for both is actually two steps (so it is really a three step process). For pace you need to time when to jump into your delivery stride (back on RS) and in spin you need to time rotation of the ball (rotate LS). Then for both types you need to time the actual release and line of the delivery.

I'm not saying spin couldn't be improved. I like your approach to a more analogue delivery selection and I would also really like to see the number of revs actually mean something...I really can't see that a ball spinning at 900 revs turns any more than one spinning at 1800 revs...if they could make variation in LS have a noticeable effect on the degree of interaction with the ball off the pitch, it would make the LS much more relevant.
While I was writing I was thinking the same, they are both 2 or 3 steps, whichever in terms of execution. The jump and release for pace feels so much more fluid (and like two steps) compared with the spin. In the middle of bowling I'm being asked to do an extra skill, it replaces the jump, but back on the stick to jump feels natural. Turning the LS, I always imagine to be the equivalent of a bowler in IRL swinging their arm in loops to generate revs.

The other factor is I don't like using the bowling hud for timing, it just keeps me in the mindset that I'm playing a video game. Since the back half of my time playing DBC17, after I've selected my delivery, I'm looking at the bowler for my timing cues. I'd love to be able to split the hud in two so it disappears after I've picked my delivery but I just make do now by looking away.

Just thinking off the top of my head, for me, I'd be fine if the rotating was replaced by moving the LS to different angles (like I'd mentioned) for slight variations to trajectory or, reduce revs, stuff like that.

saumil007

School Cricketer
How to view age of my player in career mode, please help I can't find it anywhere

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Somewhere in the bowels of my mind I recall this being stated by BA....

Well set all catching stats to 1 for all aus players and I tried to 6 hit every ball. Every wicket was caught in outfield, no drops :(

Users who are viewing this thread